Canon XC10 "lens slides out" when used on drone

Andrew Reid

If I was into drones and wanted a camera, right now, I'd probably go with the Blackmagic Micro camera (too bad it's not 4k). That's a camera that's actually designed to be used on drones as it has much better remote control operation and it's small and light. It's also $999, and you can shoot RAW with it using a global shutter. Other than 4K, I don't see how any other drone cameras come close to the Blackmagic. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am waiting for DJI to release M43 camera module for Inspire 1, the ability to have total control all on pre-built package is what it set apart from the rest. The drones to fly all those camera still cost a lot of money and time, but no doubt they will come down in price eventually though.

the ideal specs for a drone camera are at least 4k 60fps plus an interchangable lens mount.  if low budget drones should carry it, it needs to be a leightweight camera, and if you have a low budget drone, you also probably would like to use a camera that is in a cheaper range like the XC10, not 6000-8000 euros/usd.  price range of the ursa mini is okay, but the camera is still too heavy.  right now it looks we would need to wait longer for that and live with a 4k 25fps GH4 as probably best option for low weight, low budget drone flights.

in general it seems the manufactures seem to go in two directions to fight the decreasing camera sales:  canon, red and others come up with the slowest innovation rate as possible and split their features in many different or too expensive products.  on the other hand, black magic and panasonic seem to deliver more than people expect from them.  so it's most likely that the most suitable 4k 60fps drone camera will be coming from them.  unfortunately also not before 2016.  but at least way before 2018, which is the earliest date i expect canon to make overwhelmingly positive camera releases again (if they do at all).

​So does the zoom not flop out or does it?!

You can't keep the truth from these pages as easily as you can some of the other bum licking parts of the internet

​Ha ha ha Agreed!!!...I like your articles, because they are not politically correct, actually you hear the same old argument from Canon apologists, its a perfect camera for such and such...and it will have a great image, proper 4K lens etc...and probably there is some truth in these statements.
But its now 2015 and Panansonic, Sony, BMD are offering soo much more at soo much less, and all these manufacturers have cameras that are capable of a great image in the right hands.
Canon deserve to be called out, wether you agree or not with Andrew is up to you, but the reality is Canon charges waaay too much for waaay to little in 2015!

I try to check EOSHD on a daily basis. But this "let's attack Canon thing" doesn't make sense anymore. Sure, they started the DSLR revolution (by mistake), but if they don't offer us what we want anymore let's look at somewhere else. We have many options in the market now.

Totally agree. $2.5k "drone" camera with a a zoom lens and no lock button... Meanwhile, BM micro camera will have a PWM & S.Bus port !!!  With a Lumix 7-14 or the new Zuiko 7-14 2.8 the BM micro should be less expensive than the XC10 crapmera.

Don't get me wrong, I own a 6D with a ton of glass and I love it for photo work. I'm not anti-canon but this camera is a joke. I'm keeping my GH4 for video and I'll buy A7sII and GH5 when they'll come out. Never going to buy C100 or Xc10 stuff. The first one is too expensive, the last one is an insult.

​So does the zoom not flop out or does it?!

You can't keep the truth from these pages as easily as you can some of the other bum licking parts of the internet

​let's see when it launches.... do you not think this guy gave feedback to Canon? Could it not just have been a slight fault in one pre-production camera? If you have even an ounce of editorial nous... You would ask yourself these questions before clicking publish.

once it is out... if it still happens, give them hell... For now, it is a non story and i think you know that.

​let's see when it launches.... do you not think this guy gave feedback to Canon? Could it not just have been a slight fault in one pre-production camera? If you have even an ounce of editorial nous... You would ask yourself these questions before clicking publish.

once it is out... if it still happens, give them hell... For now, it is a non story and i think you know that.

Its not a story, its opinion and thats part of Andrews gig here.  A combination of straight technical camera geek, stuff and opinion.  Like it or not this post fits in perfectly with what this blog has always been about.

Oh and seriously for $2,500 this camera may to some feel like it was rushed to market before it was ready.

Well, I would hope andrew has thick enough skin to appreciate when people ask him for a little less bias. If this lens issue is a big problem, then every blog and forum will bring it to the fore and I wil join in with the condemnation.

Quite why a prototype deserves an article is beyond me though.

As for the price, if you want to name me all these 4K, 12 stop, 4:2:2 cameras that will sit snugly on my drone. be my guest.

I dont give a flying, steaming shite what brand name is on my camera, I want IQ, and, from what I can see... as a drone camera, although it has issue, it still ticks boxes that no other camera can, right now.

the reason i like this blog, this forum and everything about indie guys is the idea of jumping through hoops to get a quality that is generally out of bounds, due to price.... As a drone shooter, this camera has that indie vibe to it. Taping shit up just to get an extra stop or two of DR. That's the buzz of indie shooting. 

Of course, if it is perfect out of the box, fantastic.... but the idea that it has to be condemned due to a small issue seems to go against every other blog article Andrew makes from other manufacturers. Indie is indie, it has no brand. Do what you need to do to get a better image.

Yeah, well, it can fly around on a golden unicorn with layed-in diamonds. But with those internals, and from what they've showed us, it's never gonna live up to the expectations of most, you'd really have to have specific needs then, let's be honest here.

But hey, maybe it's just the thing you're looking for and you don't mind the price. Go for it. They wouldn't have made it, if they thought noone was going to buy it, is what I always say. Hakuna matata. Have fun with it. Although I'm really really wondering if it will fly off the shelves like that... I'm pretty sure sealed boxes will remain in warehouses collecting dust. Then they realize they need to cut the price in half to even make it interesting, and by then, even people that might have considered it, won't consider it, because then there's always Blackmagic and Panasonic. Or you could rent the ARRI Alexa Mini.

I really don't get this camera. And I'm not going to get it too. But hey, whatever floats your boat. No reason you shouldn't do how you do.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The XC10 is a combination of elements that are not found on any other camera all at once. If you don't care for these elements, that doesn't mean the camera is ''bad''. It just means it's not for you. 

The only problem with EOSHD/Andrew articles and opinions is that they don't comprehend the concept of having products designed for some one other than one self. Like an XC10, a Dvx200, and MANY more.This is not a fact, just my opinion and is only as right or wrong as the person reading it thinks. 

Sure, every product appeals to somebody. The problem here is that Canon says XC10 is a mainstream pro camera (for both creative and ENG folks, per their PR and XC10 product page) rather than niche as many here see it. When Leica prices its monochrome M rangefinder at $8K, sure it appeals to some. Nobody will bash it for being B&W and compare it to a $200 P&S like folks are doing with XC10 because Leica is not positioning it as mainstream.

• Administrators

The only problem with EOSHD/Andrew articles and opinions is that they don't comprehend the concept of having products designed for some one other than one self...

​Let's get this straight.

I think I speak for many when I say this...

I'm not putting up a selfish analysis of Canon's woes.

They really are failing to provide something innovative. That's the objective truth. We have been waiting forever for a innovative DSLR from Canon that does good video (without the pure good fortune of Magic Lantern and raw).

Instead we got the XC10, the small chip camcorder we have to sellotape up so it works with the kind of equipment Canon is touting it for.... the small chip camcorder priced $2500 yet lacking a constant aperture on the lens... the clinical small chip camcorder in a world of more artistic interchangeable lens cameras... the small chip camcorder Canon think is a GH4 competitor when it is anything but...

If I was into drones and wanted a camera, right now, I'd probably go with the Blackmagic Micro camera (too bad it's not 4k). That's a camera that's actually designed to be used on drones as it has much better remote control operation and it's small and light. It's also $999, and you can shoot RAW with it using a global shutter. Other than 4K, I don't see how any other drone cameras come close to the Blackmagic. 

​If you want higher quality 4K on a drone, then the Panasonic LX100 is the obvious answer :-)

NOT the Canon XC10

​For those extreme wide shots you get with Drones having higher than 1080p resolution is simply one of the most important things. Blackmagic really made a mistake by not having this camera at least be 2.5k. That's why people fly GoPro, Dji, GH4, etc

​For those extreme wide shots you get with Drones having higher than 1080p resolution is simply one of the most important things. Blackmagic really made a mistake by not having this camera at least be 2.5k. That's why people fly GoPro, Dji, GH4, etc

Agreed, for me the best drone / camera combination is the 3dr Solo with a GoPro Black Edition 4K. Plus 3dr will replace both if the drone malfunctions and they are damaged.

​If you want higher quality 4K on a drone, then the Panasonic LX100 is the obvious answer :-)
NOT the Canon XC10

​and if you need 12 stops DR?

This is sure a niche product I wont be pressing "buy now" any time soon.... But it is fairly unique in it's image quality and size.

I cannot afford to fly with an epic or C300 II... So if I want 4K filmic quality, the options are low. GH4 has low DR and no log mode, as does all the other small cameras mentioned. BMPC is heavy as hell, as is the 1DC (for my particular drone).

This camera, though flawed in some ways, ticks boxes for my personal needs. I am sure it does for others too.