Cheap Full Frame camera?

dhessel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

used a7 could be under $1000 too, or could speedboost a used lower end sony nex for cheaper. the lower end mft panasonics would be a similar price and almost full frame with a speedbooster. not sure you'd want to skimp on the sb though, so not saving you tons and limiting your lenses a bit, needing that hunk of glass to fit between

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Canon 6D new

Canon 5D mk II used (6D is a better stills camera, newer sensor) 

Nikon D800 used (extreme stills resolution) 

New Sony A7 or used A7r, (small and mirroless but need expensive lenses for stills AF) 

, I'd get a used D800 just because I love the images resolution and colours, gorgeous, but if I found a cheap 6D new, it'd be also a great option and you know, new, with insane lowlight performance. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

By the way all of these cameras are not great for video (show aliasing and not very sharp) but these are the budget FF options. If you want great video too, the price goes UP! First one is Nikon D750, great stills + video + cheap lenses, Sony A7s, great stills and video but expensive lenses for stills, and over those are the D810 and 5D mk III. 

In short, getting great video on a FF + great stills, lowest options are around 2500$ just stills and fine (not great video), you can for 1000$ options. 

A7 can be found cheap enough.    You can use lots of different mount lenses including old cheap manual focus ones with simple "dumb" adapters.

While video is not what most users on this forum would like it is quite good for amateur use and even up to an ISO like 12800.

The camera also has all the right video "tools" like peaking, zebras, tilting LCD, mic and headphones jacks.     it can do 50/60p at full hd.

I am not sure if there are two versions of it though (world camera  that does both PAL/NTSC frame rates and NTSC only like there is with the A7s).

I use my A7 for stills as my daytime camera and previously for video until I got the A7s.

You can also use the cheap Sony live view grading app with the Sony cameras.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want really cheap and don't mind manual focus, I'd take the same route as dhessel.

I don't agree with full frame lenses being (more) expensive. Personally I love full frame for photography because of the shallow dof with normal/wide lenses. A 35mm f/2 is pretty cheap. To get the same dof and field of view on aps-c you would need to buy an expensive 24mm f/1.4. 

i think i'd go for a nex /alpha aps-c camera equipped with an evf in the body and camdiox or similar focal reducer.  and a set of olympus/nikon/canon/pentax manual focus lenses.  35mm/2, 50mm/1.4 and a 85mm/2 .  the evf will make for a really enjoyable still photography shooting style with the old lenses.  the focal reducer will give a similar look to full frame.  unless going for the a7s, the video performance of the a7 and a7r are not much better than the nex5n!  

Personally I feel it might be worth getting a a7s and be done with it.  once you have one, your need for another camera soon disappear.  Unless you have the budget to also invest in some L lenses to take adtantage of a canon dslr for stills (in respect to their af capability) looking at a canon camera for stills and video is madness when the A7s is a better camera in ALL other respects.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I like the A7 as a budget Fullframe for video. You can find them used for less than a $1K here and with lenses ranging from $10-50 its hard to beat.

I reviewed mine

​Thanks! Lots of great footage in there too.