LG Digital Cinema Display Review - 4096 x 2160 IPS impresses!

Andrew Reid

I'm incredibly excited for the dawn of affordable OLED, even if they don't render motion as well as plasma. Perfect viewing angles, perfect uniformity, perfect blacks, excellent color accuracy. :)

Would love a OLED monitor myself, but I think a 40" 4K OLED monitor is just going to be out of my reach. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Take a look at the "Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5"!

It's OLED display has a resolution of 2560x1600 with 60Hz progressiv, youtube 1440p@60p looks great!

http://www.displaymate.com/OLED_Tablet_ShootOut_1.htm

Cost only 500 € with BT-Keyboard, better display, fast pivot, tablet-mode, lighter and cheaper than the new Macbook for 1500€.

Since I have that thing, my dekskop only works as print server.

Can't wait until Samsung publish a 4K OLED version of the "Note" series with 12 Inch with a s-pen, damn build it Samsung, need 4k netflix! :D 

Does the colour match your macbook screen?

I find it a complete bitch to match colours with apple and non apple screens. I have an LG with Adobe software and the calibration never, ever matches.

​That's the point of calibration. Most new monitors are maybe 2-3% off, with calibration you bring them all within 0.X% where you don't see nearly any difference. I have a Macbook Pro Retina and an old Dell and they nearly match!

Take a look at the "Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5"!

It's OLED display has a resolution of 2560x1600 with 60Hz progressiv, youtube 1440p@60p looks great!

http://www.displaymate.com/OLED_Tablet_ShootOut_1.htm

Cost only 500 € with BT-Keyboard, better display, fast pivot, tablet-mode, lighter and cheaper than the new Macbook for 1500€.

Since I have that thing, my dekskop only works as print server.

Can't wait until Samsung publish a 4K OLED version of the "Note" series with 12 Inch with a s-pen, damn build it Samsung, need 4k netflix! :D 

​Actually that is seriously tempting. I also want to upgrade to the Note 4 because Display Mate  claims it covers most of the AdobeRGB spectrum. And I love looking at deep blacks.

Thanks Andrew for the LG Cinema Display review. The backlight and lightbleeds at the bottom put me off too though :\

• Administrators

​i find it funny to hear you call Eizo monitors a rip off and yet spend $620 on a EF->E-Adapter.

​What a moronic comment.

What's the alternative - spend $10,000 replacing my Canon EF glass with Sony E-Mount, with most of them inferior or not even existing!?

Still undecided.

Car you calibrate the colors on the LG 4K for photo editing i do a lot of photo editing and i am a freak for getting the colors right and the shades of black and shadows. Would love the have the space of the LG as i also create a lot of websites and that would be great for that.

How long is the LG guarantee ?  Do you think it will last for years with out problems? I have been using my NEC for over 6 years now.

@DigitalED 

If you want to be sure that your screen will run for 5 years, I would take a look at EIZO.

Their warranty is 5 years or 30.000h (Germany).

In my case a corner getting a little bit dark, the size of a thumbnail. I called EIZO and next day I got a brand new monitor, that was nice!

There is maybe a bit uncertainty if 5K iMac system is really sendig real 5K resolution and playing your 4K footage in full 4K and not cheating somehow for whatever reason.

Also you cant get cant get full 5K resolution also with Windows on iMac. Ignore the gaming reference in the title

• 10 months later...

I'm curious about the LG 31MU97-B. Here's something straight off Amazon.

No need for monitoring speakers

With two internal 5W speakers and the MAXXAUDIO functions,

there is no need for separate high-end monitoring speakers. The 31MU97 which supports MAXXAUDIO delivers high quality sound with a wide range of vibrant, crisp, and clean high and low sounds while reviewing or editing 4K contents.

Have any of you using the monitor found its internal sound to be neutral enough? 

On 15. travnja 2015. at 11:47 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Eizo = rip off.

The build of the consumer LGs is indeed flakey, or appears so on the surface.

This one is different. The 4K DCI build is miles better. MILES.

What makes Eizo a rip off?