A newbie's test: Kowa For B&H 2X Anamorphic

Aragonnarun

Hi guys,

Here's a newbie's anamorphic lens test. Did some simple color correction last night and exported to H.264. First hand ever on an anamorphic lens and still learning, so focus is a little soft and quite a few other issues. Also the ND filter is pretty bad. It caused the bad highlight diffusion on the street. Second test to be continued soon and the quality should improve significantly.. 

I found the lens clamp with screws very difficult to use and the lens body will get damaged soon after a few more shootings. Is there any other clamps you guys use that can avoid the touching of the lens body and the screws in order to protect the lens?

I found that my 12-35 2.8 can work with the Kowa on 35mm and the auto focus + Power OIS is just amazing. But for the focusing of other manual lens, what I did is trying to set the focus of the Kowa to a approximate distance and then focus on the prime lens. It's quite complicated. Is it possible that I can set the focus of the Kowa to infinite and then just focus according to the prime lens? I haven't got time to try this but just thinking of it today during work.  

Here's the link: https://vimeo.com/126776656

Aragon

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I found the lens clamp with screws very difficult to use and the lens body will get damaged soon after a few more shootings. Is there any other clamps you guys use that can avoid the touching of the lens body and the screws in order to protect the lens?

​Yes - check out the redstan.com clamps :-) They come with nylon bolts which don't scratch the lens. Also, the Redstan clamp for the Kowa B&H is amazing (I have it) because it screws in a retaining ring, so the bolts are just for fixing the alignment, not for holding the lens :-)

I found that my 12-35 2.8 can work with the Kowa on 35mm and the auto focus + Power OIS is just amazing. But for the focusing of other manual lens, what I did is trying to set the focus of the Kowa to a approximate distance and then focus on the prime lens. It's quite complicated. Is it possible that I can set the focus of the Kowa to infinite and then just focus according to the prime lens?

​Not really. Sometimes it will work like you describe, but then your bokeh will be weird (horizontally stretched) if your taking lens focus and anamorphic front focus are misaligned. Try to focus on the taking lens (by eye) - then look at its distance marker - then set the anemorphic to the same distance marker - then fine-tune the taking lens :-)

Thanks a lot Valid! Very useful information! :) I'll try the focus again later this week. 

I checked redstan.com, but unfortunately the page redirects me to another weird website that doesn't make sense. I also searched on ebay but can't find anything nice. How much does the clamp cost anyway? I wish I could make one from the factory myself..

​Yes - check out the redstan.com clamps :-) They come with nylon bolts which don't scratch the lens. Also, the Redstan clamp for the Kowa B&H is amazing (I have it) because it screws in a retaining ring, so the bolts are just for fixing the alignment, not for holding the lens :-)

​Not really. Sometimes it will work like you describe, but then your bokeh will be weird (horizontally stretched) if your taking lens focus and anamorphic front focus are misaligned. Try to focus on the taking lens (by eye) - then look at its distance marker - then set the anemorphic to the same distance marker - then fine-tune the taking lens :-)

Ha! The website now works again. Last night I found a guy on Taobao to customise a clamp for me. Slightly cheaper than Redstan but actually it works the same with the Redstan one. They all have another layer inside the clamp to function like a cushion.