How are you dealing with Closed Captioning for TV

DigitalEd

The main objective in shooting a movie or production is producing something that will some day get on TV at some point or if you are producing any TV style shows or commercials for TV all ready

How are you dealing with Closed Captioning ??? what are you using ? How are you doing it.

As part of working on a possible local TV show we have been told by the TV station that any video we turn in must have Closed Captioning including all the commercials on the show we sell. This tosses in more work into the mix on top of editing for broadcast safe video as well.

Any suggestions of the lowest cost way to do this that would be done in auto no typing.  I see software that lets you loop the video as you go every few seconds and have to type in everything someone says --  what i nightmare that would be. That could take longer then editing the video. Many years ago when i produced tv we did not have to do that it seems that it is a FCC law now.

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What kind of station is this and what's the nature of the program you're producing? Are you producing a program for the station or are you trying to sell a program to the station? If it's the former, the station should use its own captioning service and shouldn't burden you with that task. If not there are plenty of captioning services out there that will caption your program. 

Another thing, if you are selling your program to the station, then they shouldn't require you to caption the program at all.

at the sabi company, we've produced and licensed 3 or 4 features over the years to different distributors and each time they had a company they could recommend for this. and often, they had pre-negotiated a good rate for creating the closed captioning. 

that being said, I believe adobe premiere has the necessary functionality to generate the appropriate file. but there are conventions of placement on-screen, syntax and duration that I would prefer to leave to a professional, rather than pull my hair out learning yet another "skill" the hard way.

I would be producing the show and the station would be providing the air time. We would get to keep around half of the commercial space to sell to make our end of any money and they would get the other half of the 30 second commercial to sell on their end. It would be a MMA fight show that is local only very low to no budget. We have many local MMA fights in the area and i would be getting the footage of each fight event to us so this would be a show that shows fight clips and interviews when we can get them with a host that talks about the fights and upcoming fights. I would be mixing in at times clips of training when i can get that to a lot of the fighters are from outside the area so i can not get that all the time. I shoot stills of all the fights now have been doing that for around 5 years now for them.

Have been Shooting sample clips over the last two weeks with the NX1 in 4K but if this works out i need to switch to HD 4K as it is takes to long to deal with in so many ways for a lower end project.

I will find out more on the 9th when i meet with them i see a exception in the FCC law that may let us not have to do this for a local produced show not produced by the station with no repeat value that is not News and is of local public interest. It is Excption #8 on the FCC site