Best Recording Monitor under $1000: Atomos reacts to the BM Video Assist?

andrgl

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a Video Assist on pre-order - intending to use as a gimbal monitor and for the BMMCC. 

Very silly not to have those monitoring functions. 

All my camera buying plans are up in the air at the moment though (inc Mini 4.6k) - loads of changes going on right now so I'm holding off on everything for another month or two.

All my camera buying plans are up in the air at the moment though (inc Mini 4.6k) - loads of changes going on right now so I'm holding off on everything for another month or two.

Agreed, it's interesting times. And being patient is def key! Everyday I wanna swing by B&H and pick up something else but I just got to stay patient! 

• 1 month later...

I have a Video Assist on pre-order - intending to use as a gimbal monitor and for the BMMCC. 

Very silly not to have those monitoring functions. 

Well, they just added zebras and peaking as I recall. So it ups the desirability a notch or two...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new here, so forgive me if this has been answered or is a stupid statement.  If the video assists still uses SDXC/SDHC it doesn't seem to overcome the  limitations of the internal card.  Whereas the Atomos Ninja 2 and preferably the Ninja blade while not perfect seem to at least solve a wealth of problems.  Just getting an external monitor is adding more bulk and ungainliness to a rig, especially if you still need an external storage solution.

• 3 months later...

What about a7sII and BM_Video_Assist ? Are there any bugs ? Does it automatically triggers REC from camera?

I just want to overcome the 30min limitation of the camera (or use it as a backup), I don't care about the panel's crispness

On 3/23/2016 at 8:21 PM, ge0kas said:

What about a7sII and BM_Video_Assist ? Are there any bugs ? Does it automatically triggers REC from camera?

I just want to overcome the 30min limitation of the camera (or use it as a backup), I don't care about the panel's crispness

I believe BMD now supports Sony's trigger. 

But you'd be limited to HD.

On 12/8/2015 at 6:34 AM, jrg56 said:

I'm new here, so forgive me if this has been answered or is a stupid statement.  If the video assists still uses SDXC/SDHC it doesn't seem to overcome the  limitations of the internal card.  Whereas the Atomos Ninja 2 and preferably the Ninja blade while not perfect seem to at least solve a wealth of problems.  Just getting an external monitor is adding more bulk and ungainliness to a rig, especially if you still need an external storage solution.

SD vs SSD is not such the big issue it used to be, as SD cards are now so dirt cheap you can record for ages onto one with ProRes HQ fairly cheaply. It wasn't a factor in my decision making between a BMD VA vs a Samurai Blade

• 3 months later...

so what are the states of things now between atomos blade, ninja 2 and the Video assist? 

- Do the focus peaking of any works any better on any? ( is focus peaking adjustment useable at all  on the ninja 2 with such a low res?)
- fan sound out of BMVA...bummer?
others differences that may have changed... 
- colour accuracy

15 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Skip the Ninja 2 completely, as its screen is so outright sh*t. The little tiny extra cost for a Samurai/Ninja Blade or BMD VA is totally worth it.

have done it. Now Blade or VA? VA colour accuracy is not that good I hear. Being able to record proxy is an advantage though. And I don't no how critical is the sound out of the fan. And focus peaking (or ability to nail focus) differences..

I dunno.... I think it is a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other!

I went with the Samurai Blade for my F3 and I keep on kinda wishing I had got the BMD VA instead.....   but deep down in my heart I feel sure if I'd got the BMD VA instead I'd be wishing I'd got the Samurai Blade instead! ha!

"Grass is always greener on the other side."

11 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I dunno.... I think it is a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other!

I went with the Samurai Blade for my F3 and I keep on kinda wishing I had got the BMD VA instead.....   but deep down in my heart I feel sure if I'd got the BMD VA instead I'd be wishing I'd got the Samurai Blade instead! ha!

"Grass is always greener on the other side."

hahaha ok. Thanks man yes I guess is just a matter of jumping out of the fence.