LG Digital Cinema Display Review - 4096 x 2160 IPS impresses!

Andrew Reid

The Eizo CG318-4K has similar specs to the LG, costs 4000 GBP. I'm sure the EIZO will have better uniformity, it's also self calibrating.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/monitors/1000369/eizo-coloredge-cg318-4k-review-to-4k-and-beyond

Still it's amazing you can get almost the same quality for a quarter of the price with the LG.

Right now dpi scaling in Windows is what's holding me back. I like Andrews way of changing the DPI for different use. In Windows that would be annoying to do because you have to log off and on to change the scaling. Does anyone know if Windows 10 improves this?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Eizo CG318-4K has similar specs to the LG, costs 4000 GBP. I'm sure the EIZO will have better uniformity, it's also self calibrating.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/monitors/1000369/eizo-coloredge-cg318-4k-review-to-4k-and-beyond

Still it's amazing you can get almost the same quality for a quarter of the price with the LG.

Right now dpi scaling in Windows is what's holding me back. I like Andrews way of changing the DPI for different use. In Windows that would be annoying to do because you have to log off and on to change the scaling. Does anyone know if Windows 10 improves this?

​Hey Julian, what kind of DPI scaling problems are you having?

I have a 4K panel (not this one) running under an MS surface pro 3 or sometimes a heavy duty desktop PC for when I need more ram (surface pro 3 only has 8GB). I would consider this but is one big issue:

Unless it supports the new versions of DP (1.3) or HDMI (2.0) which has support for 60HZ this will be a non starter for me. windows can easily drive these at 60hz, it has done so for a very long time, but like all similar panels that predate the new HDMI and DP rev up specs, they use DP 1.2 MST to merge two panels of half the res in the monitor. This works, yes, but some apps get funky about it, and gaming isn't really suite for it.

As a side note 4K works pretty good under windows if you let it scale apps (not leave it up to the apps). Pick the setting that works for you. However 10 goes up to 8K while still supporting the two modes (app scaling vs OS scaling). For me it doesn't even matter as the windows ecosystem is not an area I can compromise on, so it doesn't really matter if there are some quirks with some apps (I'd argue the author's rebooting problem to fix a resolution is far more of kill). Ultimately I know not all apps will support these resolutions and need to rely in OS scaling, which IMO is a poor man's replacement for app scaling, and not really desirable to being with as the bitmap/pixel based assets look really poor and OSX, or any OS for this matter cannot fix this. It is not possible. That requires the app author to ship new UDH/4K friendly assets. Since OSX has a much smaller app ecosystem, that may happen quicker, still I'm always pleased when I see another windows app support UHD resolutions. They will get there, at least all the apps I use which for now I'd say about half are UHD ready.

I'm still curious if this screen can get a firmware update to DP1.3/HDMI 2.0. If surface pro 4 supports Dp1.3 out of the box (and 16GB of ram) then my next monitor needs to go 60hz native. No DP MST 1.2 tricks. No 50hz BS.

I have a 4K panel (not this one) running under an MS surface pro 3 or sometimes a heavy duty desktop PC for when I need more ram (surface pro 3 only has 8GB). I would consider this but is one big issue:

Unless it supports the new versions of DP (1.3) or HDMI (2.0) which has support for 60HZ this will be a non starter for me. windows can easily drive these at 60hz, it has done so for a very long time, but like all similar panels that predate the new HDMI and DP rev up specs, they use DP 1.2 MST to merge two panels of half the res in the monitor. This works, yes, but some apps get funky about it, and gaming isn't really suite for it.

I'm still curious if this screen can get a firmware update to DP1.3/HDMI 2.0. If surface pro 4 supports Dp1.3 out of the box (and 16GB of ram) then my next monitor needs to go 60hz native. No DP MST 1.2 tricks. No 50hz BS.

​You're right and this was the problem that I was waiting to be fixed before purchasing a UHD monitor. Mainly the Multi Stream. The Dell P2715Q executes on a single stream DisplayPort and works flawlessly.

Probably a stupid question... but how bad does 1080p stuff look on a 4k monitor? I'd like to get a 4k monitor to really view 4k content, but I anticipate doing a lot of 1080p work indefinitely still, and 4k here and there.

​If you view 1080 at native resolution it fills up about 1/4 of the screen, and is sharp as hell. Pretty much like looking at a retina display.

Am i the only one who wishes they still made plasma?

Sure if you like: over-saturated colours, RF spewed everywhere and ridiculous power consumption.

Why do you think production monitors NEVER* used plasma? Try it out yourself, see how accurate a plasma panel is with a colorimeter.

*Panasonic, Sony, etc...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I just bought a 51" Plasma, last one in the production line, I'd never use any other kind in the living room for my family. The image is simply stunning, most importantly the BLACKS! 

For professional colouring? nope. I'd rather have a dull-looking accurate image than a pleasing contrasty punchy colours. 

I think Plasma should still have their place. It's not a better vs worse matter as many think. Plasmas have advantages and should still be improved and made. 

Sure if you like: over-saturated colours, RF spewed everywhere and ridiculous power consumption.

Why do you think production monitors NEVER* used plasma? Try it out yourself, see how accurate a plasma panel is with a colorimeter.

*Panasonic, Sony, etc...

​When I watch TV on a plasma it just reminds me more of a theater experience. LEDs/LCDs are great but I feel like I"m watching an iPad with brightness to 100%. Just a preference I guess.

*Panasonic, Sony, etc...

​Production monitors didn't use Plasma because you can't get smaller than 42", can't display larger than an 8-bit color space, and must use dithering to produce proper tonal variations. Many plasma panel image tests have shown models that are almost 100% Rec709 accurate, so I'm not sure where you're coming from here.

I'm incredibly excited for the dawn of affordable OLED, even if they don't render motion as well as plasma. Perfect viewing angles, perfect uniformity, perfect blacks, excellent color accuracy. :)

This is good timing as i am about to buy a new monitor of some kind.

I have been using a very good NEC 2690WUXi monitor now for many years and it still works very good for colors but has got some dark spots on the screen now.

Looking at the LG and the non 4k LG as well and this new one about to come out from BenQ a 27 that is 4K that is IPS.

100% sRGB with IPS Technology

Covering the 100% sRGB color space, every color is delivered with the finest precision in every detail and at every possible viewing angle for a great viewing experience. With a 10-bit panel that renders more than one billion hues, every image is displayed with the richest and liveliest colors.

The BL2711U monitor is also built to cover REC. 709 color space, which is well known as the standard format for HDTVs. A native REC. 709 color gamut ensures that every color is faithfully represented with optimal precision.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RORBPEW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=394KM8VV0OYCU&coliid=I1O2QPYUT77SHG

ot this 32 version

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O1B5M9I/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B00RORBPEW

Almost seems like if i could wate 6 months i could then find best one that is not even out yet with all the best features..

I have a 40 inch Phillips bdm4065uc. It is brilliant and does not require any of the scaling of smaller displays. For non-video work, it beats smaller monitors - it's so easy to have email, safari and word opened at decent size to switch between them seamlessly that it is much more productive than my previous apple led cinema display

i don't know how the 5k iMac and other smaller monitors stack up. I suspect they're better for displaying pictures/ video but not for other work.