Sigma 18-35 Nikon version on Canon EF

Jonesy Jones

I'm looking to use the Nikon version of the Sigma 18-35 on a Canon mount camera. Anyone tried that? What were your experiences? Is it too big of a hassle? Any experiences with the following or similar adapters?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/724050-REG/Novoflex_EOSNIK_NT_EOS_NIK_NT_Lens_Adapter_for.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=995261&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6tepBRDLqLnxouaY_pkBEiQAPIOiBuQPPviNGidWVabw6sQUZQVUOaDVKZSxmBCsgREas48aAj_m8P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Everybody is using Nikon lenses on Canon cameras. It definitely works, especially in a case of manual lens with no IS. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Oh you need aperture control and the sigma doesn't have a ring? Does the nikon version have a G linkage like modern Nikorrs to change iris so an adapter with G support would work? I would assume so.

Anybody else with knowledge on this.

Oh you need aperture control and the sigma doesn't have a ring? Does the nikon version have a G linkage like modern Nikorrs to change iris so an adapter with G support would work? I would assume so.

Anybody else with knowledge on this.

​I don't know what G linkage is, but it is a very modern lens. Are there adapters that allow you to change the iris electronically?

This is the awesome thing about Nikon F mount lenses, they don't need *any* electronics for controlling aperture! :-) Just uses a simple mechanical lever. 

Thus their adapters are waaaaay cheaper and waaaay more reliable than the ones for Canon EF. 

This is the awesome thing about Nikon F mount lenses, they don't need *any* electronics for controlling aperture! :-) Just uses a simple mechanical lever. 

Thus their adapters are waaaaay cheaper and waaaay more reliable than the ones for Canon EF. 

​For now - there are lenses that have dispensed with the aperture. So far they've mostly been exotics (the PC lenses, the 800/5.6), but the 300/4 PF is a more mainstream lens that has removed it.

What on earth are you on about? None of these lenses have "dispensed with the aperture", that doesn't make sense. Of course they have an aperture, even fixed aperture lenses such as the Olympus 15mm body cap lens have an aperture (f/8 in this case). 

But it sounds like you're just referring to typical Nikon G series lenses, which is what I was addressing in what you quoted from me. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Iron man, it's obvious he meant dispesed with the aperture lever which you reffered to in the earlier post as being a great feature of all Nikon lenses, he's just pointing out that there are new Nikon lenses that dispensed the mechanical lever and control iris electronically, which is a good point to be made in the thread. To OP, try or ask someone who actually tried that specific combo. But it WILL probably work with the Nikon to Canon EF to Nikon F adapter that supports G lenses. Probably.

I'm looking to use the Nikon version of the Sigma 18-35 on a Canon mount camera. Anyone tried that? What were your experiences? Is it too big of a hassle? Any experiences with the following or similar adapters?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/724050-REG/Novoflex_EOSNIK_NT_EOS_NIK_NT_Lens_Adapter_for.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=995261&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6tepBRDLqLnxouaY_pkBEiQAPIOiBuQPPviNGidWVabw6sQUZQVUOaDVKZSxmBCsgREas48aAj_m8P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

​These adapters should work, and they both control the aperture of the Nikon G type lenses.

You cannot go wrong with Novoflex, made in Germany with very high precision, very high quality materials.

Fotodiox should be ok, if you can buy it and try it with the option of returning it then why not.

But my experience with various low cost adapers is not so good, the problem is with the lenses not reaching infinity or going past infinity, they are usualy too thick or too thin (fraction of a milimeter counts here) and in my experience wide focal lenght lenses require even more high quality precise adapters.

When I shot Canon for video, I just got cheap adapters and Canon rear caps for all my Nikkors. Before a video day, I'd stick the adapters on beforehand - they're fiddly things to get on and off and it sped up things on set. My first was a Fotodiox, like 70 bucks, very good adapter. I later got several cheap $20 ebay chinese adapters and they all worked fine, but did seem cheaper. Sold them all with my Canons around the Nikon D7000 era. (All my glass has aperture rings though, don't know if adapters with aperture control are going to be more fiddly).

​These adapters should work, and they both control the aperture of the Nikon G type lenses.

You cannot go wrong with Novoflex, made in Germany with very high precision, very high quality materials.

Fotodiox should be ok, if you can buy it and try it with the option of returning it then why not.

But my experience with various low cost adapers is not so good, the problem is with the lenses not reaching infinity or going past infinity, they are usualy too thick or too thin (fraction of a milimeter counts here) and in my experience wide focal lenght lenses require even more high quality precise adapters.

​After doing some research I'm quite certain they will work. My concern, is it worth the trouble? 

I'm planning on buying the URSA mini, EF mount. Currently I have the BMPCC and an A6000. I don't have the Sigma 18-35 yet, but I would prefer the Nikon version as it works on other cameras so easily. However I'd need to buy an expensive Metabones to get a Canon mount Sigma on my other cameras. I wish the URSA mini just had a Nikon version. That would solve all my problems. 

Sage wisdom please. :)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes if you get the Canon version, you'll need electronic adapters to change iris, which means more expensive adapters in general from you M43 and E mount (super expensive), but the Nikon mount version has a mechanical lever to change iris so adapters from M43 and E mount and EF are MUCH cheaper, no electronics needed. So that's the cheap way to go. But remember I advice having at least one Canon IS lens, just a no brainer, so you can get that one in ef mount and just use it on the ursa, and in the future you lose the possibility for IS on your m43 and E mount unless you go the expensive Canon adapters options. Anyhow the solution for thia is just get one IS EF lens in the bag, If you don't have an IS lens, get something like a cheap 18-135mm IS STM on the side, with the relatively heavy ursa and the great IS I imagine getting extremely nice handheld shots on this combo from wides to close ups. 

What on earth are you on about? None of these lenses have "dispensed with the aperture", that doesn't make sense. Of course they have an aperture, even fixed aperture lenses such as the Olympus 15mm body cap lens have an aperture (f/8 in this case). 

But it sounds like you're just referring to typical Nikon G series lenses, which is what I was addressing in what you quoted from me. 

​Yes, I'm an idiot. Dispensed with the aperture LEVER is what I wanted to say. The 300/4 PF having it is a bit of a nasty surprise for those looking to adapt, since it's going to be a popular lens.

Ok, back to the OP: The difference between EF and F is about a few mm, so the adapter must be absolutely precise. At 18mm a small error will produce issues. Normally when it comes to adapting I prefer to go with longer glass just to be safe, and use native for shorter lengths.