Why APSC is dead

wolf33d

The direction photography is taking for most people is lighter and smaller.

​Well, more anecdotal info:  M43 is the direction I've gone with the last 5 cams I've bought.  But I still haven't sold my 5DII either.  FF is nice as it can be pretty great in low-light; as seen with the A7s.  There's good reasons for lots of gear.  

I do agree that it is kinda silly to assume that one's individual desires reflect the desires of an entire market.

If that were true United States TV shows like "Enlightened" would be never have been canceled and the intellectual abortion of "Two and a Half Men" would never have existed in the first place.  But I'm not a typical American TV viewer and the typical American TV viewer ain't me, so there you go.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Super 35/APS-C will  be here for along time - Panavision has a warehouse full of Super 35/APS-C  lenses as it supplies Hollywood with cinema glass.

I dont think they will be changing soon at all!

Super 35/APS-C is the look we all know as 'cinema' ---full frame is not!

I really dont like the look of full frame I stopped using my Canon 5 years ago

Super 35/APS-C will  be here for along time - Panavision has a warehouse full of Super 35/APS-C  lenses as it supplies Hollywood with cinema glass.

I dont think they will be changing soon at all!

Super 35/APS-C is the look we all know as 'cinema' ---full frame is not!

I really dont like the look of full frame I stopped using my Canon 5 years ago

What is your main camera?

various Panasonics depending on the job ....so all micro 4/3 with speedboosters

I am very interested in the G7 but I have only ever owned APS-C cameras, the crop factor frightens me a little. It seems like the only way to go is with speedboosters. 

I am very interested in the G7 but I have only ever owned APS-C cameras, the crop factor frightens me a little. It seems like the only way to go is with speedboosters. 

​Which can be quite beneficial actually. Like the Sigma 30mm f1.4 becomes an f1.0 

​Which can be quite beneficial actually. Like the Sigma 30mm f1.4 becomes an f1.0 

I've never used a speedbooster, are there any drawbacks with them? Infinity focus? Softer image? Which I don't necessarily mind... for narrative work. 

Another question about speedboosters... I have read a little about the blue spot when you shoot at a light source. Do you know if that is more prevalent with specific brands, or just a byproduct of using focal reducers?

Speedboosters are the secret weapon for Micro 4/3 uses as they IMPROVE your image so much ! sharper wider and faster and give you an APSC / SUPER 35MM equivilent crop instead of the 2x crop of micro 4/3

So I use them all the time on all 3 micro 4/3 camera I use  .

Ive used this set up for over a year commercially on loads of jobs and I will not work with out them now .

If you stop right down and shoot at a very bright light source you can under certain circumstances induce a blue/purple flare spot , but just be aware of that and alter your position or stop so it goes

I shoot all  my narative stuff at around f2 or f2.8 and you dont get any spots when fully wide open .

this was all shot with Mitakon Zhyongji Lens Turbo speedbooster with Nikon Bourne 28-70mm f2.8 IF ED  fully wide open

Speedboosters are the secret weapon for Micro 4/3 uses as they IMPROVE your image so much ! sharper wider and faster and give you an APSC / SUPER 35MM equivilent crop instead of the 2x crop of micro 4/3

So I use them all the time on all 3 micro 4/3 camera I use  .

Ive used this set up for over a year commercially on loads of jobs and I will not work with out them now .

If you stop right down and shoot at a very bright light source you can under certain circumstances induce a blue/purple flare spot , but just be aware of that and alter your position or stop so it goes

I shoot all  my narative stuff at around f2 or f2.8 and you dont get any spots when fully wide open .

this was all shot with Mitakon Zhyongji Lens Turbo speedbooster with Nikon Bourne 28-70mm f2.8 IF ED  fully wide open

Thanks Andy, that looks amazing.  The grade looks great.