JVC LS300 : Going to have one for 2 Weeks, Want me to test something 4 U?

TSV

Hi.

JVC is going to lend me a JVC GY-LS300 for two weeks to give it a try and I was wondering if someone here would be interested that I test a few things for them? 
So if you want me to look in something particular on this camera or test something special, let me know! It is also a good way for me to give this camera a good try!

Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Great! We'll take you up on the offer :D First do you have any other cameras to test by its side so we'd have a reference? anything really. 

Great! We'll take you up on the offer :D First do you have any other cameras to test by its side so we'd have a reference? anything really. 

​Yep, I have a GH4 and a few lenses ;-)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Perfect. First thing the world strives to know is, how is the dynamic range! So shooing a high contrast scene side by side at both cameras' flattest profiles and posting two TIFF frame grabs would end that debate. That's my only request, how far it can see into the shadows (and be lifted up in post) and the highlights (and be lifted down in post) compared to the well known 10.5-11 stops of DR GH4. Also shoot an over exposed image on both cameras because are whining about he LS300 having defects in highlight blowing (showing weird colours and harsh lines)

In short: DR vs GH4. Thanks in advance!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Everybody (who never used it) have made the conclusion that it has a ''video'' look and doesn't look filmic and has video like DR in crushed shadows and clipped highlights. So one of the most important test would be trying to shoot something that looks filmic. If the DR is checked then this could be ''the'' perfect camera, no other cameras have that sort of spec list at that price point. Let us see something filmic, as in, 

-Shoot a human face, preferablly a female subject (any relative available). 

-Shallow depth of field of a medium closeup looking at the camera, use a wide open fast lens 

-Set frame rate to 24p, 

-Shuter speed to 1/48s or (180°) 

-Find the flattest picture profile possible in the camera, as in reduce contrast as far as possible, turn all kinds of sharpening all the way off, 

-Make sure there are no clipped whites in the shot

Post that shot here for us to grade. The longer the better, for example you can follow the subject moving, closeups of eyes, hair, and so on. But one med close up looking straight at camera would be enough too. 

So what I want is a simple DR test with the GH4 and a human subject with shallow DOF and film settings to make sure the camera can indeed not look like broadcast video. 

Thanks again for the offer! 

maybe test some with the grade how you want it in-camera, or varying levels of flatness, just in case it can't hold up amazingly to grading, if it still can produce a nice image.

low light

DR at different iso's might be a good test?

maybe see if the most cropped mode of its impressive adaptability (probably s16) becomes unusable because of the enhanced noise and loss of megapixels.

maybe just some glamour shot montage, keeping it short so it's not too much trouble, seeing what you can do with the camera as a filmmaker so that some people can just set aside its potential flaws and see what it can do in good hands.

but yeah, most interested to see a flat shot of a slightly difficult scene for us to grade.

anything at all would be cool though, even just a couple thoughts after having used it. Appreciate the offer! Thank you!

Thanks all of you, I will check your request later today (got a meeting soon) and get back to you. I am scheduled to get the camera this Friday and until then we have plenty of time to fine tune your request (I am not as good as you and may need some pointers to make it happen)

Thanks to @Ebrahim Saadawi I will try to comply and my daughter will be the test subject (I can include the Dog to by the way). I will also take the opportunity to test this Camera at ISE in Mie Prefecture for the shrines as well as this kind of stuff https://www.google.com/search?q=Meotoiwa&safe=off&es_sm=119&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IORRVbzOCaG5mAXN1IAQ&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=1242 I will share with you some of the footage I made like @Liam suggested. 

Cheers

Rolling shutter- some increasingly fast pans would do the trick. Maybe just follow the methodology in this post (and submit the results when you have them):

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?303559-Measuring-rolling-shutter-put-a-number-on-this-issue!

Moire & Aliasing: Personally I am skeptical of the "VSM" system (aka sensor cropping and up/downscaling to HD/UHD) working without introducing artifacts. Please shoot some diagonals and some moire-inducing patterns (certain fabrics, bricks, etc) at varying distances/sizes, at a few of the various crops.

Motion rendition: the bitrates seem a bit low for fast action. I'd love to see this disproven.

Very intrusted in that camera.

Would love to see 4k footage shot at iso 1600, 3200 and 6400 at night or in a darker room or show theater when the noise really shows up the most.

Yes panning fast in 4k, Would like to see what the HD video quality is like all with with flat color profile and then graded,

How good is the viewfinder some say it not very good? How good is the flip out LED screen vs others.

What lens will you be using?

Hi Guys... So I received the LS300 yesterday with a fe Olympus lenses (12-50 F3.5-6.3, 45 F1.8, 17 F.18).  I haven't yet the time to really play with the camera but my first impressions are :

- Cheap quality built. Cheap plastics especially on the side handle part. It feel that the whole stuff is empty inside. Rotating the ND Filters make a cheap clunky noise. Mounted a lens on it is not smooth as like on my GH4 for example.
- Compact, I like that.
- I am not sold by the viewfinder. 
- The LCD is "OK" will try in direct sunlight but it does not impress
- Focus peaking is really great, much better than the GH4 and with it you really feel that you are in control.
- It may sound stupid but I love the point and touch AF of the GH4, pity that the LS300 does not offer that as well.

The few minutes that I spend with it did not bring the WOW factor that I was expecting and at the price they are asking it in Japan (~4,165 USD) I would personally opt for a 4K URSA Mini than that.

Anyway start playing with it and soon start to experiment with your requests.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Here you are my first experience under heavy sunlight with the LS300

1. Full Auto https://mega.co.nz/#!OktEDASD!-v21Iq-OIT3zOdA9Ld8WKXwN3AKE0e1EuJ2j6zmk4xo 
2. Manual https://mega.co.nz/#!qodSiJqS!HBwMgwbBF-XAdZi9yXpTqbaU2wXk4aLVKxcrGLFcHis

First I will leave the LS300 at home and will go to my shoot with the GH4. I am way more at ease with the GH4 than the LS300. The lack of artificial horizon, no histogram and no real Exposure compensation info on the camera really troubles me and I do not want to risk shooting something and throw it away. I am also biased in a way since I am more costumed to cameras but to give you an example, I had better result in "Manual" mode with the AX100 than this LS300. One thing that I do not like is for example the Internal ND Filter, 1/4, 1/16 and 1/64. Which does not give you any latitude between these numbers pushing you to either increase your shutter speed or F value. Which in both case can either give you its own set of problems. Also, the set of lenses that gave JVC with the Camera are not what I call the best. I have so far better result when using my 15mm Leica or 12.35mm and 35-100mm than with their Olympus thingy.

Finally the example above are straight from the camera SD Card. I haven't yet time to read the manual and as said above I am not confortable yet with the camera. Also remember, I am not a pro and just got the camera Friday night. I will have to struggle at least a week with it in order to be able to start being able to test it like you want me to test it.

Thanks TSV! image looks nice from that shot I think. nice colors and highlight handling, not too much noise at 1250iso. not very video-like from that clip. are those lenses s35? your gh4 lenses should work pretty great on the ls300 if you're more comfortable with them. you just lose some resolution. Could see the gh4 having some nicer features though. nothing wrong with preferring one camera over another. Looking forward to more of your discoveries

Thanks TSV! image looks nice from that shot I think. nice colors and highlight handling, not too much noise at 1250iso. not very video-like from that clip. are those lenses s35? your gh4 lenses should work pretty great on the ls300 if you're more comfortable with them. you just lose some resolution. Could see the gh4 having some nicer features though. nothing wrong with preferring one camera over another. Looking forward to more of your discoveries

​Welcome. Once I get use to it and "RTFM" then I am sure I will do better. As for the lenses they where Olympus MFT ones. And the one that I used for this test is the "M.Zuiko ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ" And actually a lens that they recommend on their Japanese brochure since the LS300 support the Automatic Zoon control of the lens.

This said, I also agree with my Panasonic lenses will do better.

Hi all,

this is my first post, so let's introduce me. I'm from Italy, and I'm not a professional but simply an advanced video hobbist. I've bought one of the first Panasonic AF101 and I was an enthusiastic (and now an orphan) of this project. Two weeks ago my seller has given me a LS300 to test and after a few days I've decided to buy it. It is really a great camera for the price and VSM works really well (it is not continuous, it is in steps because remapping is optimized.

Hera are two screenshots straight from VLC. The first one with a zuiko 14-35mm f2.0 (set at f5.6) and VSM 86%, factory settings (video gamma and color matrix normal), manual focus and manual exposure

https://www.dropbox.com/s/evahlifkdyh78f7/vlcsnap-2015-05-17-11h04m27s200.png?dl=0

the second one is an indoor shooting, no lighting. The lens is a canon FD 85mm f1.2 (set at f8), full S35 frame (no vsm).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksj9h8cy3o1scpb/vlcsnap-2015-05-17-19h51m59s127.png?dl=0

After 10 days of testing I can say that the LS300 is a big step over my previous AF101: less video noise, better resolution in FHD also, better latitude, better highlights holding, better performance in low-light, better focus assist, better use of the dual slot, 4:2:2 sampling in FHD and much more.

For the price this is really an honest camera for the budget advanced filmaker.

Regards

Gary

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Great! Welcome Gary, thanks for posting, please do continue.

TSV: Thanks again, waiting for the mentioned tests.