Field monitor

Davide

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend an affordable field monitor. I don't want to spend more than £150-200.

I will mainly use it with my GH4 for framing, focusing, and exposure.

I had a look online and there are lots of field monitor out there, I'm jus a bit confused on what to go for. 

Thank you in advance to any suggestions,

Davide

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Would say what I kinda said here:

There's some good affordable ones from Aputure, Lilliput, Ikan, MustHD and the likes. The other day I found two more on eBay and AliExpress which looked pretty good value for the money, the Feelworld and Seetec. I guess those are amongst the lines of an Viltrox, which also seems to have two decent models. Kinda depends on what you're looking for. Some are basicly just bigger screens, so you can frame and focus a bit more clearly. Others actually do feature peaking, false color, perhaps some punch-in zoom and markers/guides. Only the more expensive ones also feature the more elaborate features like you'd also find on these monitors that are also recorders. So. Yeah. It all depends.

Here's some of Lilliput's offerings: http://www.lilliputdirect.com/hdmi/5-7-inch-hdmi . If you can stretch the budget a wee bit, the 663/O/P2? Or if you want to go to the cheaper end of things, an Aputure VS-2 might just be your thing...

Would say what I kinda said here:

Here's some of Lilliput's offerings: http://www.lilliputdirect.com/hdmi/5-7-inch-hdmi . If you can stretch the budget a wee bit, the 663/O/P2? Or if you want to go to the cheaper end of things, an Aputure VS-2 might just be your thing...

​Hi, thanks for replying.

I bought a MustHD M-701 7" monitor. Some people are saying that if I'm recording 4k internally with my GH4, I won't be able to use the monitor, is that true? Is it not possible to record 4K internally and just use the monitor for framing, focusing, etc?

​Hi, thanks for replying.

I bought a MustHD M-701 7" monitor. Some people are saying that if I'm recording 4k internally with my GH4, I won't be able to use the monitor, is that true? Is it not possible to record 4K internally and just use the monitor for framing, focusing, etc?

​I am chatting with the Support of Must HD for the 5.6" and here you are their answer (Granted this is not the  MustHD M-701, but it should be the same)  :

MustHDHello, how may I help you?

ClientQuick question, regarding the 5.6 IPS

When using in on my GH4, can I still record in 4K internally? On the SD card of the GH4?

MustHDSorry, it can not support GH4 4K.

ClientI know the screen will not support 4K, but it is just a screen. What I meant is: Can I use the screen like my Camera Viewfinder and still record IN the camera in 4K? (I Want to make sure we both understand each other)

MustHDYes, I understand. It can support GH4 3840×2160 30P and 1920×1080 96P, but not GH4 4K 24P.

ClientSorry! Yes and when I meant 4K I was talking about UHD 3840×2160 30P . So to confirm. I can use this monitor, use 3840×2160 30P internal recording? Right?

MustHDThat is right.

I

​I am chatting with the Support of Must HD for the 5.6" and here you are their answer (Granted this is not the  MustHD M-701, but it should be the same)  :

MustHDHello, how may I help you?

ClientQuick question, regarding the 5.6 IPS

When using in on my GH4, can I still record in 4K internally? On the SD card of the GH4?

MustHDSorry, it can not support GH4 4K.

ClientI know the screen will not support 4K, but it is just a screen. What I meant is: Can I use the screen like my Camera Viewfinder and still record IN the camera in 4K? (I Want to make sure we both understand each other)

MustHDYes, I understand. It can support GH4 3840×2160 30P and 1920×1080 96P, but not GH4 4K 24P.

ClientSorry! Yes and when I meant 4K I was talking about UHD 3840×2160 30P . So to confirm. I can use this monitor, use 3840×2160 30P internal recording? Right?

MustHDThat is right.

​I've got my MUST HD M-701, and tried it out, and it works fine. I tried 4k UHD 25p, and it works, also I tried C4K 24p and it works!

I

​I've got my MUST HD M-701, and tried it out, and it works fine. I tried 4k UHD 25p, and it works, also I tried C4K 24p and it works!

​Thanks! I placed an order on this model yesterday in fact... The lilliput monitor I wanted was WAY to expensive in Japan...

@TSV and @Davide

I'm considering a MustHD 701 as well. I have a GH4. What are your experiences after some days of working with it? In particular I´m interested in this: 

When in 4K mode on the GH4 does the 701 display a full screen duplicate of the GH4?

And how does the 701 fair outdoors . - and in sunshine?

@TSV and @Davide

I'm considering a MustHD 701 as well. I have a GH4. What are your experiences after some days of working with it? In particular I´m interested in this: 

When in 4K mode on the GH4 does the 701 display a full screen duplicate of the GH4?

And how does the 701 fair outdoors . - and in sunshine?

​As soon as I have the battery to power it up (I thought it had an internal battery) I will be able to use it outside and test it. However my first regret is that it is WAY too big for my usage. It is a nice monitor but I should have opt for the 5.6". Add this on the GH4 with a cage Mic and so on the all setting is wobbly and a tiny bit of wind (Even on the balcony) screw all the tele shots I was trying to make. I am trying to work a solution to have it tightly fixed to the cage  (http://fhugen.com/honu-cage-gh3.html) but I think that I will have to hand carry the monitor to avoid any un necessary weight or vibration due to wind on the camera. 

I am also trying to find a better tripod, but that's another beast. 

Another positive review for the Feelworld FW759. I'm using it with the NX1. The peaking not what I am looking for but for resolution it's fine to use for focusing. Basically it's the cheapest high resolution IPS field monitor and it 7" which works well with a tripod but not so well for hand held. I think the BMD Video Assist is also a great bang for the buck monitor ... but we see how people feel about it once it stars shipping