How to get Canon-like skin tones?

acuriousman

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

By shooting color charts with your camera and a Canon you can create a transfer function in the form of a 3D LUT. This could be possible with something like SpeedGrade (and/or Resolve if it has a frame/color match feature). This is tricky as 3D LUTs are sensitive to exposure, color temperature, etc. The best way to get Canon (or better) skin tones is to shoot with ARRI (;)). I shoot stills or raw video with the 5D3 under the same conditions as the A7S to then match the A7S to 5D3 footage in post (using white balance, curves, ProcAmp, etc. in Premiere). The next version of Premiere has a color style match feature from photos- that might also help (shoot Canon/5D3 stills to provide the color match template).

By shooting color charts with your camera and a Canon you can create a transfer function in the form of a 3D LUT. This could be possible with something like SpeedGrade (and/or Resolve if it has a frame/color match feature). This is tricky as 3D LUTs are sensitive to exposure, color temperature, etc. The best way to get Canon (or better) skin tones is to shoot with ARRI (;)). I shoot stills or raw video with the 5D3 under the same conditions as the A7S to then match the A7S to 5D3 footage in post (using white balance, curves, ProcAmp, etc. in Premiere). The next version of Premiere has a color style match feature from photos- that might also help (shoot Canon/5D3 stills to provide the color match template).

​I don't have access to any of those tools. I'm just working with stills and I only have Photoshop.

According to Art Adams (and confirmed by my own observations), the secret to Canon's skintones is that they push red slightly toward orange. Since most blemishes are redder than the surrounding skin, it makes them blend in and provides an overall creaminess that's not color accurate but is aesthetically pleasing. They also push green tones slightly toward blue to compensate for and contrast with the abundance of orange.

• 4 years later...
  • Super Members
On 6/13/2019 at 5:59 PM, drpaiin said:

I found a video that helps out a lot when trying to get Canon like skin tones from a Sony:

Looking at the twitter handle in the video description, I'm a bit confused about the "found" bit of your post ?

2136824428_ScreenShot2019-06-15at14_01_48.png.0f87791bc2f416b16644c2f1645e32d0.png

2 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Yeah if you like canon color so much just buy a canon camera..

In the intervening four years since he posed the question he might well have.

18 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Looking at the twitter handle in the video description, I'm a bit confused about the "found" bit of your post ?

2136824428_ScreenShot2019-06-15at14_01_48.png.0f87791bc2f416b16644c2f1645e32d0.png

In the intervening four years since he posed the question he might well have.

oof I didn't even realize the massive bump I figured with so few replies it was new post lmaoo

well thats embarrassing :blush: never been concerned with post dates before. now.  Not sure how i can carry the burden of responsibility  now that i have to watch post dates as well. I feel abit like jesus bringing lazarus back from the dead  :dizzy: