200Mbps All-i or 100Mbps for 60p conformed to 24?

Peter Rzazewski

Between the 100Mbps and 200Mbps 60p modes, do you think that the 200Mbps is significantly better than the 100Mbps? I notice that it uses significantly more space on the card which, for me mean, a bigger headache in post. Others have said that the 200Mbps ALL-i actually fluctuates between high and very low. Is the 100Mbps safer to get a consistent quality in 60p (for the purposes of conforming to 24p to make slow motion)?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

High bitrate ALL-I can be useful for fast motion shots. Otherwise, most people don't see any difference vs. lower bitrate IPB. You can see for yourself by doing a few test shots and examining the footage at 100-400% in your NLE.

All-I gives you more accurate motion, at the cost of larger files and a small hit to detail. I use it for shots with a ton of fast dynamic motion. 

IPB gives you smaller files, and more detail, provided that not too many things in the frame are moving/changing too quickly.

Examples of when I would use each:

-fast pan/tilt/etc with lots of background detail moving through the frame- All-I.

-slower move or locked-off shot, with background detail moving slowly or not at all- IPB.

What we need is a more efficient implementation of IPB: one that switches to ALL-I when then encoder can't hit performance targets for IPB (large motion vectors, etc.). This would allow ALL-I spiking to well over 200Mbps (up to the limit of the hardware write speed). Manually switching between ALL-I and IPB shouldn't be required: computers are supposed to make things easier :)

If anyone can show me video to clearly prove this I would agree, unfortunately no one will as you simply cannot tell.... If this is for the GH4 your best bet is recording Pro Res to an external recorder, but even still it's very hard to tell with that camera. Honestly not a fan at all of the GH4...... Average dynamic range, poor in low light and the best thing about it is 4k resolution.....

• 1 month later...