Pregnant Paws

jpommier

This is a recent short that I did. My wife and I were originally making it to use as a sort of announcement that we were having a baby (only our immediate family knew about it) but I also wanted it to stand alone as a fun little short. After shooting the bulk of the footage my wife went into labor the next day so we had to do all of the quick zoom/close-up shots weeks after. Better late than never!

Since I was unfortunately in the video, I had to rely on my wife for shooting most of it and when we couldn't operate the camera ourselves, we called over my Dad and a friend in the middle of the night to help us shoot. All three of them had absolutely zero experience shooting anything and as a testament to the NX1, they all learned the basics of the camera reasonably quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Your wife is a great sport! Great look you got out of this, especially with the limited "crew". Animal work is actually surprisingly fun and well done, you should get them work on other sets.  One thing I would work on is you are hanging on shots to long in the edit. Like the shot were you approach the front door, you hold on the door far to long before you come into frame. For a further example: When your dog barks to draw attention for the phone charger, you hold on him when you should immediately cut to your reaction, then the shot of your grabbing the charger should have less frames in the front and tail end of edit. Multiple instances of that happening. Those added pauses make me aware of the shot when I shouldn't be.

Thanks for showing it!

Geoff, thank you so much for not just watching but also taking the time to give me some excellent feedback! I can definitely see what you're talking about, that I hang on shots too long. That's a problem I've had in some of my other work. I need to get more sensitive to that detail. We had a lot of fun working with the dogs (most of the time) but it was definitely a time consuming process to include them. I'll just say that I don't think my dog, the bigger of the two, had any trouble getting into character. And my wife...she is insanely patient and tolerant of the things I pull her into.

I'm going to revisit this project and see if I can tighten it up a bit more in the edit!

Thank you again Geoff!