Why GH2/GH3/GH4 wont show exposure values?

Vesku

Does anyone know why Panasonic cameras wont show exposure values while shooting video. It must be a conscious decision of Panasonic but why? It is difficult to use automatic modes with my GH4 because I cant know what the camera is doing. Even some compact cameras like Sony RX100 shows exposure values. I think that GH4 is still more serious video tool that RX100. I wonder why no review mention that issue. (I know, use manual etc etc..., but many times there is no time to adjust manual)

Would you buy a photo camera which wont show exposure values? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Why do you want to see the exposure values? If you are shooting manual, you will know what the values are since you've set them yourself. If you are shooting auto, seeing the values is not going to give you control over them in any way. Why would you shoot auto modes?

Why do you want to see the exposure values? If you are shooting manual, you will know what the values are since you've set them yourself. If you are shooting auto, seeing the values is not going to give you control over them in any way. Why would you shoot auto modes?

​If I am shooting run and gun style I have no time and interest to set every clip manually. There are many situations when I must start camera instantly when something happens. Why cant I shoot with auto then? Sometimes I must pan from dark to bright light. Sometimes light changes dramatically i.e a cloud blocks the sun rapidly. I may walk with camera from inside to outside. Why are you people always say dont use auto?

When I dont see the automatic value I cant know if I am in danger zone.

-too small aperture and diffraction

-too low shutter speed for post stabilization

-too high SS (jerky motion)

Is the GH4 ment only for movie production? I think it is after all just a consumer camera. A normal user will select 1/60 ss in a sunny day like recommended and shoots with aperture f22 not knowing that it will ruin the clip. Then he wonders why his 4k videos are so soft.

I agree with Vesku - there seems to be no good reason for not showing the iso/aperture/ss info.

It's really useful to know in bright conditions if you should be thinking about using an ND filter, for example.

To take another Panasonic camera, the little LX7 (in creative movie mode) does show this information when you half-press the shutter button.

On the G6 (for example) I can work around this lack of information when using the 'flicker reduction' option to fix the shutter speed (which essentially gives you a limited video shutter priority auto mode). I set the main dial to shutter priority and the shutter speed to the same as the 'flicker reduction' setting. Then half-pressing the shutter button will show the exposure info (for an equivalent still shot). But you shouldn't really need to do this to get the exposure values....

When I dont see the automatic value I cant know if I am in danger zone.

-too small aperture and diffraction

-too low shutter speed for post stabilization

-too high SS (jerky motion)

​Then why shoot automatic at all if you are afraid of those dangers?! It's not like you can change those values in auto

​Then why shoot automatic at all if you are afraid of those dangers?! It's not like you can change those values in auto

-​If I use A I can select aperture so that the SS works in safe zone. If SS wants to go too high I dial to smaller aperture.

-If I use S I can select shutter which gives me proper aperture. I select higher shutter if aperture wants to go to diffraction zone.

-If using S and auto iso in dark, I can change shutter speed so that the iso wont go too high. It would also be helpful to see if camera goes to iso 6400. I could the dial SS to 1/30s to lower iso. Auto iso is handy because it can minimize iso to get least noise. I still want to see what is doing.

-etc...

It is not fun to think exposure every time I start a new clip. I want to spend my capacity to creativity like composition, subject, camera movements, interviewing, telling something, focusing, zooming... 

So now youre faffing about getting the right mode before changing the settings?

I'm all for this feature to be implemented (just so its there) but your reasoning makes no sense. 

​Yes right mode for right shooting session, not for every clip. When the basic setup is right it is easy just shoot without thinking every clip.

-Indoors with 50Hz lightning S-mode and 1/50ss and auto iso or fixed iso.

-with ex-tele when the best objective sharpness is a goal I use A and the sharpest aperture.

-if I want sharp motion or sharp slow motion I use high shutter speed. S or A if i could see the SS.

-etc

If I could monitor what the camera is doing I could react and compensate with EV or current setting (S or A) during a clip or session.

Exposure tools are designed for use. I just wonder why the camera wont show what it is doing with these tools. What harm can it cause? Does Panasonic think that it want to protect us for not showing too much information so that we cant understand the situation. I think it is actually backwards. Now we are confused why clips look bad sometimes when using auto modes. GH4 is a flagship model for experienced users. I am sure that we can understand what exposure values mean while shooting.