Upgrading to the NX1 from Canon, ideas?

sandro

• Super Members

​You can't?  Why not?  I use my Sigma EF mount lens on my M43 and ASP-C cams all the time.  

Are you misunderstanding or unaware of how you can use these lenses across different camera bodies with a simple adapter?

What electronic adapter that allows the Canon's electronic focus by wire are you using on the NX1?

I think every single NX1 owner wants to know because as far as we know, it doesn't exist. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​Jimmy - I have the A7s as well and just ordered the NX1. Have you done many shoots with both cameras? How well do they match up?

​I don't really do narrative, so use the each camera for different needs.

I think as long as you get the exposure right though, they should match up well.

What electronic adapter that allows the Canon's electronic focus by wire are you using on the NX1?

I think every single NX1 owner wants to know because as far as we know, it doesn't exist. 

​As I said, I'm personally using the Sigma 10-20 on a dumb adapter. It focuses manually fine.  

I also have a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM.  I've had the 50 mm - F/1.8 - Canon EF.  The 50 mm - F/1.4 - Canon EF.  The 40 mm - F/2.8 - Canon EF.  As well as a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Zoom Lens for Canon EOS Digital SLR Cameras.

Never had an issue grabbing manual focus with any of that.  It's not as elegant as mechanical, but it can be done.  You can't rig some of 'em up with a focus rig, but ultimately you can focus.   

If you're shooting video should you really use auto focusing anyway?  My opinion is that you should not. ...and with a wide 10mm focal length @f4.5, it really shouldn't be a trouble.

And again, my posts on this thread have been qualified from the perspective of using glass for cinema/video, which is what the OP was asking about.

He already has a piece of wide angle glass, why consider buying another one?  This is not a snarky question.  I really am interested in his opinion of why he wants to do so.

He already has a piece of wide angle glass, why consider buying another one?  This is not a snarky question.  I really am interested in his opinion of why he wants to do so.

​His 10-18 is an EF-S (not EF), and he doesn't seem to know of EF-S/NX adapters. OP: they exist (e.g., this and this), but you might want to Google for more.

​As I said, I'm personally using the Sigma 10-20 on a dumb adapter. It focuses manually fine.  

I also have a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM.  I've had the 50 mm - F/1.8 - Canon EF.  The 50 mm - F/1.4 - Canon EF.  The 40 mm - F/2.8 - Canon EF.  As well as a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Zoom Lens for Canon EOS Digital SLR Cameras.

Never had an issue grabbing manual focus with any of that.  It's not as elegant as mechanical, but it can be done.  You can't rig some of 'em up with a focus rig, but ultimately you can focus.   

If you're shooting video should you really use auto focusing anyway?  My opinion is that you should not. ...and with a wide 10mm focal length @f4.5, it really shouldn't be a trouble.

And again, my posts on this thread have been qualified from the perspective of using glass for cinema/video, which is what the OP was asking about.

Well I'm not interested in autofocus... if I can control aperture manually from the adapter then no... I don't need to buy a new lens since I only care about manual focus and  aperture! I thought that on digital lenses you're stuck at full aperture.

Also will ef-s lenses cover the entire NX1 frame?

• Super Members

I've never used auto focus in my life and imo it's not even invented yet. 

But again. What adapter are you speaking of that allows the Canon ER-S electronic focus by wire to function for MANUAL focus on the NX1?

Or could it be that you haven't been paying attention? ;)

I did a test once with the ef 10-18 and a dumb adapter on a bmpcc. 

Since its focus by wire I expected no control at all. But the funny thing was it apparently focus when zooming. So it could be used with an ND for exposure. 

I absolutely do not recommend it,but it was a fun experiment. 

https://youtu.be/T6wPNkkfq8E

Nice tree house. love the look of those black magic cameras.

EF-s lenses work on the normal EF adapter. The Nx1 has a 1.5 crop (similar to Nikon APSC) instead of 1.6 crop on canon. So using EF-S lenses shouldnt be a problem, the only issue is no aperture control.

I, like you, will be buying the NX1 tomorrow or so, and am thinking of getting the 18-35mm f1.8 as my go to lens. Will probably buy the Nikon mount since there are adapters with aperture control for nikon lenses.

His ef-s 10-18 is focus by wire. It needs an electronic adapter for Manual Focus. 

​You tell me. Is that true?  I've never used it.  All I did was list my experiences.  It does NOT have the ability to adjust focus without power?  As I've said, I've used numerous Canon lenses that have electronic auto focus and were able to manually focus.  If I'm wrong I'm wrong.  Happens a lot, but that would be a pretty lousy design from Canon...which, actually, wouldn't surprise me.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Just to clarify for fuzzy: yes you are right you can use Canon lenses EFS or EF with manual adapters on any camera including the nx1, you'll just lose the ability to change iris (which needs an electronic adapter)

BUT, Canon being Canon, have recently made a line of lenses with STM designation (Stepper motor for silent and smoother video AF with Dual pixel AF which is great, they are truly revolutionary in video AF), but with one issue, the STM lenses are ENTIRLY electronic, the focus ring doesn't directly shift optical elements to focus but instead sends a command to an electronic motor that hence moves the optics (focuses), so yes, any STM lens will NOT focus without power, and of course IRIS and IS won't work too. 

What makes this more irritating is that they made a completely unrivaled one-of-a-kind lens that's STM, a 250$ 10-18mm with IS with excellent optical quality, there aren't any other ultra wide angles that are not triple or quadriple the cost. That's the problem the OP is having. 

Canon is making great lenses with unworthy bodies to use them on, so we used them on other bodies, so they limited our ability to do so by making all the newer lenses STM. 

In fact I am not sure if the STM lenses do work WITH electronic adapters, I wouldn't be surprised if they just focus and Canons. 

Just to clarify for fuzzy: yes you are right you can use Canon lenses EFS or EF with manual adapters on any camera including the nx1, you'll just lose the ability to change iris (which needs an electronic adapter)

BUT, Canon being Canon, have recently made a line of lenses with STM designation (Stepper motor for silent and smoother video AF with Dual pixel AF which is great, they are truly revolutionary in video AF), but with one issue, the STM lenses are ENTIRLY electronic, the focus ring doesn't directly shift optical elements to focus but instead sends a command to an electronic motor that hence moves the optics (focuses), so yes, any STM lens will NOT focus without power, and of course IRIS and IS won't work too. 

What makes this more irritating is that they made a completely unrivaled one-of-a-kind lens that's STM, a 250$ 10-18mm with IS with excellent optical quality, there aren't any other ultra wide angles that are not triple or quadriple the cost. That's the problem the OP is having. 

Canon is making great lenses with unworthy bodies to use them on, so we used them on other bodies, so they limited our ability to do so by making all the newer lenses STM. 

In fact I am not sure if the STM lenses do work WITH electronic adapters, I wouldn't be surprised if they just focus and Canons. 

​I can confirm what you're saying. I clearly remember that when you set the focus to auto on the lens the focus ring won't do anything unless you set it back to manual. So it's controlled electronically!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes, but as an extra feature if you want to change focus manually while in AF mode, you can half press the shutter button and move the ring. It's like "Full-time Manual focus" on their higher end lenses but electronic. In short, it's figgin electronic and married to Canon command lines.

• Super Members

​You tell me. Is that true?  I've never used it.  All I did was list my experiences.  It does NOT have the ability to adjust focus without power?  As I've said, I've used numerous Canon lenses that have electronic auto focus and were able to manually focus.  If I'm wrong I'm wrong.  Happens a lot, but that would be a pretty lousy design from Canon...which, actually, wouldn't surprise me.

Both him and I have repeatedly been trying to tell you exactly that. And it was already discussed and pointed out before and after in the thread.

Not I nor him are debating the use of an adapter for m4/3. I even posted a video and also I own Zero Native Lenses for any system. But this thread is about the Samsung Nx1.

So no apeture control on any Canon glass and no focus on his favorite lens that he now wants help replacing. 

So now when that's out of the way :)

Samyang 12mm is a good option but if you can live without filter threads I know a guy selling the Samyang 10mm pretty much brand new for a decent price. Think he used it once.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Well lets be nice, less irritated in giving information.

Anyway, back topic, replacing the little 10-18mm:

What are the options? lets do some research. I am thinking of buying a Canon t6s for this lens alone because a Tokina 11-20mm alone would cost as much as both!

The APS-C s35 options:

-Sigma 10-20mm 3.5: 500$

-Tamron 10-22mm: 500$

-Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8: 500$ 

-Samsung 12-24mm: 550$

-Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8: 600$

-Canon 10-22mm: 600$

-Nikon 10-24mm 3.5-4.5: 700$

The best one of these is the Tokina, so selling the 10-18mm and funding the 500$ 11-16mm or the native Samsung 12-24mm is your best and cheapest option. 

Thanks, it's either the tokina or the samyang 12mm because I need to use a cpl filter so the 10mm won't do it :(

what about the 18-55 vs 16-50 PZ comparison? I can only buy the body so I need to get the kit lens separately. The 16-50 costs more but is it worth the extra cash in terms of quality? The motorized zoom looks weird to me being used to manual...also for what I could find the 18-55 doesn't rate that high but it's $80 less.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Everybody is saying if you have the little extra cash, the 16-50mm is wider, smaller, slightly sharper, and has a better focus ring and a power zoom option and much closer focus ability for macro. 

Anyway, did you use the 18-55mm a lot on the Canon? 

I am asking because I question the need for a general not too wide not too long not too fast lens at all that most people seem to love. 

I found after years that all I need is an ultra wide zoom like an 11-16mm/10-18mm for wide landscapes and a fast 50mm prime for people and other shots. 

I never use the general purpose zoom as the ultra aide is better at the wide end for landscapes and the prime is better at the long end for people/closeups. 

Just what I personally found anyway now, only an ultra wide (but has to be a zoom in an ultra wide) and a fast portrait prime like a 35mm or a 50mm. The two lenses shoot me entire films.