Nikon Hacker enables raw video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​Yes I think it's an excellent policy!

There are enough idiots who read the blog already, don't want to attract any more idiots!

Enough idiots!

My policy is no idiots!

If you don't agree, you're an idiot! :)

​I like your policy!

Some may not agree, but from a few (sometimes many) of the comments I have read on this blog, sadly you are spot on.

Wonder if there is some sort of litmus test that could weed them out...  (IQ has to be greater than shoe size for example)

I came here to read about Nikon raw and end up questioning about forum policy.

Honestly I like this forum but calling someone an IDIOT because he said that the topic title is misguiding is simply offensive.

Happens, unfortunately. If you think you can do anything about it, and you actually try it, believe me you'll find yourself on the edge of leaving this forum in no time.

Anyway, on topic of future possibility of raw recording:

Lexar Professional 1066x 32GB and SanDisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s 32GB memory cards have been tested to have write speeds just above 70 MB/s on Nikon D800 (source: http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d800/fastest-memory-sd-cf-card-tests/)

Compare this to the calculations for the D5100 live view feed from user leegong at nikonhacker:

12bits 1664x1100 LV RAW is about 2.7MB size , LV RAW patch doesn't modify FPS of Liveview, it just gets triggered one time per Liveview frame , then save LV raw frame in RAM memory into SD card, so for 30 FPS Liveview , real writing speed of your SD card should be at least 2.7*30 = 81MB/s , for 24 FPS, writing speed should be at least 2.7*24 = 64.8MB/s.

If the D800 live view feed is about the same resolution, it might be doable to write the raw live feed on the fastest memory cards at 24 fps.

I doubt that the Nikon cameras which only have SD slots can reach the same write speeds, so I assume some kind of cropping to a lower resolution of the live view feed would be necessary on those cameras if you want to reach 24 fps.

It might be possible to compress the stream with lossless compression, but not very probable. Compession would be around 1:2

The full d800 raw stream is 2240x1260 and around 100mb/s (if it also turns out to be 12bit), but it also has a DX crop mode (~1600x900), which is 60mb/s so this probably will be the first usable raw mode.

2240x1260 compressed raw @​60mb/s  would be great ;)

Compressing the raw files sounds like heavy processing to do at 24 fps, yes.

Maybe it's feasible. I think it depends on what else is eating processing resources at the same time. Since D800 can output 36 Mpixel @ 4fps = 144 Mpixels processed per second in compressed raw, the processor should probably be able to process 2.8 Mpixel (2240x1260) @ 24fps = 67 Mpixels processed per second.

...and of course, this is high level speculation. It's all dependent on nikonhackers being able to understand more of the firmware/hardware better. Patching binaries isn't the easiest way of doing development.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Sorry I'm confused... has Nikon Hacker enabled RAW video? I followed the link and saw 11 frames that were a mess of artefact and errors. How is that video?

​Sorry for the confusion but no, nobody enabled raw video from a Nikon DSLR.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

nikon raw video is far from reality, the developer himself says so. Highly unlikely that it will record to SD card, HDMI most likely.

​HDMI cannot send raw data, just video, only SDI carries raw.

There is a way to get around this by wrapping the raw data into a signal that fools the HDMI protocol into seeing it  as a video feed, but this would require Nikon doing that trick (which is just theory and nobody else ever sent raw over HDMI) plus they would need to produce a dedicated external recorder than can identify, decode and record that signal, there are no external recorder that do it on the market. So no, HDMI is not a possibility.

If ML is any kind of benchmark it would appear that Full HD may be possible at least for a decent length burst depending on the buffer size and if they can actually get usable footage out of it, but the chances any kind of compression or even bit rate reduction are slim to none. It is highly doubtful that the camera would have the processing power to do anything other than dump the data to a card, which is all ML on a canon can do as well.

If ML is any kind of benchmark it would appear that Full HD may be possible at least for a decent length burst depending on the buffer size and if they can actually get usable footage out of it, but the chances any kind of compression or even bit rate reduction are slim to none. It is highly doubtful that the camera would have the processing power to do anything other than dump the data to a card, which is all ML on a canon can do as well.

​I think Expeeds are more powerful than digic processors, but yes, it's very improbable.