Best Camera for Low Light for 1000€

rs3d

I'm shooting mainy low light situations on very low-budget like my art installations or projections. But after many years with my Canon 550D + Tamron 17-50, 2.8 I look for a new camera with an excellent 1080P mode and - that's the important part - very good, flexible low-light lens for around 1000€ together (bridge cam would be ok).

Sadly the Canon 760D video doesn't look much better and I had hopes that the LX100 would be a good companion, but it's too noisy in low light, so any recommendations would be very welcome. RX10 or FZ1000 low light footage wasn't too exciting as well, so please feel free to point me to something...

Thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, Nikon. But I would take the d5300 because it has better grain structure so it's more usable in low light. Along with a 50 and 35 1.8 and you have some left.

or as someone said...lights. art instalations should be lit properly anyway so.

@SleepyWill
Wouldn't make sense to use lights while a video projection (I meant art installations WITH projection, sorry), I really need to have on-site-light not changed...
And noise/sharpness of the Canon isn't really convincing in low-light anymore...

Regarding the Nikon D5300 - I remember Andrew liked this a lot, can you recommend a
Canon 2 Nikon Adapter so I can use/share my lenses?

It's really sad that the Canon 760D doesn't do video equal to the D5300, this would be perfect for me...

Thank you all!

• Administrators

1000 euro could buy you a second hand 5D Mark II. Pop Magic Lantern on it for raw and you have the best low light camera but it might not be the workflow you're used to, therefore the Nikon D5300 is a solid bet or the upcoming D5500. Also consider 70D with raw. It's pretty handy up to ISO 3200 and you can keep your Canon lens.

Honestly I think that the video looks great for what it is...I`m not sure why you would have to upgrade. But still, d5300 would be good for this kind of work, but you can`t use any of your canon lenses on it. you can use nikon lenses on a canon, but not the other way around.

Nikon prime lenses are good and affordable. 

Obviously the best option would be an A7s, I'd seriously suggest stretching to that if you can. 

Otherwise, go for a Sony A5100 (I got mine for a mere US$310 like new from Amazon some months back. Go for the A6000 though instead if overheating could be a serious concern you wish to avoid) plus a focal reducer (another hundred bucks) plus a Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 (which would be a few hundred dollars second hand). Won't be as good as an A7s of course, but is the next best thing on a budget!

A5100 is the A6000 but with XAVCs added in as a bonus, and at a cheaper price too!

http://www.eoshd.com/2014/04/surprise-sony-alpha-a6000-video-mode-huge-improvement/

And the A6000 is the D5200, but with a mirrorless mount and more features. Which allows you to double the light with use of a focal reducer!

http://www.eoshd.com/2013/02/nikon-d5200-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii/

Thank you for the recommendations! 5D II RAW looks great, but workflow doesn't... maybe ML will allows higher resolutions with the new Canon 760D. I'm waiting for final reviews on that one...

Sony A7S would be the dream, but not for the moment...

Overall I'm really pushing the limits of de-noising and with every Canon Rebel generation my hopes rise and fall... overall thanks again, I appreciate this blog and forum a lot!

Good topic i may be in need of a few great HD quality cameras.. but i will need very good live HDMI output for a 3 multi cam shooting set up for interviews.

Dose the D5300 have live video out and record inside the camera at the same time as a backup?

I have a lot of Nikon glass so Nikon would be the way i would go if i can. Or i wonder if i could pick up a Black Magic pocket now at a good used price dose that have live HDMI output?

Overall I'm really pushing the limits of de-noising and with every Canon Rebel generation my hopes rise and fall... overall thanks again, I appreciate this blog and forum a lot!

​I would not bother wasting another second waiting for Canon Rebel to be worthwhile, never really has been. And next to zero chance any of the next couple of models will be some amazing breakthrough. 

Cut your losses, and get yourself a Sony A5100 with a focal reducer (cost me US$410 in total for this combo), it will blow the socks off in low light and overall video performance compared to whatever Canon Rebel you're currently using :-)

Dose the D5300 have live video out and record inside the camera at the same time as a backup?​

Yes. Also, don't rule out getting an older D5200. Is what I'm often using, and it goes for very very cheap these days, even though it is a great camera:
http://www.eoshd.com/2013/02/nikon-d5200-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EANtxttUjIo 

i'd say a pre owned bmpcc and a pre owned speed booster.  if you can find a good deal on the 0.54x bmpcc speed booster that wouod be ideal, but the 0.64x bmcc unit is almost as good in terms of speed increase.

add to that a suitable fast 40mm or 50mm and you're good to go.  a cheap 50mm/1.4 from oly/nikkor/canon/pentax etc will be very very fast onto the pocket, and shooting 800iso (or even 1600) will provide very good low light performance.  

otherwise, you could maybe put the money towards a fast c mount lens or voigtlander 25mm instead of going the speed booster route.  you might get some noise from the bmpcc, but once you remove 'colour noise' in raw it looks real nice IMO.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

1000 euro could buy you a second hand 5D Mark II. Pop Magic Lantern on it for raw and you have the best low light camera but it might not be the workflow you're used to, therefore the Nikon D5300 is a solid bet or the upcoming D5500. Also consider 70D with raw. It's pretty handy up to ISO 3200 and you can keep your Canon lens.

​Andrew, could you please give us insight on how lowlight performane on the eos m3/canon new rebels sensor? Just see one 6400/12800shot compared to well known model like the 70d or d5300,I ask because From my very brief encounter it looked like a stop above all APS-C cameras in video mode, 

That would the best budget option especially since Canon makes 100$ 50mm F/1,8 and a 150$ 35mm f/2 and not much more for an 85mm f/1.8, all great performers

i'd say a pre owned bmpcc and a pre owned speed booster.  if you can find a good deal on the 0.54x bmpcc speed booster that wouod be ideal, but the 0.64x bmcc unit is almost as good in terms of speed increase.

add to that a suitable fast 40mm or 50mm and you're good to go.  a cheap 50mm/1.4 from oly/nikkor/canon/pentax etc will be very very fast onto the pocket, and shooting 800iso (or even 1600) will provide very good low light performance.  

otherwise, you could maybe put the money towards a fast c mount lens or voigtlander 25mm instead of going the speed booster route.  you might get some noise from the bmpcc, but once you remove 'colour noise' in raw it looks real nice IMO.

​For me i all ready have the Nikon  50mm, 24mm, two versions of the 35mm, 24-120mm, 70-300mm, 17-55mm, a old 28-200 and a Tokina 100-300mm F4. Had many others i sold over the years.

​One thing I will say about the BMPCC is I get a few hot pixels at ISO 1600 even with a speed booster.  Depending on how things are lit though you can get away with a speedbooster and a 50mm 1.4.  I haven't tested it out but if you are shooting in cool weather and not shooting too long I think the hot pixel thing isn't as big of a problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

rs3d, if you're still looking, the best lowlight video performers under 1000$ are the Nikon D5500 and the Canon 750/760D. From my brief testing they seem identical but wait for a more scientific high ISO test. Anyhow if there's a difference it's not huge between them, they're as good as lowlight gets (better than a6000, gh3/gh4, g6,bm, etc). 

I have one question: are those addition 4MP  responsible for the bad low light performance of the NX1? I mean the NX1 is basically unusable above 1600 and these 24MP new cameras perform very well at 12800!, how is it possible?