What about this new JVC GY-LS300 camera

bluefonia

There seem to be no interest here on EOSHD in the new JVC GY-LS300. Just wonder why as it seems to have most - if not more - features than most here on this forum have been hoping for in new Canon/Sony/Panasonic cameras. This camera seems to be quite innovative in several areas. 

Here is a link : https://vimeo.com/121192570

Is the lack of interest because JVC is not having a good reputation? Well, Samsung had a so-so reputation before the NX1, right? I¨m by no means a camera tech expert, but this JVC looks pretty interesting. Maybe this camera turns out to be the big surprise of the year

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's not exactly new. Not available, but has been announced before. There has been coverage about it on EOSHD: http://www.eoshd.com/2014/11/surprise-4k-super-35mm-jvc-gy-ls300-costs-just-4k/

​According to JVC/US and B&H the camera is available right now, - this is taken from JVC/US website to day:

Introductory limited time offer valued up to $899!

Purchase a new GY-LS300 Super 35 camcorder between now and September 30, 2015 and receive a free Rokinon prime lens or Metabones lens adapter Choose from the following accessories:

• Rokinon Lens (DS24M-MFT 24mm MFT) — MSRP: $899
  • Rokinon Lens (DS35M-MFT 35mm MFT) — MSRP: $699
  • Metabones EF Lens Adapter (MB_EF-M43-BM1)— MSRP: $399
  • Metabones PL Lens Adapter (MB_PL-M43-BM1)— MSRP: $369
  • Metabones Nikon Lens Adapter (MB_NFG-M43-BM1)— MSRP: $139

Here are some more specs:

Main features:

• Newly developed 4K Super 35 CMOS image sensor
  • Micro Four Thirds System Lens Mount
  • Variable Scan Mapping maintains native angle of view for a variety of lenses including Super 35, MFT and Super 16.
    Adapters available for PL and EF mount lenses.
  • 4K Ultra HD recording (150 Mbps, 24p/25p/30p) to SDHC/SDXC(UHS-I Speed class3) card 
  • 4:2:2 Full HD recording at 50Mbps (24p-60p) 
  • 3 position ND filter (1/4, 1/16 and 1/64)
  • HD-SDI (3G) and HDMI outputs (4K output via HDMI only)
  • 2-channel XLR audio inputs with phantom power
  • Shotgun microphone included
  • Dual SDHC/SDXC slots enable Dual, Backup and Continuous recording
  • Advanced JVC streaming engine compatible with USTREAM, Zixi and Wowza Streaming Engine
  • IP Network Remote Control, Remote Viewing, Metadata editing, FTP clips* 
  • 3.5-inch color LCD display (920K pixel) with smart focus assist function
  • 0.24-inch color viewfinder (1.56M pixel) with smart focus assist function
  • Wired remote control supported
  • 10 user button assignable functions 
  • Includes handle unit, SSL-JVC50 7.4V battery, AC Adapter and shotgun microphone

Seems like the DR is only around 10.5 though

• 2 years later...

I would hope for a better camera. LS300 is great for what it is, and for the price, but they need a better processor, and maybe some improvement on the output of the sensor (or even better, a slightly better one!).

Since the 2 companies I work mostly bought into GH5, we haven't used the LS300 since June.

I looked at JVC in my search for a cinema camera. To my eye, the image is pretty clean and comparable to most cameras in the sub $3000 range. I have no qualms with the image, nor color.  

That being said, the image to me looks pretty digital, which is not what I'm personally interested in. I've spent considerable money to help make my NX1 look less digital and more filmic, I feel like JVC's image would defeat this effort, despite the great ENG features and internal ND. 

I also at this point in 2018, when both Samsung and LG have released 10bit video/photo in their smartphones (Samsung will announce today) I feel like no one should be releading 8bit cameras in the $900-$3,000 range, it's just not a competitive long term strategy. 

34 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

I looked at JVC in my search for a cinema camera. To my eye, the image is pretty clean and comparable to most cameras in the sub $3000 range. I have no qualms with the image, nor color.  

That being said, the image to me looks pretty digital, which is not what I'm personally interested in. I've spent considerable money to help make my NX1 look less digital and more filmic, I feel like JVC's image would defeat this effort, despite the great ENG features and internal ND. 

I also at this point in 2018, when both Samsung and LG have released 10bit video/photo in their smartphones (Samsung will announce today) I feel like no one should be releading 8bit cameras in the $900-$3,000 range, it's just not a competitive long term strategy. 

JVC never advertised it as a cinema camera, isn't that, it is a workhorse camera in the sense of a camcorder, and the rich history JVC has on them. 

10bit is irrelevant to the conversation right now, especially when the GH5/GH5s are the only cameras offering 10bit under, at least, 5000$.

The smartphone market is different as well, would you work with a 10 bit phone? I would rather have the "weak" Canon C100mkII codec than any existent footage of a phone (at the moment).

LS300 is a very humble offer from JVC with some great innovative ideas, the price is right too. It is a little bit rough around the edges (ergonomically is not very good, because unlike the older camcorders it mimics, putting different lenses on a body is a different story, the viewfinder non workable/monitor terrible etc) and looses on some specs, but in general is a good buy for the instances that one could (or would) use a camcorder, and there are plenty of them, and still sell well.

On 2/25/2018 at 3:28 PM, Anaconda_ said:

@Alt Shoo - Did you shoot that in Jlog 4K to the Atomos? Would you mind sharing some info about lenses / camera settings etc. ?

Hey I didn’t shoot that, but it’s a good recent video. @Kisaha they didn’t market it as a cinema camera, but the cinema part came from them stating this fact through trade shows and industry events.