Kipon Canon EF lens adapter for Micro Four Thirds shows insanely impressive AF performance

Andrew Reid

Looks great. Since it sounds like IS is supported, this may be a better way to go for me, having a GH3 (and probably later a GH4 or it's successor), since I can get really good long zoom/primes with OIS. The Olympus 300 f4 won't cut it...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Look here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kipon-Auto-Focus-AF-Adapter-for-EOS-EF-Lens-to-Micro-Four-Thirds-M4-3-MFT-Camera-/281711173010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41974b5d92

The first one is it ?

Panasonic should take note. The only reason many people are considering those is in part thanks to no native lenses with IS. For me the idea of using a 300 f4L IS on a GH4 does not sound optimal. BUT for certain nature shooting ideas it might be a decent solution. The weight savings from native lenses would be highly appreciated. 

EDIT. seems to me that that ebay store that Linked are selling PRE orders. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got mine.

I don't think it will be of much use for video (at least not for a while yet).

Fine for snaps and casual photography.

Distorts with most lenses, seems to need brighter light than the lenses would on other cameras to auto focus..

Hit or miss as to what lenses work.      No AF-C.      Will drain a battery pretty quick as it is always focusing if the camera is left on between shots.

When they DO work, focus can be very fast.     Almost natively so.     It WILL be a great idea but it does need work.

The adapter has a USB port so I would think a LOT of updates will be coming.

I like it a lot but then I also like using Canon lenses to auto focus on an A7s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been using the Kipon EF Mount Adapter on my Olympus EM1, and an Olympus EM5mkII using Canon 100-400mkII L f/4.5 (sometimes with the 1,4x MkIII adapter)... it works well with a few caveats.

There has to be plenty of light, as it the lens will struggle with focusing in dim conditions. Also it's not 'mega fast' to focus. It focus about as quickly as an Olympus Lens on a MTF adapter on an EM1. There is noticeable lag.

Also, with or without the 1.4x extender, when I try to zoom about 50 to 60% (200mm to 300mm) the image in the viewfinder goes dark. It does return when I get to the full 400mm zoom.

I have gotten some excellent, clear sharp images, but I have also gotten quite a lot of focus failures. I wouldn't use the EM1/Kipon/Canon L lens for a sporting event, or for fast moving wildlife.

I have contacted someone via email to see if this is the norm for it, or maybe by some stroke of lousy luck, I managed to get a faulty one.

This is big, for videography this is seriously big news.

That GH4 peaking is damn misleading, it takes practice to really know when it's in focus at large apertures.

They have my money, i hope they can keep up with the orders.

I haven't gotten a single out-of-focus shot yet using peaking at wide apertures on the GH4 with the Metabones and Sigma 18-35mm. You can always toggle between high and low settings for more precision. I recommend using the orange setting - it's much more visible.