A7S no successor at NAB 2015 ?

Nicolas MAILLET

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I also would liked to have seen the A7Sii at NAB. But heard some time ago that it would not be at this show. I'm hoping when it is revealed it will check the boxes the original failed to. 

1. Internal 4k.

2. In body image stabilization.

3. Better battery life.

There more,  but these three top my list of must have features.

Internal 4K with h264 ok, but with HEVC ? Not sure though... while it is highly hardware dependent too...

On April 23 Sony seems to have programmed a Press conference... Like for the A7s announcement, after NAB ? ...

The A7s is a killer... Blackmagic is Mini-URSA'ing everywhere and that's true this little baby's got balls in the pants !!! But Sony can't stay outside of the ring with no 4K iso killer body...

Wish i can say the truth... hope it'll come later, maybe April 23rd...

Hi,

i'm surprised there is still no announced successor of the A7s i desire so much... In fact i'm saying myself this will be A7s successor or URSA Mini...

Do you have some hot things to share about a announcement ?

GH4 has no successor, neither does Canon 5D which has been out for years...... URSA Mini with new sensor option looks excellent, if you're not a working pro though I don't see most people spending $6k + for that system when you have the Sony FS700, FS7 , C300 Mark I , C100 Mark I and Mark II which are professional cameras used in video productions work wide. Black magic are excellent "niche" projects, but unless you have the clientele honestly imo a waste of money....

I would much rather own a Sony FS700, FS7 or C100 series which are actually used all the time in video productions....

and do you really want a successor to make the older version left with no support & obsolete, and then the same again next year - one year cycles for cameras is a nightmare, and Sony seem to be pushing that - be careful what you wish for

I agree 100%, excellent post!

and do you really want a successor to make the older version left with no support & obsolete, and then the same again next year - one year cycles for cameras is a nightmare, and Sony seem to be pushing that - be careful what you wish for

Yes I do.  Lack of internal 4k is why I passed on the A7S. 

GH4 is 4k, so it's not living in the past. Samsung NX1 is 6k down-scaled to 4k and H.265, so it is good for the forseeable future. A7S is priced like 4k, but is only HD. It is the only one of the trio missing this highly sort after feature.

As for comments like blah blah blah is "impossible"... well five years ago all of this was impossible wasn't it? 

Mark my words, Sony has the technology to do 4k in the A7Sii. They probably could have done it in the first model. 

The bottom line is this, the current A7S is a $4500 camera for anyone that would like to shoot 4k. So this means the A7S really is not priced where Sony planned it to be. Meaning fewer sales. For this reason I'm certain that getting 4k into the successor is a top priority.

​Well unless they can add IBIS or internal 4k via a firmware update, then a new A7sii model only makes sense. 

Come on guys i truly don't change my cameras every year... as i rent the ones i use for my projects... FS700 for 240fps, F55 for great dynamic range ... 1DC sometimes for lighter projects...

What these companies do every year bringing out new bodies is the exact thing i want : every year they make effort to compete with others to bring the best... this only make profit to the final users...

Now we have for example a Blackmagic camera with 15 stops DR (surely 12 usable in reality) with 4K picture, super 35 sized sensor and high frame rates... everything for around 8k ready to shoot... Of course i want new bodies every year, of course i want the big companies to get outdoor of their well defined rails... of course i want bombs like the mini URSA and A7s to knock out the habits, of course i want it...

But the topic was about infos about a successor of the A7s. Sorry for the Off-topic. No problem with your opinion though... I understand what you can think. That's what happened to the BMPC 4K camera... Wish you understand mine.

The problem for Sony with A7s is the same problem with Canon for the 5D series... if they start packing all the features we want into their lowest end cameras the market will disappear for their mid-teir models the F5 and C300. Just look at the F5 with the 4k hack -- it was basically a 4k camera all along but they wanted to protect the pricing of the F55. Blackmagic is changing the game by blowing this whole thing up and driving prices down. I also believe Sony probably has the tech or wherewithal to make 4k work internally in the A7s (even at a slightly higher price point), but from their perspective, why bother?

Yes I do.  Lack of internal 4k is why I passed on the A7S. 

GH4 is 4k, so it's not living in the past. Samsung NX1 is 6k down-scaled to 4k and H.265, so it is good for the forseeable future. A7S is priced like 4k, but is only HD. It is the only one of the trio missing this highly sort after feature.

As for comments like blah blah blah is "impossible"... well five years ago all of this was impossible wasn't it? 

Mark my words, Sony has the technology to do 4k in the A7Sii. They probably could have done it in the first model. 

The bottom line is this, the current A7S is a $4500 camera for anyone that would like to shoot 4k. So this means the A7S really is not priced where Sony planned it to be. Meaning fewer sales. For this reason I'm certain that getting 4k into the successor is a top priority.

​GH4 has poor iso and dynamic range compared to Sony A7s , no matter what you do nothing can change that, nothing..... You can easily rent a recorder for A7s if you need 4k..... Also 1080p on Sony A7s is basically perfect and looks much much better than any other camera shooting 1080p outside of Canon Cinema series.

GH4 and Nx1 are nowhere close to the quality of Sony A7s. Resolution is simply not the only thing that makes an image........

​GH4 has poor iso and dynamic range compared to Sony A7s , no matter what you do nothing can change that, nothing..... You can easily rent a recorder for A7s if you need 4k..... Also 1080p on Sony A7s is basically perfect and looks much much better than any other camera shooting 1080p outside of Canon Cinema series.

GH4 and Nx1 are nowhere close to the quality of Sony A7s. Resolution is simply not the only thing that makes an image........

I agree,  resolution is not the  only thing. But I, like many, enjoy the flexibility of being able to zoom in, pan and tilt an otherwise static shot.

You could have made a case for not having 4k  last year... but even then it was a shaky argument. In 2015 there is no excuse. DR and clean 1080p mean nothing at this price point without 4k in camera.