Canon XC10 "lens slides out" when used on drone

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​Yeah. That's where I wish Panasonic would offer up a selection.

​Interesting idea and I agree.  The GH4 is being upgraded pretty well right now and I don't expect a GH5 until at least 2016, meanwhile it would be great to see the AF100 revised into some super 35 worthy 4k camera.  Oh well ................. sigh.

Anybody seen, held or used the XC10 yet? I am interested. 

​Yes, I did. It was on display at NAB in the Canon booth (might have been elsewhere too at NAB). As I wrote earlier, the build felt cheap and plasticky; the lens was really dim; the varying aperture changed the exposure quite a bit so it was clear it would be a pain to do video while zooming in/out; and the add-on hood (loupe) was quite flimsy and would come off easily. On the plus side, it was reasonably light; and it felt fine to hold.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Thank you Sekhar for your first report ever of the XC10. 

The loup was said to be broken and not properly attachable on the NAB model from abusers. From what  I've seen in videos outside of NAB the Loup loks very solid and attaches/detaches with a simple lever, very very quick. 

Anyhow I'd like to know what you actually mean by plasticky and cheap build quality, that's too shocking given how highly aimed it is in this specific area, with Canon reps claiming it's C100/300 build quality and Westful going as far as saying it's on same level of build material as the 1DX/C (which is even a higher grade material than the Cx00!) 

Why did you feel it was cheap? was there anything in particular that fealt weak? I mean even a Canon rebel from the outside handling appearance when held looks as well built as a Cx00, just a brick of black grade metal/plastic with the same texture and hardness as all their bodies, I'd be surprised if this has a marked plasticky/cheap body. 

Thank you Sekhar for your first report ever of the XC10. 

The loup was said to be broken and not properly attachable on the NAB model from abusers. From what  I've seen in videos outside of NAB the Loup loks very solid and attaches/detaches with a simple lever, very very quick. 

Anyhow I'd like to know what you actually mean by plasticky and cheap build quality, that's too shocking given how highly aimed it is in this specific area, with Canon reps claiming it's C100/300 build quality and Westful going as far as saying it's on same level of build material as the 1DX/C (which is even a higher grade material than the Cx00!) 

Why did you feel it was cheap? was there anything in particular that fealt weak? I mean even a Canon rebel from the outside handling appearance when held looks as well built as a Cx00, just a brick of black grade metal/plastic with the same texture and hardness as all their bodies, I'd be surprised if this has a marked plasticky/cheap body. 

​Didn't know the NAB piece had a broken loupe, that explains it. It was pretty easy to get on and off though, except that it wouldn't stay in place. Much easier than the Zacuto loupe I have with my Canon 6D to put on/off for sure, just don't know how it'll withstand the day/day grind.

In terms of build quality, it just felt cheap. Kind of like how you'd feel with a t2i vs. even a 5d3, like a consumer product that's not meant to handle tough pro use. It might have had to do with it being a pre-release piece. Actually, if you check out the images on the web, you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, I just found a report by a guy who also handled the piece at NAB, check it out at http://www.photographybay.com/2015/04/14/canon-xc10-hands-on/.

​Didn't know the NAB piece had a broken loupe, that explains it. It was pretty easy to get on and off though, except that it wouldn't stay in place. Much easier than the Zacuto loupe I have with my Canon 6D to put on/off for sure, just don't know how it'll withstand the day/day grind.

In terms of build quality, it just felt cheap. Kind of like how you'd feel with a t2i vs. even a 5d3, like a consumer product that's not meant to handle tough pro use. It might have had to do with it being a pre-release piece. Actually, if you check out the images on the web, you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, I just found a report by a guy who also handled the piece at NAB, check it out at http://www.photographybay.com/2015/04/14/canon-xc10-hands-on/.

​Wow seeing it in someones hands, that is pretty small. Basically DSLR size.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

film looks great yes, C300 with deep DOF and 4K resolution basically. BTS the guys annoy me for some reason, their behavior and language and joking, just annoying to hear them talk :D Good work though.

film looks great yes, C300 with deep DOF and 4K resolution basically. BTS the guys annoy me for some reason, their behavior and language and joking, just annoying to hear them talk :D Good work though.

​I think it's part of a uniquely american brand of obnoxious youth culture. Ties in with the selfie narcissism trend. 

​I think it's part of a uniquely american brand of obnoxious youth culture. Ties in with the selfie narcissism trend. 

​Hey, don't make this out to be an American thing. I've never seen these kinds of antics in a BTS before (with young or old folks), must be something specific to these guys. At least they seem to be enjoying themselves.

Stupid comment and hardly a uniquely American phenomenon. I live in The U.S., 70 million people visited my state last year including tons of selfie stick brandishing individuals from Asia, Europe and South America - most notably Japanese, British, German and Brazillian. A couple of idiots don't represent an entire country. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Ops, now I wish I hadn't pointed out they annoyed me :D Anyway, the xc10, what a weird beast