Sony A7R II looks to feature 9K sensor / 56MP

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Come on Andrew, don't let you fool yourself so easily. The picture has a weird aspect ratio, it has been cropped. Look at the image at 100% view, it looks upsized. Most of those sample images ZEISS published have pixel dimensions that are different from the original pixel size, although most are a bit smaller. Those images are edited and this one just has been exported with a higher resolution.

Rumors about the A7R II have been pretty consistent in saying it will get the same 36 MP sensor, with added 5-axis stabilisation. I do believe Sony will come with a high resolution competitor, but it makes more sense if this will be something like an A9 Pro camera. Rumors about a camera like that have been doing the rounds last year a lot. It makes sense since Sony already launched a Pro program like NPS (Nikon) and CPS (Canon).

And 8K video... really? Sony couldn't make 4K internal in the A7S. There has been a lot of talk about the Sony A7000 with 4K coming, but being delayed because of heat issues.

It's possible that the stabilizer permits pixel shift, If it's fast enough it could be even better than actual 56mp.

​True, but pixel shift would show movement when shooting non-static objects like this portrait.

Also, if this shot would have been taken with pixel shift, it would be a lot sharper and more detailed. The OM-D E-M5 II pixel shift images visibly beat 36MP Nikon files for example regarding to color detail/sharpness.

Look at the noise of this '56MP' image on the top left. Not a 'sharp' grain structure. Upsized, obviously.

Well. 

In my opinion: 

Sony had the A7 for basic FF, A7S for sensitivity and video, A7R for resolution. 

They had been rumored to release a PRO body A9 that do it all (4K, 50mpx, pro material and AF...) but this makes no sense. How can you call an A7R the best camera for resolution if behind it you have a A9 with more mpx ? Plus pro does not mean 50mpx. 50mpx is a super specific usage yes, but does not mean pro. 

So in my opinion, Sony should have A7R for resolution : with 50+mpx such as in this ZEISS picture, and A9 with best class AF, best class sensor (25-38mpx), best ergonomic and 4K. If they release the A7R to be 36mpx + just new A7ii body and stabilization and then a 50mpx A9 then it's a joke and a pure marketing fail. 

That being said, I disagree with you Andrew. For me there is no way the A7R II will be the first A7 body with 4K... How on earth can they then market the A7S??? 

Either A7S II will be the first to have internal 4K, either A9 (justified by the fact it is the A series limousine). 

​Why does the raw data show it was processed in ACR and came from application: A7R v1.01 not A7RII? Seems like someone missed a forgot to modify a exif field.

​There are other inconsistent fields as well. For example, the ACR-generated focal plane resolution fields are for a 36MP A7r:

From linked image:

Focal Plane X Resolution        : 2049.067291
Focal Plane Y Resolution        : 2049.067291

From an A7r image processed in ACR:

Focal Plane X Resolution        : 2049.067291
Focal Plane Y Resolution        : 2049.067291

From an A7II image processed in ACR:

Focal Plane X Resolution        : 1675.257385
Focal Plane Y Resolution        : 1675.257385

First of all the image looks up scaled. Secondly the image on ZEISS matches for printing and 300dpi. So this could explain why they upscaled the image.

I agree Andrew that there is no V for video. However there is in mind of people that is why put 4k in a A7R before A7S would not make sense in marketing, except if it is a A9 marketed as the A-limousine.

Let's hope I am wrong, if Sony gives a 59mpx A7Rii with IBIS and 4K I give them all my money right now.

couldn't it just be a semi-crippled 4k? wouldn't it almost have to be, if it had that insane megapixel count? it could just be showing intentions of 4k (better 4k) in the future. doesn't necessarily mean it would steal the show from an A9 or as7ii with 4k. some people are saying 4k should be in everything now, and it's possible people are starting to not settle for anything less. if it's the new 1080p, the a7rii can have 4k

I don't believe the A7rii will have 4k internal before A7sii.

Given that the A7s is at most a year old, technology would have to have come a long way to be able to get internal 4k into a decent codec in that tiny body and that sensor size. 

Given the only other video camera Sony has in its entire lineup with a larger than 4k sensor is the F65, I find it pretty unrealistic to think that a $2,000 consumer camera will employ the same technology. Hey, I might be wrong. But I doubt it. At least for now. Also, the A7s was always designed as the video-oriented camera despite what the letters might represent.

Now, Sony, of all camera manufacturers, were the first to tout the fact that you can get 'real' 4k out of their F65, based on its 8k sensor that was 'necessary' to get 'proper' 4k - so if anyone's going to do it, it's probably Sony.

But then, it also doesn't really make sense - and the F65 is less popular than the F55 as cinema cameras go, so obviously it's not all just about resolution.

I think in the future all cameras in this price range will need  4K to be considered serious contenders. Perhaps the A7sii will be more light sensitive?

​I don't really understand why - these cameras are still first and foremost photo cameras, perhaps with the exception of the A7s. 

Yes - in the future, when 4k has become the new 1080p - i.e. the standard (it hasn't yet) but not in the immediate future. 

But you don't don't wanna be left behind if the 4k standard sneaks up on you.

I think in the future all cameras in this price range will need  4K to be considered serious contenders. Perhaps the A7sii will be more light sensitive?

Wouldn't more sensitivity mean less megapixels and less likely it can even do 4k? And the stills resolution is pretty low on the a7s, pushing it as is.