Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 on FF Sensor

Simon Shasha

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out before, but last night I was messing around with my Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 on my Sony A7S. Once attached to the A7S, I reminded myself that I was going to have to switch it to APS-C mode. However, to my surprise, the lens wasn't vignetting, even though the A7S was still in full-frame mode. Eventually, it did vignette, but not until around 24mm. I concluded that between 26-35mm, this lens is absolutely fine for full-frame sensor use. You can even get away with 24mm, which produces a very slight vignette (if you letterbox your footage, it would hide the vignette at 24mm).

Anyway, just thought I'd point it out.

Enjoy!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Good to hear! Good for you as well :)

I use the Sigma 18-35mm on the GH3 with the Speed Booster and I'm still amazed at the results after every shoot. When shooting a medium close from someone with this beast at 35mm, there is almost an 'anamorphic like' distortion / perspective thing going on. It's by far the most beautiful lens I have ever used. If it only it was a 17-50mm it would literally never come of my camera.

I agree, it's a damn beautiful lens,especially at 35mm. 

And, over time, I've grown fond of the size and weight of it. I used to hate it at first (I have never liked zoom lenses in general, with the exception of the Canon 70-200mm F2.8L II), especially coming from a strict "prime-lens only" mindset/background. But the Sigma 18-35 just keeps on proving itself, time and again.

This lens is literally attached all the time to my GH4. Absolutely beautiful lens. I've never noticed much vignetting on it when on my GH4 or my previous 7D. I'll have to test on a friends 5D MK3 at the weekend and see at what point it starts vignetting on that.

Because of this lens alone, I'd probably always have aps-c mode on for the a7s.  But from what I understand, the image is softer from full frame mode, because crop mode readout is actually upscaled 2.7k...right?  2.7k-ish readout with insanely sharp sigma 18-35...is that defeating the purpose or no?

Because of this lens alone, I'd probably always have aps-c mode on for the a7s.  But from what I understand, the image is softer from full frame mode, because crop mode readout is actually upscaled 2.7k...right?  2.7k-ish readout with insanely sharp sigma 18-35...is that defeating the purpose or no?

​if it's 1080p in-camera, both modes are downscaled from a higher resolution readout, so they'd be pretty similar. I actually heard the crop mode may be slightly sharper..(?) but they're comparable. In 4k there's a difference

Anyone know, by chance, how this lens compares with Zeiss primes?

I need some wider Zeiss primes, but 18 3.5 and 21 2.8 won't cut it

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sigma-18-35mm-F18-DC-HSM-A-Canon-versus-Carl-Zeiss-Distagon-T-21mm-f-2.8-ZE-Canon___1141_0_326_0

- idk exactly how accurate that is

but eoshd compared it to voigtlander primes - impressive glass, but the sigma outperformed it http://www.eoshd.com/2013/10/ultimate-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-lens-sigma-18-35mm-f1-8-speed-booster/ 

and it beats nikkor primes according to The Camera Store https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQHi8L0athY 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Not really what I saw at all Policar, especially at 35mm.  It looks just like any other 35mm fullframe lens, and is sharp to the corners, even at 1.8. Is there a little viggenette when shooting a plain sky? Ues just like any other FF lens too, plus it's easily fixable in post.

Take it down, 28mm the fallout starts to get a bit stronger, maybe be objectionable by some one who really doesn't want it, but to most it's completely fine. 

The lens circles covers the full fullframe sensor from 26mm. And it really ia something speciall that when you upgrade to FF you still have a great 35mm f1.8 prime.

Tried using it at 35mm on my Mark III but found the fall-off unusable unless you want a strong "vignette" effect combined with a "bad edges" effect.

Completely unusable at any focal length on FF. Stop kidding yourself.

​Well, that's odd. Mine is fine between 26-35mm...