Eiki 16f close-focusing only!

OzNimbus

Hey all!

I've really been intrigued by the whole anamorphic thing & took the plunge.  Unfortunately, I've got an issue with my first anamorphic lens:  it only seems to want to close-focus.  Anything from just under a foot to about 3.5 feet will focus no problem, but anything further out that that & forget it.
  After testing numerous taking lenses, including Takumar 50, 55, 28, 35, 135,  Zeiss 50,  Mir 37, Nikon 50, and Canon 20, it's conclusive:  This lens won't focus outside of 3.5 feet.  I've double checked & there is no diopter on this lens  (that's one of the first things I looked for)

I'm curious:  could the lens just be seriously out of calibration? Is this something I could take to a tech & have adjusted?
I've included a short demo video. (link below)  The long, wide shot was stopped down to  f11 & that's as sharp as I could get it....  The taking lens on all shots was my Zeiss Pancolar 50mm 1.8

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

http://vimeo.com/45035261

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I had a similar issue with a 2x anamorphic lens (although it was the quite bigger Isco-Gottigen Anamorphotic Kiptar) and I decided to poke around and see if I could solve the issue myself. The culprit was calibration: the front and rear element of the lens were not properly [i]aligned[/i].

Judging by your footage, I'd say that the lens is just not properly calibrated. If you feel adventurous you could try to "operate" on the lens yourself, in my case all that was needed was a bunch of screwdrivers and a couple hours.
I suppose you could also bring it to a professional and have the job done right, it's just the matter of finding someone qualified (and unfortunately I can't help you with that!).

Don't take my word for it though, maybe other members have better solutions/thoughts.
I hope it helped nonetheless.

Have you tried adjusting your anamorphic up 10, 25, 50 to infinity in meters? I have the same design, but it's a Sankor 16f.  With my anamorphic, I had to focus with both the anamorphic lens and the taking lens.  I would suggest that you move the top head of the anamorphic lens which gives you the length of focal distance (you would see the numbers - e.g.: 6, 8, 10)

Hope that helps.

• 5 months later...