Filmmaking is Dead, Long Live FIlmmaking

fuzzynormal

There's a lot great image quality from a fundamental standpoint. Meaning the image is clean, sharp, vibrant, etc... but really good, imaginative cinematography is still a rare commodity.

​You're right.  And that's my point. That achieving great technical IQ with contemporary tools is easy.  So easy that a beginner with a good eye is going to capture competent if not outstanding images.  In fact, their fresh naive outlook might be a huge value.  They might do things in a new way simply because they don't know any better.  

Of course what you do or capture in front of the camera is the utmost importance.  So much more than what specific camera you happen to use.  Can you see light and paint with it?  Do you frame well?  Etc.

That's why learning how to exploit the tool as a true film maker (rather than relying on the tool itself to elevate one's service to a client) is what ultimately matters (to me) for a rewarding career.  Otherwise, I feel like I'm just being a technician.  And, like I said, being a technician when everyone has access to the tech isn't going to get you far.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​You're right.  And that's my point. That achieving great technical IQ with contemporary tools is easy.  So easy that a beginner with a good eye is going to capture competent if not outstanding images.  In fact, their fresh naive outlook might be a huge value.  They might do things in a new way simply because they don't know any better.  

​If capturing good images is your primary strength, you should indeed be terrified because all tech is making such processes easier for everyone. As I mentioned before, Instagram pretty much killed photoblogging for me. But if art and storytelling are your strength, you have nothing to worry about, - all those well-shot videos on vimeo with nothing to say are just dead fish washing up on the beach...it doesnt diminish the real thing.

Increased technological efficiency has cannibalized tens of millions of jobs in the industrial world and will continue to do so.