Best Camera for Low Light for 1000€

rs3d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
26 minutes ago, Cassius McGowan said:

Thanks for the info man.

Do you think I should sale my gh4 and get 3 G7's?

I own a GH4, after Andy's advice I've bought a G7 and in 4K is really better! Of course the 50p of GH4 has some more informations, but G7 is a really great camera, really better in low light.

48 minutes ago, JazzBox said:

I own a GH4, after Andy's advice I've bought a G7 and in 4K is really better! Of course the 50p of GH4 has some more informations, but G7 is a really great camera, really better in low light.

I have a Gh3 and Gh4. Was really thinking of offloading everything for 3 G7's. Hearing a lot of good things on the lowlight and picture quality on the camera.

The rolling shutter on the GH4 seems to be alot better in 4k than the G7 according to some reports - http://www.funtechtalk.com/rolling-shutter-test-video-panasonic-lumix-dmc-g7-vs-gh4-camera/ - has anyone seen a number for the G7? 

This list has been my main resource looking up rolling shutter times http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?303559-Measuring-rolling-shutter-put-a-number-on-this-issue!

3 hours ago, Cassius McGowan said:

Already talk to him last week and he's waiting on some more to come in.

There are some contradicting reports on the 'hack' that puts PAL systems into NTSC system default with 30p and 60p modes as well as no region 30m limit. That might work...

I also mentioned a site of which I'm not sure, eglobalcentral, that sells imported cameras in the GX85/80 thread. But mainly the site of which I know people have good experiences with... they don't have the GX85, but they do have the G7: http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=192&sl=en&currency=USD . Just be aware that depending on the country you need to ship it to, you might have to keep in mind the import charges/custom duties that apply (One Stop Digital policy: 'VAT Free guarantee only applies to orders shipped to Australia, Canada, France, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States').

I guess this weekend I'll figure out the 'hack' and try it on my GX80 and G7, see what's the deal, what works and what does not.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been testing the a6300 in low-light a bit but I found the 100MBit XAVC-S codec looks quite mushy in high ISO (like 1600 and above) even though the noise itself looks ok-ish. Sadly the bitrate is limited, did any of you find a good way to handle low-light with that camera? 

Unluckily the Zeiss 16-70 is only F4 so there is not much I can do lens-wise - I really miss my Tamron 17-50 F2.8 from my Canon Rebel :-(

Thinking about sending back the Sony but I have not found a good alternative for low-light camera + 10-18mm F2.8 + 16-50/70mm F2.8 lens for under 3000$... 

For under $3000 you should now be able to get a used A7s and the beauty of that is you don't need a 2.8 zoom.     Depth of field of a 2.8 zoom with micro four thirds is the same as f4 for APSC and 5.6 for FF.      The A7s can easily deal with much higher ISOs and slower lenses (for a similar look).

I would suggest at least trying/renting borrowing an A7s and any lens and see.

Rs3d, did you run your tests in 4k or FullHD? I have heard that the fullhd files of the a6300 are not that great and that the camera really shines only in 4k. Since you already have the camera maybe its worth shooting some lowlight tests in 4k and transcoding it down to fullhd to see what you get. I don't own one so can't confirm or deny it.

On 9/4/2016 at 4:57 AM, rs3d said:

I have not found a good alternative for low-light camera + 10-18mm F2.8 + 16-50/70mm F2.8 lens for under 3000$... 

You could always just use EF-mount lenses, like the Tokina 11-16 f2.8, and whatever 16-50mm type zoom you like (Tamron, Sigma, Canon 17-55). A $100 Commlite or even the Metabones would easily be inside your budget.