Blackmagic Next Surprise: External 5" 1080p recorder for 495$!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicvideoassist

Another hit, this time to Atomos Ninjas/blades. 

It's dirt cheap, cheaper than any monitor, takes cheap Canon batteries, cheap SD Card & records up to 1080p 60p ProRes and DNxHD!

They could kill Shogun & q7+ if they make a slighty more expensive 4K one with the same size. 

Blackmagic new products today are beautifully designed, as if apple started making pro video gear!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Viewing angle is 135 degrees. Not bad, but something to note.

​Sounds like a TN display panel... shame.

Nice product compared to other recoders with built in screen I guess, but I'd only be tempted if it had 4K. Even at this price point I don't think that should be impossible.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Haven't actually used any of them but based on initial, this appears to be better as in

-doubling as an SDI/HDMI external recorder,

-works as an SDI monitor as well as HDMI, 

-while being the same approximate size device and display

-for less than half the price. 

Perhaps the much pricier 502 will present itself in the actual quality of the LCD Panel, and perhaps a few additional small monitoring features. 

I need a small monitor for my gimbal, been shooting on it almost blind for a while! 

Liked the SmallHD, didn't like the price. 

This looks much better - sold. 4k one next year then. 

I can also see someone coming up with an inventive way to rig it up with the Micro Camera - not that weird way demonstrated in the marketing photo with a magic arm. 

Not that I'm not excited for this one, I am, but I'd love to perhaps see a slightly bigger (5.5" or 6" perhaps) one though with a bit more monitoring options and 4K capability (also because of the UHD Studio model).

I like to cage my cameras (GH4, BMPCC) and it would be nice if I could have a monitor pointing upwards when shooting low angle for example. Or just to have a monitor/recorder with some helpful features framing and focussing altogether. Would really appreciate it if it had all the bells and whistles (more than just a plain histogram) such as scopes/waveforms/histogram/zebras/peaking/focus assist(picture-in-picture punch-in zoom)/frame guides overlays and all that good stuff.

For me personally, what I would love to see is a very tiny little box that just does all these things and then puts 'em out over a cable to a calibrated field monitor. The monitor itself is just a mere display, without anything overly fancy having been built-in to it. This way I can buy fairly cheap monitors in different sizes for different occassions and have one very capable processing module. Imagine that module also having somekind of basic wireless monitor push, basicly just a video/screen cap feed that is being pushed on a wireless LAN. Add some smartphones, tablets, computers, monitors or even stream it online to the other side of the world or for live broadcasts and people can see what's being recorded on just about anything.

I need a small monitor for my gimbal, been shooting on it almost blind for a while! 

Liked the SmallHD, didn't like the price. 

This looks much better - sold. 4k one next year then. 

I can also see someone coming up with an inventive way to rig it up with the Micro Camera - not that weird way demonstrated in the marketing photo with a magic arm. 

​Ah! I can just imagine the Micro on something like the Ronin M or somehow on the Pilotfly H1 and the likes. Awesomeness! Hope that will be the next big NAB thing. More gimbal stabilizers!

Yeah, it looks really counter intuitive, the cable from right up going down left around. Bit of a mess. But I've read that the Video Assist's display orientation will automatically adjust to its physical orientation, so I assume you could use it upside down and then I bet there will be a small ass pluggy cable that fits nicely and just runs nice up and down.

​Where did you get confirmation?

​I think he must've interpreted 'You can simultaneously record full 10-bit 4:2:2 HD files on the Video Assist and capture full resolution 4K RAW digital negatives on your camera!' as such. But I'd say nothing points in the direction of it actually taking 4K signals and downconverting it, so my guess would be that that particular statement is false and it in fact does not do this, it just takes monitoring signals that are conform the ones described under SDI/HDMI Video Standards.

- Hum, well. It actually does say 'You can view any SD or HD format and, since it includes a 6G-SDI connection, you can even monitor Ultra HD!', although that seems to go against the specs saying '1 x SD/HD/3G-SDI'. But maybe after all? :P