Canon XC10 "lens slides out" when used on drone

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​and if you need 12 stops DR?

This is sure a niche product I wont be pressing "buy now" any time soon.... But it is fairly unique in it's image quality and size.

I cannot afford to fly with an epic or C300 II... So if I want 4K filmic quality, the options are low. GH4 has low DR and no log mode, as does all the other small cameras mentioned. BMPC is heavy as hell, as is the 1DC (for my particular drone).

This camera, though flawed in some ways, ticks boxes for my personal needs. I am sure it does for others too.

Thousands of professional videos done with GoPro, GH4, Dji cameras, thousands of Professional videos...........

*With all due respect, enthusiasts seem to do too much talking and have no idea how things work in the "real" world

I do drone work for BMW mate... Not excatly enthusiast level. 

In the real world, DR and image quality counts. GoPro will not be enough for clients like BMW, but the nnature of the work doesn't allow for RED/Octo level budget.

GH4 is good, we use it often... Why not try something that could be better though?

In the real world, DR and image quality counts. GoPro will not be enough for clients like BMW, but the nnature of the work doesn't allow for RED/Octo level budget.

GH4 is good, we use it often... Why not try something that could be better though?

​What kind of BMW ad doesn't have the budget to rent RED? Not being a jerk, just genuinely curious.

​So then you clearly are working and understand how it truly is "mate".......  As the director though I would still use a GoPro over the Blackmagic anyways, sure you don't have that much resolution but you can shoot in 4x the resolution which is huge + you still have Protune which is great for getting your colors where you want them.

​What kind of BMW ad doesn't have the budget to rent RED? Not being a jerk, just genuinely curious.

Producers only care about #'s, If they can save $500  or more by flying on a smaller camera for aerial shots which they don't want to give you a budget for in the first place then consider yourself lucky..... Hence the reason why we use GoPros and similar cameras. Unless you're working on a film or 100k+ budget it is very rare you will see a producer green light the budget for a more expensive camera to be flown, especially when GoPro at 4k looks very good.

​For those extreme wide shots you get with Drones having higher than 1080p resolution is simply one of the most important things. Blackmagic really made a mistake by not having this camera at least be 2.5k. That's why people fly GoPro, Dji, GH4, etc

I wonder if BMC will put the Micro Studio 4K sensor in the Micro at some point? Seems feasible to me. I've never thought of 4K as necessary-- I've seen plenty of movies projected in 2K at the theater that looked great-- but maybe you have a point with the extreme wide shots in a drone. I don't have experience with that.

​They are not tv spots.

BMW hire out a race track in south Portugal to test soon to launch models. We shoot promo stuff that gets sent out to various big players in the industry to start wetting the appetite.

We have used GoPros, then when we moved to GH4, people noticed the quality upgrade.... Pulling photos is also part of the process, so 12 stops would help. We have to shoot in some really harsh daytime sun. Maybe the XC10 can take it up yet another level? I look forward to testing it.

Would I prefer a larger sensor, a nice F2.0 12-35mm lens,,,, hell yea,,, but I do see uses for this niche camera.

The BM micro would be a dream for 1080p, for our needs though, 4K is a must

​They are not tv spots.

BMW hire out a race track in south Portugal to test soon to launch models. We shoot promo stuff that gets sent out to various big players in the industry to start wetting the appetite.

We have used GoPros, then when we moved to GH4, people noticed the quality upgrade.... Pulling photos is also part of the process, so 12 stops would help. We have to shoot in some really harsh daytime sun. Maybe the XC10 can take it up yet another level? I look forward to testing it.

Would I prefer a larger sensor, a nice F2.0 12-35mm lens,,,, hell yea,,, but I do see uses for this niche camera.

What about the Blackmagic 4k cam? Raw,4K, lightweight.

it is around 10x the weight of the XC10... its quite a heavy cam really

Hey Jimmy. If you feel this camera is right for you, then I'd ignore anything anyone says on this forum. Prove everybody wrong that it might be in fact a great drone cam. 

I personally wouldn't buy it due to the cost, but that's me. I have no purpose for it where others will. Like everything really. I dislike stating the obvious, but obvious in filmmaking is quite a complicated thing. 

I'm very much on the fence... need to see jello, usable DR, AF, lens characteristics, 1080,60p, low light etc etc

Will rent one when the next assignment comes up (I only do drone work 5-6 times a year, but the cam would quickly pay for itself and lends itself well to a few other niche markets we work in).

Obviously alot of posters here are very much narrative based and this camera is next to useless for that (other than gimbal work, perhaps).. But I hope I might add a voice for the niche markets. (To emphasise the niche markets I work in, 90% of my money comes from shooting in portrait for mobile phones!)

​They are not tv spots.

​Jimmy here you are ----  

I asked someone I know about the pending Panasonic V-log roll-out on the GH4.  I told him I hoped, or rather dreamed that the result would be similar highlights and tonality to the new VeriCam 35 coming out. At NAB he verified that it appears to be exactly that.  So imagine your GH4 v-log with two more stops of DR and the exact same gamma curve of their high end VeriCam.

Here you are   http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/panasonic-avvcam/nab-15-from-the-panasonic-private-suite.html

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

"Andrew: plastic toy as the XC10"

Really?! everyone who touched it said it feels exactly as well built as the C300ii/C100ii. And Chuck confirms it's "on par with the 1dx/c" in terms of build material. The XC10 is a brick, unless you've held it and found it plasticky. 

Either they must have been joking or were talking of a different pre-release version. I handled it at NAB (at the Canon booth, I think there was only one location where they had it on display), and it felt surprisingly cheap and plasticky to me. To be honest, I was really taken aback. The worst part of it was the clip-on hood.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

​Im liking the image out of it, the canon log is alot nicer than what i've seen form any other fixed lens camera

Look at that C-LOG footage. The organic non-sharpened yet incredibly sharp image, the DR, the skin tones, and look at the slowmotion quality, and AF, the organic motion, and the flawless optics from 24 all the way to 240mm. This is the kind of image you just can't help falling for. It looks just like a c100/300/1dc just without the shallow DOF. Imagine this at 4K. Most of this filmic magic is clearly down to C-log as you can see it loses everything at the other profiles, the organic sharpness, the colour science, the DR, it just looks horrible at standard and EOS standard, which explains why Canon's promo looked awful vs the later film shot in C-log.

​Jimmy here you are ----  

I asked someone I know about the pending Panasonic V-log roll-out on the GH4.  I told him I hoped, or rather dreamed that the result would be similar highlights and tonality to the new VeriCam 35 coming out. At NAB he verified that it appears to be exactly that.  So imagine your GH4 v-log with two more stops of DR and the exact same gamma curve of their high end VeriCam.

Here you are   http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/panasonic-avvcam/nab-15-from-the-panasonic-private-suite.html

Very good info and eagerly awaiting what the final version "log" will actually do for the GH4. Also Canon XC10 looks great, 4k resolution is definitely a standard when purchasing any camera as of today.