Best Recording Monitor under $1000: Atomos reacts to the BM Video Assist?

andrgl

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Ninja 2 however has waveforms and vectorscopes, which some could argue are much more important. 

​Ebrahm said in the other thread about this:

Yes I came here to correct this too. A friend talked to a BM rep on the show floor and they confirmed: Peaking + Zebras + Histogram + False Colour + Audio meters and more upgrades through firmware even after that. 

I have been wondering about the waveform and histogram stuff too. My greatest request would be false color. I assume it will have waveform and histogram like the side panels of URSA (I believe they have these) as well as focus peaking, but probably not false color. But couldn't they add whatever is missing via firmware update?

I have been wondering about the waveform and histogram stuff too. My greatest request would be false color. I assume it will have waveform and histogram like the side panels of URSA (I believe they have these) as well as focus peaking, but probably not false color. But couldn't they add whatever is missing via firmware update?

​Definitely is possible. BM is pretty unpredictable with firmware updates. I'm waiting until there are some actual people using it to see if it all pans out, but on paper this is the product I've been waiting for.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The rep my friend spoke to did say there is peaking, zebras, false colour, histogram, audio meters, and timecode display... didn't mention 1-waveform or 2-vectroscope or 3-LUT support. He didn't confirm they are not there just didn't mention them in the monitoring features, so I suspect these are the only three missing. 

BM Video Assist will down convert a 4k signal to 1080, but is that down convert a recordable signal? What I'm getting at is this, since the Samsung NX1 does not have a clean 1080 out, could you connect it to the BM Video Assist, let it down convert, and record a clean 1080 signal to ProRes? I wished Samsung would FW upate that 1080 out.

While I'm on the subject, lets not forget Sound Devices PIX E-5 that will record 4k at all ProRes flavors for $1395. That isn't a bad price for a good quality recorder, which I'm sure this is coming from Sound Device, unlike some other 4k recorder that is a piece...

The rep my friend spoke to did say there is peaking, zebras, false colour, histogram, audio meters, and timecode display... didn't mention 1-waveform or 2-vectroscope or 3-LUT support. He didn't confirm they are not there just didn't mention them in the monitoring features, so I suspect these are the only three missing. 

​Then why not advertise as such. Seems like a missed opportunity, if those features do exist in the device.

I hope that the next and upcoming 4K monitor recorder from Blackmagic has the following features.

-1080p IPS panel,

-both SD card and SSD :D,

-Ability to record RAW,

Even tho the SD card will be limited to the lower resolution vide sources. Or how about support for UHS-II cards as well. (one can dream and hope) :)

-Ability to record RAW,

​They wouldn't do RAW, as transmitting it would use a non standard interface (doesn't exist yet.) It'd be 12-bit 4:4:4 (just as good as RAW, except already debayered) through SDI.

Even tho the SD card will be limited to the lower resolution vide sources. Or how about support for UHS-II cards as well. (one can dream and hope) :)

​If Blackmagic built a 4K recorder, my bet is that it'd use CFast cards.