Panasonic GH4 firmware update V2.2 due to be released April 22nd

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

every update bringing new features is a good update, but i clearly dont agree with Panasonics aproach here. Anamorphic recording on a device like the GH4 is still such a niche kind of feature. i dont think more than 2% of all gh4 owners will actually use it. plus, the implementation is rather poorly without a destretched live preview. and lets not forget, anamorphic recording was possible before and just meant some adjustments on the computer.

so why not work on something that a majority of people actually need, like putting more pressure and time into V-Log. with the history and knowledge of Panasonic they could have delivered this months ago. What about punching in while recording? or a 21:9 4,5k recording? that features less data than the photo mode 4:3 4k recording and would make so many people happy. why not also deliver a regular 3k recording that covers the entire sensor and doesnt push the crop further like 4k mode? the gh4 is a beast of a camera but there are still so many things they could work on...

on a different topic: does anybody have a good article about the physics of anamorphic recording? everybody always talks about the "awesome look" thats not so generic, but i would like some actual technical explanation of the matter. why it actually looks to different and where the horizontal flaring comes from. thanks :)

Arri's 4:3 is 2880x2160. 

​What I meant was how much more it crops on GH4 vs Arri. Through google I found that Arri sensor size at 4:3 is 23.76 x 17.82 mm. GH4 sensor size is 17.3 x 13.0 mm at full res 4608 x 3456, but in 4k 4:3 mode at 3328 x 2496 it equates to about 12.5 x 9.4 mm sensor recording area. Thats almost a 2x crop compared to Arri. I try to keep in mind that a GH4 costs $1500 brand new whereas an Arri Alexa costs around that for a 1-2 day rental.

You’ve been hearing that you can get an extra stop or 2 of dynamic range with the new V Log L color profile on the GH4. That may be true. However, my source says that they are holding back. The broadcast division of Panasonic is forcing them to dial it back. Apparently you would get 2 more stops of dynamic range out of the V Log if it weren’t a V Log L (lite). But the broadcast division is forcing the LUMIX divisions hand to tone down the V Log to a Lite version.     Also this source tells me that they will be charging $100 for the firmware update.

~ http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-will-panasonic-let-you-charge-100-for-the-gh4-v-log-lite-firmware-upgrade/

lol

if V-Log L is "crippled" and doesn't substantially increase dynamic range by two stops, then i don't think it's worth paying for the upgrade. hopefully this proves untrue.

​I have a feeling that rumor will be proven untrue.  It just doesn't make sense with so much competition out there in this segment. 

this doesnt sound like something that panasonic would do. i hope. however the wording sounds very solid and not like "the gh5 will have ibis!!1 yolo" -trash rumors.

i would most definitely switch system if its a paid update. even if its just a few bucks. the competition is extremely high these days, with lots of other companies to switch to. Panasonic has never been "great" about firmware updates (not terrible either) and going this route would make me sell my gh4 immediately and get a NX1. (im on the edge anyway) this kind of marketing and selling scheme disgusts me. Panasonic said themselves that the feedback and sales on the gh4 are way better than expected. why not give a little bit back to the users, as an action of good faith? that way theyd be building trust for future cameras, which is something the need badly. lets face it, we all know that the NX2 will be better than the GH5, so trust, believe and good faith is something they should be aiming at. i have trouble understanding, why so many companies dont get that.

but until its official ill be leaning back and sipping ice tea :)

"With this update the Panasonic GH4 will have more vertical resolution than the Arri Alexa Studio for anamorphic."

But unlike the Alexa the GH4 has a rather limited DR and a video-like look, anamorphic or not...

​But unlike the (beautiful) Alexa, it costs less then 1500 €.... and you can take it everywhere: with a couple of cheap batteries you can shoot for hours and hours.
If you use it in a proper way you can achieve a very cinematic look... take a look here: http://www.eoshd.com/eoshd-panasonic-gh4-shooters-guide/

and here: http://vimeo.com/107747711

​But unlike the (beautiful) Alexa, it costs less then 1500 €.... and you can take it everywhere: with a couple of cheap batteries you can shoot for hours and hours.If you use it in a proper way you can achieve a very cinematic look... take a look here: http://www.eoshd.com/eoshd-panasonic-gh4-shooters-guide/

and here: http://vimeo.com/107747711

What's cinematic is subjective. The videos you linked perfectly show the shortcomings of the GH4. It produces an okay image if one does not encounter any high contrast or low light situations or scenes with a lot of detail that forces the high compression codec past its limits. But I must admit that I don't get the fascination with an anamorphic image. I am more fascinated by preserved highlights and absence of compression artefacts. It's a matter of personal taste.

"With this update the Panasonic GH4 will have more vertical resolution than the Arri Alexa Studio for anamorphic."

But unlike the Alexa the GH4 has a rather limited DR and a video-like look, anamorphic or not...

​In the proper hands telling the right story, either one could make a Billion Dollar Award Winning Film, or a Billion Dollar Loser.      The rest is just specs and camera nerd talk.   :)

What's cinematic is subjective. The videos you linked perfectly show the shortcomings of the GH4. It produces an okay image if one does not encounter any high contrast or low light situations or scenes with a lot of detail that forces the high compression codec past its limits. But I must admit that I don't get the fascination with an anamorphic image. I am more fascinated by preserved highlights and absence of compression artefacts. It's a matter of personal taste.

​We are talking about a sub-1500 € camera that does what just some years ago would do a 25.000$ camera.
If you find it just "ok" what do you think about the (also amazing for their price) Canon EOS? ;)
Everything is subjective, especially if we talk about art, cameras, guitars, microphones, preamps, tubes-vs-solid-state etc... but "ok" for me is the mighty EOS 550 or the iPhone. The GH4 is (in my opinion) something more then ok, at least for what you can do with (slow motion, 4K etc...) :D

​We are talking about a sub-1500 € camera that does what just some years ago would do a 25.000$ camera.If you find it just "ok" what do you think about the (also amazing for their price) Canon EOS? ;)
Everything is subjective, especially if we talk about art, cameras, guitars, microphones, preamps, tubes-vs-solid-state etc... but "ok" for me is the mighty EOS 550 or the iPhone. The GH4 is (in my opinion) something more then ok, at least for what you can do with (slow motion, 4K etc...) :D

​My original intention was to point out that touting the GH4 is besting the Alexa in vertical resolution is a bit silly. As if vertical resolution would make it a better camera. But that's the usual EOSHD style of exaggeration. Besides that, no doubt that one can produce great work with the GH4. The camera has a lot of impressive specs, just the image itself has its limitations. Two steps up on the price scale the FS7 is a rather similar package of many features and a so so image. I have used the GH4 for some projects and switched to a BMCC and Pocket, trading specs for image. I still wish I could get the GH4 specs with a BMCC image. ;)

I've had GH2,3 and now 4 but don't use Panasonic lenses for video. I think the glass is at least (maybe more?) important than the sensor. Andy Lee gave so many great tips for very cinematic lenses - especially for Panasonic cameras. I am looking forward for the update btw. and think Panasonic are doing a great job :)