Blackmagic Next Surprise: External 5" 1080p recorder for 495$!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​I think he must've interpreted 'You can simultaneously record full 10-bit 4:2:2 HD files on the Video Assist and capture full resolution 4K RAW digital negatives on your camera!' as such. But I'd say nothing points in the direction of it actually taking 4K signals and downconverting it, so my guess would be that that particular statement is false and it in fact does not do this, it just takes monitoring signals that are conform the ones described under SDI/HDMI Video Standards.

- Hum, well. It actually does say 'You can view any SD or HD format and, since it includes a 6G-SDI connection, you can even monitor Ultra HD!', although that seems to go against the specs saying '1 x SD/HD/3G-SDI'. But maybe after all? :P

​Grant Petty confirmed that it will convert down to 1080p in the monitor. This is in one of the No Film School converge pieces, regarding the Black Magic Micro Cinema Camera. 

Mentioned in the video below.

Wow, they're killing it are BM. As thers have said a 4K version as well next year ... I know a few people who have been wanting monitors for 1080p recording and put off by the prices. This will sell like crazy, especially if it will downscale 4K from GH4s and NX1s.

Wow, they're killing it are BM. As thers have said a 4K version as well next year ... I know a few people who have been wanting monitors for 1080p recording and put off by the prices. This will sell like crazy, especially if it will downscale 4K from GH4s and NX1s.

​Grant said it will do 1080/60p, which is awesome for people who own the A7S and want that clean 1080p/60.

​Grant Petty confirmed that it will convert down to 1080p in the monitor. This is in one of the No Film School converge pieces, regarding the Black Magic Micro Cinema Camera. 

Mentioned in the video below.

​Hum. I guess 'exactly that, yeah' it is! :lol: Although, that kinda addresses the way of delivering having to be 6G-SDI compliant (so pro RAW cameras with SDI out).

Not sure how one would go about that with a GH4, A7S or NX1 with HDMI-out like current usage with the Shogun/Odyssee, which I think most of us would be interested in...

​Even if it output 60 frames, what benefit would that be? You'd still have 24 frames of actual motion.

​Well I never really understood the technology behind it. So let's say the BMPCC sensor actually can produce 1080p 60fps, but processor wouldn't allow it, doesn't that mean I could still gain those 60 from an output? I'm trying to understand all this sensor capability talk. Some people say "oh the URSA sensor can do 900fps but the processor only allows 120fps". So yeah, I might just sell my BMPCC and get the Micro then.

Keep in mind the VideoDevices (nee SoundDevices) PIX series can do 4K recording, also have a FHD screen, and are also in the size/weight ballpark for roughly double the cost. So if you want actual 4K recording for the same size/weight penalty, that's another very good option (a lighter/smaller/cheaper Shogun, basically). 

Keep in mind the VideoDevices (nee SoundDevices) PIX series can do 4K recording, also have a FHD screen, and are also in the size/weight ballpark for roughly double the cost. So if you want actual 4K recording for the same size/weight penalty, that's another very good option (a lighter/smaller/cheaper Shogun, basically). 

​can you provide a link? I did a search and only came up with $3K+ recorders with screens.

Thanks

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes it will be triggered by the cameras record button through HDMI. 

Only downside I am seeing right now, no rich monitoring functions, like zebras, peaking, waveform, vectroscope, false colour, etc 

Unless they forgot to mention them but it's highlt unlikely. They only memtion Histogram and Audio meters, the photos also show that, just a clean 5" 1080p display with a histogram and meters on bottom. 

Could be added later by firmware and could be not. 

Yes it will be triggered by the cameras record button through HDMI. 

Only downside I am seeing right now, no rich monitoring functions, like zebras, peaking, waveform, vectroscope, false colour, etc 

Unless they forgot to mention them but it's highlt unlikely. They only memtion Histogram and Audio meters, the photos also show that, just a clean 5" 1080p display with a histogram and meters on bottom. 

Could be added later by firmware and could be not. 

​I bet it has zebras and peaking just like all the other menus from their earlier cameras. But yeah, Waveform, Vector and False color and more would always be extremely nice looking at form factor and pricing. I don't really have the money to buy a Shogun so 495 is an amazing starting point just to update to a small external monitor. I've tried maybe 4 so far (around 5-600dollar range, marshal, ikan and they all look and feel like shit so I returned them immediately). I'm excited.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes I came here to correct this too. A friend talked to a BM rep on the show floor and they confirmed: Peaking + Zebras + Histogram + False Colour + Audio meters and more upgrades through firmware even after that. 

He also confirms the screen is insanely sharp, bright and just a great extra monitor. In fact it is the same panel in the Mini URSA. Rep said there will be third party loups the simply turns it into an EVF if needed.

It records to a cheap SINGLE SD card. All flavous of ProRes and DNxHD, loopes in and out as a converter from HDMI to SDI and vice versa. (Personal note: this is a throw out at Atomos for recording to more expensive SSDs)

It has Both HDMI and SDI inputs, and it's the only HDMI recorder on the market to support 1080p 60p (Only from cameras that output 1080p 60p of course like the C100 mk II) (Personal note: this part is also a throw out at Atomos for only topping at 30p even for their most expensive model below te Shogun, and also non of the Atomos products supports both HDMI and SDI at the same time)

It takes two Canon LP-E6 batteries and uses them sequentially, making it run a ''full shoot'', but also has a power in, which powers the device as well as recharge the batteries in the process. 

It will communicate with all known video cameras like Canons, Nikons, Sonys, and of course BMs. Meaning recieving a Start/Stop order plus Timecode sync. 

The unit is said to be extremely light that you'd be comfortable using it on a DSLR hotshoe. 

It will retail for 495$ and will ship on June.

Personal note: It's my first shot at ''pre-order''ing. It's just seems like a killer for practically all monitor companies out there plus a killer to all external recorders below the Shogun and Q7+. 

Let's hand it to them, BM can make products at mind blowing prices for some reason compared to every manufacturer out there. I hope there isn't a price to pay for paying that little, something like dying on set after a month, 1/2 an hour battery life, explodes in sun light, has the monitor disabled for 2017 firmware update, you know BM stuff! But I have a feeling I can trust them this year forward. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Neither have I. 

Anyway, the only vague part the BM rep couldn't answer is receiving a 4K signal and downscaling it to 1080p. He said he thinks this is only possible through the 6g sdi input and not sure whether it will record that signal.

The icing on the cake would be having the ability to input a 4K HDMI signal and record it to clean 1080p. This would open so many doors for the A7s 4K, nx1 h265 bypassing, and GH4 10bit 4:2:2 derived from the 4k sensor area. Fingers-crossed!