panasonic g7

jagnje

is it full sensor read out or 1:1 2.3x crop in 4K mode?

Was hoping the former since it's a different sensor than GH4.

Cheap Speedboosters, here we come. Cheap focal reducers' manufacturers will flourish with this release if it's 2.3x 4K at 700$!

​There is some info on the 4K cropping/downscaling in the 'preview' here - http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_G7/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

weird. It's not as big of a crop as GH4, not a 1:1 crop, bit it takes a 4114x2314 pixels then down scales it to 3840x2160.

Great that it's a lesser crop than GH4, but gives fear of aliasing & moire.

is it full sensor read out or 1:1 2.3x crop in 4K mode?

Was hoping the former since it's a different sensor than GH4.

Cheap Speedboosters, here we come. Cheap focal reducers' manufacturers will flourish with this release if it's 2.3x 4K at 700$!

​I am guessing mild aliasing like on the LX100 would be visible, since it does down sizing, instead of reading from a dedicated section of the sensor (like on the GH4). Not a very big deal. 

Outputs 1080p though. Uncompressed 4:2:2 via Mini HDMI interface. Hope it's a great 4K downsampled signal, like the GH4 when set to 4K mode + 1080p HDMI output or the 1DC when set to 4K mode with 1080p output. I adore this feature, because with a star/ninja2/BMvideoAssist you could just skip the post-downsample process and have it done in camera, going home with super sharp perfect 1080p 4:2:2 ProRes files. Best workflow ever.

Apparently B&H stated that it is 4k via HDMI (to the Red Shark guys). I read somewhere that ​it is 8Bit instead of 10Bit. I don't think the results should be as noticeable though.

http://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/2595-panasonic-dmc-g7-4k-interchangeable-lens-camera-at-half-the-price-of-the-gh4

Yeah, that would be great, has there been any info on this? I guess the bmAssist would be a better option than the ninja star due to the added lcd? 

​I was thinking of the same thing, Though, I read that the BMVA actually needs to use 60p instead of 60i, and that it needs to work on this. Black Magic didn't themselves say this anywhere, but a reviewer somewhere suggested that this is a design flaw (software, I am guessing). Otherwise, for the price, features, and the fact that it can record on cheap card, makes it a killer monitor. 

​I am guessing mild aliasing like on the LX100 would be visible, since it does down sizing, instead of reading from a dedicated section of the sensor (like on the GH4). Not a very big deal. 

Apparently B&H stated that it is 4k via HDMI (to the Red Shark guys). I read somewhere that ​it is 8Bit instead of 10Bit. I don't think the results should be as noticeable though.

http://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/2595-panasonic-dmc-g7-4k-interchangeable-lens-camera-at-half-the-price-of-the-gh4

​I was thinking of the same thing, Though, I read that the BMVA actually needs to use 60p instead of 60i, and that it needs to work on this. Black Magic didn't themselves say this anywhere, but a reviewer somewhere suggested that this is a design flaw (software, I am guessing). Otherwise, for the price, features, and the fact that it can record on cheap card, makes it a killer monitor. 

Yeah I read that same article about 4K output. Hopefully BH is correct. I just want the smallest run and gun setup I can find. When you output to live HDMI, does the camera's LCD show what is going out? If it does, then the Ninja Star is more than enough for me. 

I am guessing it shows whats on, otherwise it may be completely useless on a moving video and absolutely useless on big sensor cameras. I personally haven't used one.

The Blackmagic Video Assist has 1080p, touch screen (along with all the features on a professional monirot) and headphone monitoring for Video, which the Ninja Star doesn't seem to have. I am guessing the Ninja Star has much better battery life, and the fact that Black Magic, I am guessing may not be available for another 2-3 months atleast (I HOPE I am wrong on this). Actually a few other differences including SDI, 60p vs 60i etc etc.

On the whole the BlackMagic is a better package, for $200 more, but the only problem may be the wait. I guess.