Best Camera for Low Light for 1000€

rs3d

@IronFilm
What focal reducer you would recommend with the Sony A5100?

As I still need to make photos a BMPCC isn't the best option...

I went  with the Roxsen focal reducer (they're a reseller/distributor for RJ I believe), because I need to use my Nikon G series lenses on it. But I'd also recommend the Mitakon focal reducer too. 

• 1 year later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, rs3d said:

It's been a while and I wonder what 1000€ camera you would recommend NOW for mainly low-light work?

I'm interested in the Sony Alpha 6300, but I'm not sure about the native lenses...

Yes I'd recommend the Sony A6300

But... if longer record times matter then get Nikon D5500 or Panasonic G7 

If yiu can bump up budget by 50% then you could look at a secondhand D750 or a7S that is fantastic in lowlight 

The recording length times for the A6300 just hugely improved:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-releases-new-firmware-update-a6300-fixes-overheating-issue/

13 minutes ago, rs3d said:

but too bad that the 16-70 lens is only F4...

Get the 18-105mm f4 lens instead, is a crazy huge range, nothing else like that! With OIS is a great run and gun lens too. My favourite on the A5100/FS7

And F4 is quite ok, I was shooting today my Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 & 50-150mm f2.8 (on my Nikon D5200) at f4 for most of the day.

@IronFilm

I was also thinking about the 18-105 F4 lens, but since I also want to take photos at night the Zeiss seems to be sharper and with less chromatic abberation (depending on the batch, there seems to be a quality diversity)... I looked at a good number of review, but a usual this doesn't help to decide ;-)

Meh, we're only shooting 2MP pics (i.e. 1080P) at 1/50 shutter speed, with a lens for run and gun, so I wouldn't go over the top in looking at fine details of quality. I'd rather be practical and take the greater reach and lower cost of the 18-105 instead!

1 hour ago, bunk said:

There are a lot of macroblocks, both in top and to a lesser degree in the middle picture. How are you going to hide them or are they just not visible enough.

all the footage I shot for the movie is owned by the film production company , they have released some low res saved for web images to me so I can share them on EOSHD . Film companies dont relase any hi res stuff until after the film is released  ,

So look at the lighting grade composition low light levels etc etc but remember these are lo res saved for web pictures you are seeing not UHD 4K uncompressed frame grabs. there is no micoblocking on the actual footage I shot .

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

What ISO has this been shot at? 

I shot most of the movie at 800 iso f2.5 I lit the sets for that stop and ISO , I did shoot some scenes at 640 and 400 maybe 20% of the movie but most was at 800 iso

the G7 is very clean and usable at 800iso       PS the entire film is shot at night there are no daylight scenes in the movie

1 hour ago, andy lee said:

I shot most of the movie at 800 iso f2.5 I lit the sets for that stop and ISO , I did shoot some scenes at 640 and 400 maybe 20% of the movie but most was at 800 iso

the G7 is very clean and usable at 800iso       PS the entire film is shot at night there are no daylight scenes in the movie

Thanks. Interesting. At ISO 800 it must have been a lot cleaner than a GH4. 

5 hours ago, andy lee said:

Film companies dont relase any hi res stuff until after the film is released  [snip] 

there is no micoblocking on the actual footage I shot .

Aha, I see. Looking forward to the original footage once it's released.