panasonic g7

jagnje

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

In several places, its been said that the G7 sensor is similar to the one in GF7 model and not the GH4.

I wonder what changes in quality we may see.

​B&H said it is the same sensor as is in the GX7 and LX100, and lots and lots of people use the LX100 as a 4K B cam to their GH4. 
So I'd say if you're comfortable already using an LX100 as your B cam, then you'll have no problem with the G7 matching :-)

I wonder when the NX50 will come out?? That might not have the awful NX500 cropping, and have an external mic input, and make it a decent cheaper competitor vs the Panasonic G7

I am curious as to how this compares with the LX100 and the FZ1000, for video. They all shoot 4k, and have very similar features as well. 

I would assume it is more comparable to the LX100 due to sensor size, but you have the ability to change lenses and you have a mic input. I was sold on the FZ1000 as my next camera, but I have LBA, so when I learned about the G7, I think there is no substitute at this price point. I must assume, the LX100 and the FZ1000 will drop in price soon after the G7 release. So maybe I'll be able to get both.

I would assume it is more comparable to the LX100 due to sensor size, but you have the ability to change lenses and you have a mic input. I was sold on the FZ1000 as my next camera, but I have LBA, so when I learned about the G7, I think there is no substitute at this price point. I must assume, the LX100 and the FZ1000 will drop in price soon after the G7 release. So maybe I'll be able to get both.

I hope this is true.

I love the LX100 and most people who complain about the lack of GH4 kind of Cinema Settings are not honest enough to admit that the GH4 cinema profiles made the codec fall apart. Also pushing the Highlights and Shadows curves too much also can be bad for post.

I am hoping the LX100 gets a Higher Bitrate Firmware (with 4-2-2). Even at 200Mbpa it would be a treat.

The FZ1000 and the LX100 are as food for low light, except that the LX100 adds about 1.5 stops due to its faster lens.

Pre-ordered one. Just got to decide with a GH4 and now this if I start getting M4/3 lenses or stick with the EF mounts I already have and the Speedbooster. I see Samyang have announced the VDSLR Cine Lenses they do in M4/3 mount.

Pre-ordered one. Just got to decide with a GH4 and now this if I start getting M4/3 lenses or stick with the EF mounts I already have and the Speedbooster. I see Samyang have announced the VDSLR Cine Lenses they do in M4/3 mount.

​Nooo.... don't get them in m4/3 mount! The safest bet is to get them in Nikon F mount. I went into a bit more detail as to why when I purchased my set:
http://ironfilm.co.nz/rokinon-cine-lenses/

Three interesting features on the G7:

1. Mic in, placed where it doesn't hinder with the articulated screen's movement.

2. 8-Bit 4-2-2- out, via HDMI. 

3. Base ISO being jacked up suggests that the low light capability has been improved. I am guessing 3200 ISO is pretty usable, and 6400 also with a little cleaning. 

niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Three interesting features on the G7:

1. Mic in, placed where it doesn't hinder with the articulated screen's movement.

2. 8-Bit 4-2-2- out, via HDMI. 

3. Base ISO being jacked up suggests that the low light capability has been improved. I am guessing 3200 ISO is pretty usable, and 6400 also with a little cleaning. 

niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Yeah the G7 and the Ninja Star sounds like a nice little set up. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Outputs 1080p though. Uncompressed 4:2:2 via Mini HDMI interface. Hope it's a great 4K downsampled signal, like the GH4 when set to 4K mode + 1080p HDMI output or the 1DC when set to 4K mode with 1080p output. I adore this feature, because with a star/ninja2/BMvideoAssist you could just skip the post-downsample process and have it done in camera, going home with super sharp perfect 1080p 4:2:2 ProRes files. Best workflow ever.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

is it full sensor read out or 1:1 2.3x crop in 4K mode?

Was hoping the former since it's a different sensor than GH4.

Cheap Speedboosters, here we come. Cheap focal reducers' manufacturers will flourish with this release if it's 2.3x 4K at 700$!

Outputs 1080p though. Uncompressed 4:2:2 via Mini HDMI interface. Hope it's a great 4K downsampled signal, like the GH4 when set to 4K mode + 1080p HDMI output or the 1DC when set to 4K mode with 1080p output. I adore this feature, because with a star/ninja2/BMvideoAssist you could just skip the post-downsample process and have it done in camera, going home with super sharp perfect 1080p 4:2:2 ProRes files. Best workflow ever.

Yeah, that would be great, has there been any info on this? I guess the bmAssist would be a better option than the ninja star due to the added lcd? 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes I didn't like the star at all, it feels you're blind and non trustable. More suitable for aerial just for weight concerns. Ninja 2 is a much better option for normal shooting (for not much more), Video assist might be even better but not tried yet.