Mixing 2.7k with 4K - what should i render at?

jnorman34

I will be doing some work with a gopro 4 shooting street scenes.  some of it will be 4k (30fps) and some will be 2.7k (60fps slowed by 50% in post).  when I render, should render at 4k and let the software upscale the 2.7k footage, or should I render at 2.7k and downres the 4k footage?  thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Scale it down to 1080p and get some nice looking perfectly stabilized footage....... Unless you are delivering to a film house, major tv network or client that needs 4K I would always deliver in 1080p. 1080p looks excellent, especially with footage captured at higher resolutions

What format will you distribute in? Online, television, theatre screens? If online, 1080p is definitely a safe bet with the advantages stated above.

If you'd like to though, Mattias Burling showed that uploading 1080p upscaled to 4k actually shows a far cleaner image on youtube than uploading the 1080p native because youtube gives it a better bit rate. I'm sure 2.7k to 4k would be even better in this scenario.

Why can't you export in 2.7k? What software?

Othervise what arellaTV said. I did a few tests on my own where I just upscaled 1080p footage to 4K and it looks way better on YT. Even if you watch it in 1080p and not 4k it looks better in that codec than it does in "regular" 1080p codec.