Blackmagic Micro Cinema vs Studio Camera - What are the differences?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Blackmagic once again caused quite a stir at NAB with three new cameras.

I like the URSA Mini best but here we have the old Pocket and Studio cameras reincarnated in a sexier body.

These cameras are exceptionally innovative and certainly break a performance / size ratio of sorts! However although they look very similar on the surface, they are very different cameras for different types of users.

I'll now delve into how the pair of 'identical twins' differ in terms of personality...

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

You can just add a small 4" or 5" monitor behind the micro model & there you have a spiritual pocket successor, but with global shutter, 60p, solved batteryissue, incredibly small size that can be separated from LCD, and all the new remote/connector features. You can do it for like 1500$. (Micro + BM video assist/ or any tiny monitor)

Just hope the addition global shutter didn't change the image negatively. They still say 13 stops so a good sign it hasn't.

I guess not releasing a Pocket 2 or Pocket 4K disappointed a lot of people.
I think this is a clever move.

Now how will choose the current Pocket (I have one) with its crappy LCD and battery life, over the Micro+Monitor combo? Even if it's 500$ more, and you get Global Shutter now!
For the Pocket's purpose, I think the new Micro form factor is an improvement and more versatile.

Maybe next year will get a Micro 4K (not Studio, but Cinema).

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Looks cute here. This setup is 1500$. ​And the BM 5" screen doubles as an external sdi/hdmi recorder to all your cameras, not to mention an articulating 1080p lcd (vs the horrible pocket lcd!) You can use smaller non-recorder monitors though.

Such a nice set up for s16 lovers and vintage glass shooters for 1500$

I was hoping for a combination of these two - 4k/30p and 1080/60p, global shutter - 13 stops DR. I may have to buy one of each for different purposes, along with their new 5" monitor/recorder (I wonder if that will work on my Pocket?). Pop one of these on a Nebula 4000 Lite (really hoping for a new version of that at NAB, btw), and Bob's yer uncle!

Damn,

I had hoped for a Pocket 2 or Pocket 4K  too. :/

The URSA mini goes that way but it way too expensive, records to CFast 2.0 cards instead of SSD drives and is incompatible with Micro 4/3 lenses. (And ugly as hell)

The Studio camera would be great if it could just record. You can't add 12 or 14 bit RAW recording via SDI.

The cinema camera would be great if it wasn't limited to FullHD and had a display. Especially in action I want extra pixels for the deshaking.

I liked the concept of the Pocket more than these building blocks. I'm sure they are great for a lot of users, but I love the 'cheap digital camera' look of Pocket. Those new camera's don't seem very suitable for casual use. With a monitor attached to it the form factor gets weird.

• Administrators

if only that awesome monitor/recoder did 4k prores for £500.  still even 1080p is awesome at that price!

​Damn, wish there was a tiny Ninja Star style 4K ProRes recorder at NAB. A7S would love me for it.

Where is that!?

Okay, so basically, this thing is actually BETTER than the pocket in many ways (sans screen). It feels like if I want an upgrade this summer and still don't care for 4K and hate DSLR. Should I just try to sell my BMPCC kit and invest in this plus they Monitor? I wonder how the BMPCC/Nikon speedboster would fit with this as I wouldn't have to get anything else new really. For me Global Shutter and then 60fps (in rolling shutter mode) is things I really really want at this point.

Okay, so basically, this thing is actually BETTER than the pocket in many ways (sans screen). It feels like if I want an upgrade this summer and still don't care for 4K and hate DSLR. Should I just try to sell my BMPCC kit and invest in this plus they Monitor? I wonder how the BMPCC/Nikon speedboster would fit with this as I wouldn't have to get anything else new really. For me Global Shutter and then 60fps (in rolling shutter mode) is things I really really want at this point.

​I want all that PLUS 4K so that I can down-sample to an amazing 1080 picture. I'd even be happy if it was a 4K sensor that recorded straight to that downsampled 1080.

I liked the concept of the Pocket more than these building blocks. I'm sure they are great for a lot of users, but I love the 'cheap digital camera' look of Pocket. Those new camera's don't seem very suitable for casual use. With a monitor attached to it the form factor gets weird.

​I have to agree. This seems to go in the opposite direction of what's happening with smart phones. The brilliance of the pocket cam is that it could literally fit in your pocket with a pancake lens. Maybe I'll scoop one up on Ebay. This micro design while I see applications for it especially with wireless transmission, it's now relegated to specialty purposes. They should've just improved on the original pocket cam by giving it a better and articulating LCD, improved specs, etc and just market the micro as a drone, specialty mount camera.

​Damn, wish there was a tiny Ninja Star style 4K ProRes recorder at NAB. A7S would love me for it.

Where is that!?

​Pix E 5. 1400.00 USD with SDI/HDMI. Not quite star size but a lot smaller, brighter, and cheaper than a Shogun. It also will record to Pro Rez Hq 4444. Pix has a great rep for making reliable recorders. I really thought this thing was going to be at least 2x the price. For gimbal work, it can double as you gimbal monitor / recorder.

But I hear you. I truly wish someone just made a 4k recorder without the monitor that's real small. Atomos can you hear us?

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sound-Devices-PIX-E5.html

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/04/03/sound-devices-pix-e-4k-recording-monitors/

So the studio camera is the same camera plus it shoots 4K? I've read the tech specs for both on B&H and it seems to deliver the exact same things. Only difference I can see is there's no talk about global shutter on Studio version. Otherwise they seem the same so for 300dolllars you get a pocket 4K shooter basically.