4K editing on Apple Laptop computer -??

lafilm

Can anyone (Andrew) who has the knowledge answer this question:

(Sony A7s w/Shogun users/  Canon 1D C users)

Is this set up below good (enough) for 4K editing?  Say off the Shogun or  straight from CF?

Basically if you're going straight from 1D C MJPEG 4K - or off  A7S Shogun whether transcoding to ProRes or not.

2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 - Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz

16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM

1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

Thank you.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

With these specs, no problem, neither with XAVC nor with ProRes 4k. New FCP X swallows FS7-stuff - XAVC-S & XAVC-I -  without need for Sony Catalyst. Runs smooth like DV. Raw 4k probably would be too much ...

A7S Shogun with ProRes 4K- no problem. 1DC without transcoding- not likely. Testing 1DC MJPEG files on a fast 12-Core MacPro with a GTX770 wasn't real-time very often in Premiere CC. It doesn't look like the MJPEG pipeline is very optimized- transcoding to ProRes (or even high-bitrate H.264) 4K may be helpful.

A7S Shogun with ProRes 4K- no problem. 1DC without transcoding- not likely. Testing 1DC MJPEG files on a fast 12-Core MacPro with a GTX770 wasn't real-time very often in Premiere CC. It doesn't look like the MJPEG pipeline is very optimized- transcoding to ProRes (or even high-bitrate H.264) 4K may be helpful.

​Man transcoding is such a pain..ahhh. Thanks guys for all your input. 

Shame Apple cannot get more power on a laptop in 2015.

Hey lafilm- it's more about Canon's choice of the ancient MJPEG codec for the 1DC: modern NLEs apparently haven't optimized or GPU accelerated MJPEG decoding. 10-bit 422 H.264 ALL-I is higher quality and more efficient (and more complex too), but runs much faster due to recent CPU & GPU optimizations. Canon's new XF AVC sounds pretty much the same as Sony's XAVC (10-bit 422 H.264, IPB and ALL-I); wouldn't be surprised if they licensed the code from the same software vendor. I would expect Canon to use XF AVC in any new 4K DSLR they release.

I'm working on a fast & easy to use transcode app (Photon) for Windows. Just made tweaks for 1DC MJPEG conversion to ProRes. With a modern multicore machine, it can transcode faster than real-time (multiple clips at once, 35.8fps):

PhotonMJPEG.thumb.jpg.4818c3887d0aa1682f

I prefer desktops (customized hack mac water cooled oc'ed), really fast and pretty quiet unlike whiny lappies, I can often rendering and play game (like borderland 2) at same time

sorry don't have 1dc so no idea how it will perform, but it handle RED 4K RAW pretty well.

1271159_10201887807036146_1032160582641359588_o.jpg

On a budget editing pc with the new Haswell-e i7 5820 (small oc) with 16gb ddr4 and a lowly 2gb vram gtx 760 I can get realtime playback of 4k MJPEG from the 1dc in ppro  (but not by wmp or qt player oddly enough)  Straight off a CF won't work but when I transfer the files from my CF to my working drive it plays fine. I installed an Areca pcie raid controller with 2 480gb sandisk ssds in raid 0 for a working media drive, another 2 raided ssd's for a scratch drive, a 120gb drive for the OS and software, another drive for renders, and then another 10gb of external storage for backups.  So, fast throughput made a budget editing pc workable for 4k MJPEG (plays other 4k material with zero problem), and I would assume the same would be true on a Mac, but ?