Panasonic GH4 firmware update brings 24p Anamorphic, V-LOG coming in later update / watch footage

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

nice_shot.thumb.jpg.fad78623185376689f7d

That shot is spellbinding. It has a 1940's technicolor look to it. Almost unreal.

If you are going to push colour this much in post then it just has to be raw.

Full frame helps a lot here too, with the separation of the foreground subjects even though there's a lot packed into the shot, it's quite wide.

I think it's time for me to dust off my 5D Mark II again for raw (5D 3 is going to be sold soon so can't use it) and see if the 1D C's log can do the same fascinating 'extreme' colour grades, without falling apart.

​It's cool that you can push the footage that much without it falling apart. But should you? That shot looks oversaturated and pukey to me. It's the visual equivalent of drinking soda when you haven't for a couple years. It's nauseatingly sweet. Not to mention that all the foliage is suspiciously similar in color, and the sky is a flat, electric cyan. Yuck.

The shot at 3:14 actually impresses me far more. No accounting for taste, I guess!

Show me some technicolor that looks like that... I can't imagine it looks the same. The look sure shows the power of raw, but I really don't like the hdr/over saturated candy colored style. Doesn't have anything to do with a proper monitor or not. 

​Dunno, I just thought technicolor when I saw it.  Actually, looking at real technicolor I prefer that.  Like Marilyn Monroe here. 

technicolor.jpg

Matt Frazer at Panasonic was saying at NAB that it wouldn't have been possible without Panasonic's Professional Video Division (Varicam people I guess) help.    It must be a bit trickier to create a log format that I would have thought.    

If Panasonic could create the same log profile across it's major cameras,  Varicam, DVX200, GH4 it would be a beautiful thing indeed.   The footage above does look promising. I can't wait to try it out for myself. 

• 2 months later...

I'm getting suspicious too. This profile was first demonstrated four months ago. How long does it really take to develop? What's the hold-up?

V-Log feels like empty hype right now. If it turns out that it's not coming to GH4, Panasonic have lost me as a customer.

​I gave it a go. For some reason I couldn't import it in Premiere nor AE (too high bitrate?). Opened it in MpegStreamclip and exported it to quicktime AppleProres 422HQ.

Then Graded the clip with SyntheticAperture in Premiere.
VLogL-SHOGUN_graded.thumb.jpg.9fa509239b

​I gave it a go. For some reason I couldn't import it in Premiere nor AE (too high bitrate?). Opened it in MpegStreamclip and exported it to quicktime AppleProres 422HQ.

​Thanks for sharing this clip, which I wasn't even aware existed. Great that someone had the balls to make an actual V-Log file available - and not just some beach scene with setting sun, but some skin tones to work with! Re-reading this thread from top to bottom, it's kind of depressing to see so many haters and naysayers out there: I really love my GH4. BTW, I finally bit the bullet and bought the Sigma 18-35mm zoom - just waiting for the Speed Booster XL to arrive.

​Same here. Thanks for finding this clip. Gotta love Driftwood, on several levels.

Inspires me to do some test shooting with anamorphic and test the 4K workflow.