Fast & Furious is now an Avengers type superhero film

mtheory

When this franchise started it was about kids having fun with cars and doing illegal races...now its a damn ensemble superhero film ala Avengers...did anybody notice that? I can totally see them doing a crossover "Fast & Furious Transformers" in a few years where Vin Diesel is riding a car that transforms into a robot dinosaur, then teams up with Marky Mark to save the planet...

Keeping it real is no longer cool in Hollywood...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I disagree, - even blockbusters were alot more grounded before, look at the original Jurassic Park for example, - aside from the cloning the dinosaurs the film was strongly grounded in reality..not a single human in that film ever challenged a dinosaur and lived...whereas in the new Jurassic World reboot I fully expect the main character to uppercut the T-Rex at some point...I mean..look at the poster...

Jurassic_World_Final_Poster_Chris_Pratt_

...he already tamed the damn Velociraptors. Its just bizarre.

...he already tamed the damn Velociraptors. Its just bizarre.

​A giant ape falls in love with a bad actress, kills dinosaurs, travels to the big city, kills people, and then is shot to death on the top of a skyscraper.  Crazy stuff's been around for awhile now.

As for the Jurassic poster and the narrative in that particular film, without seeing the movie, who's to say is beyond the border of the suspension of disbelief?  Perhaps Vraptors are shown to be of equal intelligence as humanity and they're working as allies not as tamed animals.

The plot can be as absurd as anything, but if that narrative is handled well by competent storytellers and allows the viewer to buy into it ...it's all viable.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

​A giant ape falls in love with a bad actress, kills dinosaurs, travels to the big city, kills people, and then is shot to death on the top of a skyscraper.  Crazy stuff's been around for a while

Hahahahahahah! Good stuff right there! :D

• Administrators

Crazy stuff's been around for awhile now.

​No! Really?

Talk about stating the obvious.

I believe mtheory's point is valid... Hollywood has run out of grounded stories to tell, so is not clutching at straws... throwing in the hero junk and the super power shit and hoping it sticks.

Yes, I'm stating the obvious as ironic rhetoric.

mtheory is not wrong, but I don't agree that what he's complaining about is new.

Hollywood has always been an industry full of bad ideas, spectacle, franchises, and trends.  

I don't think they're doing anything better or worse than they've always done, it just seems a bit different when you're passing through it because it's all more immediate.  We notice the stuff that otherwise gets curated by time.  The reason we tend to not remember that most of the movies throughout Hollywood history are nonsense crap is because the lousy movies are rightfully forgotten. 

I do agree that Hollywood is currently more aggressively pandering to kids (and adults that refuse to grow up) with merchandising franchises because that's where the safest money is at, but interesting movies with interesting ideas still do get made.  With any luck they're good enough to be remembered affectionately in the future.

Also, if you're going to fight intelligent genetically modified super dinosaurs with intelligent genetically modified super dinosaurs as your sidekicks, I think it's cool that it's done on a retro Triumph scrambler.  Points for style.

No, no, I don't mean fantastic plotlines like King Kong or time travel, I love em...my point is how HUMANS are increasingly handled in movies now...there is a tendency now to make every protagonist a superhero with superhero powers...even looking back at traditional larger-than-life characters like James Bond and Indiana Jones and even Rambo, they were exaggerated but ultimately they had human limits...

17888204-17888240-large.jpg

From a storytelling point of view...it's important for the element of danger to remain in the film for you to really be invested in the action...superhero films don't follow those rules...that is FINE, we expect Superman to fly....but why is Vin Diesel now able to defy the laws of gravity too with that final helicopter sequence? :D I'm just noticing that the superhero genre is creeping into the mainstream action genre, maybe it's due to the popularity of Avengers, but its kind of spoiling the experience for me personally. 

Your point would hold more weight if the original fast and furious wasn't an awful movie. At least the new ones have spectacle. Way more than I can say about the franchise before Fast 5

​The original Fast and Furious was basically a cop show about a guy infiltrating an illegal racing gang and bonding with them in the process, essentially a bad "Pointbreak" with cars, but at least it was a real movie about real people.

• Super Members

I was disappointed in the first since it had so little to do with street racing and the cars are so (IMO) "gimmicy". Canon ball Run remains my favorite illegal street race movie :)

BTW, speaking of drive themed drama, re watched "Drive" for the first time since the release yesterday.  Good stuff and great photo. 

​The original Fast and Furious was basically a cop show about a guy infiltrating an illegal racing gang and bonding with them in the process, essentially a bad "Pointbreak" with cars, but at least it was a real movie about real people.

​Agreed. I mean, take the runway scene in the previous one... I'm not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or cry it was so bad. Just... why?

I mean, I get it... take a Blade Runner. It's obviously not (meant to be) real according our understanding of what's real to us, but atleast it has rules applied to its own realm that aren't being broken. But just because something is a movie, doesn't mean I can throw away every rule that applies to reality, especially if the foundation is that it takes stage in ours. I'd rather like to being able to realate to it (yes, I just made that word up). So it's like you say, they started out in the real world, with real probable scenarios and now it's just some mumbo jumbo action with little regard to realism. Atleast The Avengers or Transformers created a world with a different set of rules and I do love me some dumb fast pacing and XPLOSIONZ!!1! movie once a while though.

Evidently we have different definitions of "a real movie about real people." Makes me think you haven't seen the first one in a while. 

Now your point is well taken about Jurassic world. What they've done to that franchise, which has a legitimately classic first movie, is an abomination.

Evidently we have different definitions of "a real movie about real people." Makes me think you haven't seen the first one in a while. 

Now your point is well taken about Jurassic world. What they've done to that franchise, which has a legitimately classic first movie, is an abomination.

​I meant this in a purely biological "they-follow-the-rules-of-physics" real people kind of way. Don't make me pull my arthouse creds to prove my realness, now.  ;)

Furious 7 was a fun all-action movie with a powerful ending in memory of Paul Walker. We met the cast and they were very cool and down to Earth, clearly grateful for what they have achievedThey've already done the 'keeping it real' versions... why not push the envelope into the realm of live action video games? It's different, and if too ridiculous, will adjust in future episodes. That's the great thing about movies- there are no limits! Don't like how someone else makes movies? You can make your own with your own vision!

​The script in that film was awful. Cinematography wasn't that great either. Just my opinion though.

​its a matter of taste many people didnt like it at all, i found it refreshing as political commentary on many levels, surely not a movie for everyone.Pynchons books are notoriously difficult and tangled. I just went with the ride, I think it was intended to be watched while stoned and with an open mind more like an experience and not a linear story.

as for the cinematography i loved the blue and red tones.. there is actually a term in cinematogrpahy lighting when you light someone red against a blue background, just like ciaroscuro and i have been trying to find what it is! anyone heard of it?

Stephen Windon the DP for most of the Furious stuff came and gave few Lectures at our Film School, which he attended back in the day actually. His Father was a legend Cameraman here in Sydney with the ABC. We saw all the behind the scenes setup for Furious stunts etc and I gotta say he's pretty good! He got an award for The Pacific, Band of Brothers thing, he got to choose and setup most of the shots the Director trusted him and thats why it looks so good, he's a real photography guy and has the eye, which not many have really, a few ppl will know what I mean. Most of the time he says a DP will march to the beat of the Directors drum so the visuals stand or fall on their Talent or lack thereof. Of all the Action movies out there, they are the ones who have been stretching the envelope and they are franchise who have made the most money! He's a very humble quiet guy, not what I expected, you can see why he has the loyalty of a few very sucessful Directors