Samsung NX1 H265 Workflow Suggestions

jpommier

Hello,

I've been using the Samsung NX1 for a few months now and the workflow I've been using is convert the H265 to Prores 422 HQ using the RockyMountains Movie Converter (ver. 0.2.00). Initially the added brightness from converting to Prores and then to H264 didn't really effect what I was doing. Now that I've used it for short narrative projects that I took the time to light, this shift in brightness from the conversion is bothering me a bit. A more recent example, I was doing some test shots for an upcoming project and the musician I'm doing the video for asked if I could send him over a clip of the test footage. For this, I did a quick and dirty conversion with the Samsung Movie Converter software and the jump in brightness and loss of quality was pretty bad. I've attached a before and after.

Is there anything anyone else is doing to counter this brightness/gamma shift? Is anyone using a different workflow that they are happy with? I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

PS I know the "Before" image is dark. I'm going for a very contrasty look where the environment falls to black.

Test Shot_Before.jpg

Test Shot_Exported.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I read somewhere that the best workflow is actually using Rockymountain to go from H.265 to H.264 and then from H.264 to ProRes HQ. This eliminates banding and helps cut back on macro blocking. Can someone confirm that this is the case?

Its discussed in the comment section here: https://vimeo.com/126498725

​You don't need to go from H.265 to H.264 and from H.264 to Prores HQ using Rockymountain, just get a professional H.265 Video Converter in hand to directly encode 4K H.265 to Prores HQ. And Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac is such a cool tool to decode H.265 files smoothly and you will have no worries about the recordings from Samsung NX1 camcorder any more.

• Super Members

​You don't need to go from H.265 to H.264 and from H.264 to Prores HQ using Rockymountain, just get a professional H.265 Video Converter in hand to directly encode 4K H.265 to Prores HQ. And Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac is such a cool tool to decode H.265 files smoothly and you will have no worries about the recordings from Samsung NX1 camcorder any more.

I just use Rocky Mountain to go from h.265 to Prores. No need to get a professional converter for that.

Imo it doesn't degrade noticeably. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Work directly with H265 if you can, saves space and better to edit with the native files.

i'll try shooting 16-235 with Gamma C at default settings and transcode to prores 422 hg 1080p today. No grading, just wanna see if it will speed up the workflow. H.265 is really demanding on my system where h.264 is much faster

i'll try shooting 16-235 with Gamma C at default settings and transcode to prores 422 hg 1080p today. No grading, just wanna see if it will speed up the workflow. H.265 is really demanding on my system where h.264 is much faster

which system do u have? I have a 5820@4.4ghz, 16gb of memory and an amd fury and working on h.265 is really fast!

which system do u have? I have a 5820@4.4ghz, 16gb of memory and an amd fury and working on h.265 is really fast!

I am using a razer blade laptop with 16gb of memory,  turbo boost to 3.6ghz intel i7, nvidia gtx 970m ! I really need to build a desktop with two graphics cards

Editready is really a great piece of software. Man, shot some interviews today. I keep thinking to myself "This body was a thousand bucks!!!"

frame1.thumb.jpg.61556323bda8cc4bf5cf153

you've been getting some damn good results man. None of that high sharpness aliasing neither !

I am using a razer blade laptop with 16gb of memory,  turbo boost to 3.6ghz intel i7, nvidia gtx 970m ! I really need to build a desktop with two graphics cards

Go for one very good card not 2. SLI does not speed up Premiere. I have 2 GTX 960's in my system and Premiere crashes on every render unless I disable SLI.

you've been getting some damn good results man. None of that high sharpness aliasing neither !

Thank you - like I've said in other posts, I find I'm shooting more wide open than in the past. The jump in sharpness from 1.8 to F4 I used to look for, now I'm trying to really push away the sharpness.

I think it's time to look into some diffusion, like a glimmerglass or something, been interviewing a lot of ladies lately! I have a set of 70's era hasselblad softs I might test soon, but I expect a modern filter may have a better mix of diffuse and sharpness.