Getting Lost in the Log

Ed_David

I think now a days we can all shoot log - and we get lost in that log - we get used to that flat look - but rewatching monsters - it has a deeper s curve and dark black and nice raised midtones - it’s bolder - it’s more natural I think - more like the cinema that I grew up on.

It's hard to throw out dynamic range when you have it, but sometimes you have to - and you'll love it.  below I took out window detail to gain a pop that I enjoyed - maybe if I graded better I can do a power window and have it all!

still197_grade.thumb.jpg.f44853fe23f3ebb

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sony F35 with ultra prime lenses .

I don't think display quality will go up - if anything they'll continue to go down.  Have you checked out at your local electronics store how bad the contrast is on the latest 4k tvs?  Across the board TVs are cutting costs.  It seems most people rather get a cheap TV than an expensive TV - and for good reason.  Most people use TV to watch sports and crappy reality tv - and they don't even switch the motion to normal 50 or 60hz they watch at double 120HZ so it looks like a soap opera.

I don't have much hope unless for some reason Apple does releases a Apple TV that has a really nice display. 

But I think they would have by now.  Until then, you gotta make it look good for a 5' (12 cm) display.  That's the future of people watching films.  On their little iphone and android phone (which I think look better in contrast and color than most consumer Televisions).

Sony F35 with ultra prime lenses .

Until then, you gotta make it look good for a 5' (12 cm) display.  That's the future of people watching films.  On their little iphone and android phone (which I think look better in contrast and color than most consumer Televisions).

​More likely an iPad with Retina display.

I have a high end profiled monitor for HD and have to admit that the iPad mini Retina smokes it.

Large format still photographers insisted that a 5x7 contact print was the ultimate as it was a format that one could visualize in toto ... not scanning 

the picture for information but taking it in as a whole.

I have found that the mini format is pretty close to this ... never realized how phenomenal my RED Epic files were until I formatted them

for the Retina display ... sure, spend 20K for a 4K projection system and you can impress your friends ... or convince them that you have again

overstepped the bounds of polite societal conventions. Most of us prefer the intimate to the ultimate ... JMHO.

Bob