Canon 5D Mark IV "will be 1080p" with Canon LOG

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

I received an email from a NAB show visitor today who had spoken off the record to Canon and was told the company believes a 4K 5D Mark IV would completely overshadow the recently released C100 Mark II and so wouldn't happen, but that Canon LOG would likely go into the camera to allow shot-matching with the XC10.

So to segment specs based on price, Canon is allegedly sticking to 1080p on future DSLRs. The exception is the 4K XC10 which isn't a competitor to the C100 Mark II or C300 Mark II as it features a tiny 1" sensor and fixed camcorder-style zoom lens by comparison.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"there’s a perception at Canon and Nikon that perhaps Sony, Panasonic and Samsung have 4K TVs to sell, and so have only introduced 4K in their cameras as a marketing ploy and that really consumers don’t really care about advanced large sensor 4K video on DSLRs"

thats key, of course they want that, because they want to sell those 4k new tvs...

on the other hand i cant believe they will stick to 1080 p only, they might give something better like 2.5K..

• Administrators

Seems a bit of an odd statement to me, considering they already have the 1DC. I got offered one for £2500 the other day, so if all else fails, it is still a great route if you want 4K in a DSLR.

Jimmy, just fucking buy it.

If you don't I will!!!

• Administrators

hmm no offense but an email from 'a nab visitor' who spoke to 'canon'  and 'believes' the 5d4 will be 1080 is pretty vague as a source! (unless you have more info you didnt mention)

​Of course it's a vague source, do you really think they want their personal info online?

I have no interest in mastering to 4k yet but you can't even try to pry my 4k cameras out of my hands. It just opens the doors for me as a run & gun videographer (weddings mostly) to be able to crop and recompose in post. I do this all day long with photographs...it's about freaking time I can do it for video. Plus my frame grabs when I need them are much more usable. Every now and then I even stabilize in post which usually amounts to a crop. I still have my 5D3 for photography use but almost never use it for video anymore. Canon is dead wrong if they think 4k isn't a must have. Though granted, I still have yet to master out to 4k for projects...though I do enjoy watching my home videos on my 4k tv which I do maintain at 4k. Maybe my kids will thank me someday for their high quality home videos. 

I think the "DSLR revolution" is over.

With great proper/affordable video choices, I think it's time to think this product is great for video, and this product is great for photos (which I'm sure the Mark IV will be), not an hybrid product that doesn't excel at both.