Upgrading to the NX1 from Canon, ideas?

sandro

Hello,

I'm an old Canon 550D/T2i and now I'm sick of its old image quality, fake HD etc.

I need to upgrade to a new camera also an investment and I was thinking about the NX1, do you think will I regret it? What are the main cons I could experience with this camera coming from the Canon world? What worries me is lenses quality and cinematic look overall.
The lenses I use right now with the 550d are the 18-55mm (kit lens), 10-18mm, Nikkor 35mm and various 50mm primes (which I rarely use for video). I would need to have at least this range covered, so I was thinking of getting the body only with 18-55mm (the 16-50 is pretty amazing but I can't afford it right now :( ) and still use the Nikkor 35mm with an adapter.
Problem is: I'm really loving the wide shots I get with the 10-18mm on the Canon, how do I get the same look of the NX1 without getting a fish lens and spending a fortune? The Canon 10-18mm was pretty cheap! Also Samsung in Italy is currently running a promotion where you can get a free 16mm 2.4 or 30mm f2 or 45mm 1.8 or 50-200mm with the body so I don't know if I can temporarily use the 16mm as a wide lens until I find a good substitute..
Do you think the 18-55mm is any good for video, or at least on par the Canon counterpart? 

Thanks for any advice :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Can't you use all these lenses on the nx1?

I am pretty sure you can with the Canon 18-55 + 50 primes + 35mm nikkor. jusr not sure about the amazing 10-18mm. Did anyone try STM lenses with adapters?

Sandro, I got the NX1 recently, and it's incredible. Do get the 16-50 at some point, I have it, and it makes shooting so easy. WRT using Canon lenses, make sure your adapter can support EF-S lenses (I believe you're referring to the 18-55 Canon EF-S lens).

You can use EF lenses on the NX1 with an adapter, but you won't be able to change the aperture. There are no electronic adapters as far as I know and I haven't seen EF-NX adapters with built in aperture.

It makes no sense to use a Canon 18-55 kit lens on the NX1 anyway. Just get Samsung's kit lens so you can use AF and OIS. If you like your Canon 18-55mm for video, the Samsung 18-55mm will be as good I think. There's also a small 16-50mm Pancake zoom.

The Nikkor 35mm will be fine on the NX1, I guess it has an aperture ring since you use it on the 550D. Sadly there is no alternative for the 10-18mm in the same price bracket. There is a Samsung 12-24mm f/4-5.6 but it's twice the price.

Thanks guys.
that's what I thought... I wasn't aware of any EF-S adapter, that's why I asked about buying new lenses. It really saddens me leaving the 10mm look, also even If I used it on the Samsung with no aperture control (not a funny way to shoot videos) will the EF-S lens cover all the sensor size on the NX1?

Even the 12-24mm is not as wide :(

I have the NX1, I love it for slow motion and 4K and in the right light, it creates a beautiful, detailed images, but you have to REALLY protect your highlights, they blow so easily. The rolloff isn't awful, but in harsh light, it is hard to use. Also, transcoding is a pain and low light is pretty bad. Maybe future upgrades will bring a bit more latitude and other features.

I also have an A7s and that is my go to camera for everything else. If you can spring that little extra cash, it is by far the better camera, imho.

• Super Members

I did a test once with the ef 10-18 and a dumb adapter on a bmpcc. 

Since its focus by wire I expected no control at all. But the funny thing was it apparently focus when zooming. So it could be used with an ND for exposure. 

I absolutely do not recommend it,but it was a fun experiment. 

https://youtu.be/T6wPNkkfq8E

I wish I could afford the A7s... even though no 4K and 120fps 1080p is a loss IMHO.
The lack of latitude worries me. How bad is it in low light? Could it be worse than my 550d?

Well, it depends on what you're expecting and what matters to you most. If you tweak the settings, the latitude is pretty good (see my post NX1 Dynamic Range Settings, I got some decent footage yesterday with these settings), but if you want ultra-wide latitude and super low light performance, yeah A7s makes more sense - just remember all the things you give up (28MP vs 10MP stills, better colors, functional auto-focus, built-in 4K, etc.). In any case it's going to be a big step-up from t2i (I can't even think of using my t2i or my 6D any more for video). There are head to head NX1 vs. A7s comparisons online you might want to check out if you're considering both.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I did a test once with the ef 10-18 and a dumb adapter on a bmpcc. 

Since its focus by wire I expected no control at all. But the funny thing was it apparently focus when zooming. So it could be used with an ND for exposure. 

I absolutely do not recommend it,but it was a fun experiment. 

https://youtu.be/T6wPNkkfq8E

​Could you please elaborate? 

Canon you change focus with a 10-18mm with a dumb adapter? Like get a wide 10mm correctly-focused landscape?

• Super Members

​Could you please elaborate? 

Canon you change focus with a 10-18mm with a dumb adapter? Like get a wide 10mm correctly-focused landscape?

Depends, don't remember if infinity was at 10mm or 18mm. Maybe the video shows it. I will rewatch.

But seriously don't bother, only reason I used it was because I had the lens for my fs100 and bmcc and thought what the heck. 

I have the NX1, I love it for slow motion and 4K and in the right light, it creates a beautiful, detailed images, but you have to REALLY protect your highlights, they blow so easily. The rolloff isn't awful, but in harsh light, it is hard to use. Also, transcoding is a pain and low light is pretty bad. Maybe future upgrades will bring a bit more latitude and other features.

I also have an A7s and that is my go to camera for everything else. If you can spring that little extra cash, it is by far the better camera, imho.

​Jimmy - I have the A7s as well and just ordered the NX1. Have you done many shoots with both cameras? How well do they match up?

I think if your intent is to make cinematic images and can handle manual focus (which any shooter should be able to do) then buying a fast 50mm and a fast 24mm with a "dumb" adapter is perfectly adequate and all you SHOULD need for most of your work.  If you're ambitious and affluent you can buy upscale cinema lenses, but 2 cheap old Canon FD's would suffice, I say.  

My opinion is that you could obviously fret about an infinite amount of other options, but just skip that nonsense and get to work with two nice primes.

I've found that working within the "constrictions" of these two focal lengths on an s35 sensor has made me a more considered shooter and a much more visually consistent one.  My 2cents.

I do have primes for that, but I can't find a way to match that lovely 10mm look. Maybe Samsung will release a new lens soon?

​Lovely and 10mm aren't two things I'd put in the same sentence, but that's just me.  FWIW, I have a Sigma 10-20mm I mount on my s35 sensor-sized cams all the time.  Works fine.  

And I'm confused.  

In your post you say you already have a 10-18mm, so what would you be unable to match?  You already have the lens and can keep using it.  My understanding is that the NX1 and the t2i are essentially the same sized sensor...

​Lovely and 10mm aren't two things I'd put in the same sentence, but that's just me.  FWIW, I have a Sigma 10-20mm I mount on my s35 sensor-sized cams all the time.  Works fine.  

And I'm confused.  

In your post you say you already have a 10-18mm, so what would you be unable to match?  You already have the lens and can keep using it.  My understanding is that the NX1 and the t2i are essentially the same sized sensor...

​Yeah but I can't use the Canon EF-S lens (10-18mm) on the NX1!

​Yeah but I can't use the Canon EF-S lens (10-18mm) on the NX1!

​You can't?  Why not?  I use my Sigma EF mount lens on my M43 and ASP-C cams all the time.  

Are you misunderstanding or unaware of how you can use these lenses across different camera bodies with a simple adapter?