Panasonic GH4 firmware update brings 24p Anamorphic, V-LOG coming in later update / watch footage

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Bring on the dodgy colours from people who can't grade LOG!

If it is slow to come out, maybe use the time to learn Resolve 12 :)

​Dodgy Colors from people not knowing what they are doing is definitely an issue.  I'm old enough to remember secretaries all of a sudden being design experts because they got a new Macintosh on their desks.    

Overall, it's a win win.  I'm willing to sift through the crap to find gold.  :)

Yay! Great news. So much awesomeness is happening! First Blackmagic, now Panasonic comes through! I'd almost say 'EPIC!', but it seems it doesn't quite cover that. :lol:

Just the thing I was looking for to come to the GH4. Atleast V-LOG is more than a little bit of rumours now... the waiting begins!

Anything new on cinemascope cropmarks? They are implementing all these great anamorphic functions, but non-anamorph-shooters still need to duct-tape the display to get a sense of 2:35-framing. Need various aspect ratio cropmarks cropmarks or at least a 2nd horizontal guide line.

​I honestly can't understand why they can't add this function! It would be so simple... 

Lots and lots of upset people on 43rumors, but you're pretty confident V-LOG will eventually come?

​You can't mind their immediatism at all. A lot of the guys upset are those that can't think more than half-step ahead, they make conclusion without knowthing properly, they get upset with rumors, you can't really count on them as some kind of standard. There are beta-testers out there and the new 4K "DVX100-like camera" will already come with it, so those that are too upset and can't wait, should really sell their gear and then buy some camera announced today, and then, in the next big announcement from someone, they should sell all their gear again and buy another new camera and so on.

What a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT that there is no V-Log firmware update in sight. I won't buy a GH5 just to get features that could good and well be added to the current camera. Looks like I'll be selling my GH4 to buy the new Ursa Mini, since Blackmagic is doing things right and putting their customers FIRST! Blackmagic firmware updates are regular and customer driven, already loving my BMPCC, this company makes more sense for pro work. The number 1 update request from GH4 users is clearly V-Log which now is clearly a pipe dream, bye Bye GH4, hello Ursa Mini!!!! 

I am very satisfied with my gh4's but the hype around this firmwware got me to expect more.

For me, V-log won't matter, i struggle with gh4 in low light shooting weddings that i constantly switch between different profiles for daylight and indoors, flat profiles for low light is a disaster, especially for gh4 sensor.

i.Dynamic pushes the DR to the max, there is little one could do in post, even with v-log or RAW, you get noise and detail that it's unsuable from all the noise.

I watched the camerastore review of the firmware and damn that noise, gh4 can do better but not by much, better bring that speedbooster and that 1.4 lens if you want to shoot in low light, and forget about v-log.

I would've wished for 10 bit 422  internally for better grading with masks, even if it was FHD.

Panasonic already has my money, good stuff this new firmware, for some people.

Why not internal RAW or ProRes like the Black Magic Pocket? I love my GH4, but I'm sure they could add those features easily...

Anamorphic possibility is a great news, but 2,35 crop marks to fake it would be more useful for 90% of shooters that just can't afford Anamorphic lenses or for people that wants to shoot with a light rig... and would cost nothing... they already put moveable marks, but one is vertical... why not also 2 horizontal? 

Anyway, I strongly hope for this V-Log at least...

Why not internal RAW or ProRes like the Black Magic Pocket? I love my GH4, but I'm sure they could add those features easily...

Anamorphic possibility is a great news, but 2,35 crop marks to fake it would be more useful for 90% of shooters that just can't afford Anamorphic lenses or for people that wants to shoot with a light rig... and would cost nothing... they already put moveable marks, but one is vertical... why not also 2 horizontal? 

Anyway, I strongly hope for this V-Log at least...

​You are sure they could add those feats easily? Well, you should share your knowledge on the matter by explaining how and which issues they pointed out some time ago in an interview are false.

The comparison between Cinelike D and V-log was pretty cool, bad skin tones and highlights were really tricky and it really seems that V-log addresses that beautifully.

Will that come to the FZ1000 or even the LX100 - which doesn't even have Cinelke profiles?

​Ooh, that would be awesome indeed! The FZ1000 really struggles quite a bit with dynamic range and highlight clipping, other than that it's like a mini GH4 with a bunch of lenses included. The LX100 looks the part and has the 4K, but is missing a bit that dedication to video. Not sure if they would ever want to go there though. FZ1000/LX100 might be a little to consumerish for them to want to give 'em this.

'Russian', they say and I saw some big anamorphic 'blocks' in the video, must be LOMO.

Thanks, I wasn't sure.

I hope more people will watch that 10 min. video - I'm really impressed ! That organic look is sooo beautiful and feels sooo right. I think 24p Anamorphic is the perfect addition to V-Log, which I'm sure will come in the near future.

Honestly I think some people need to either cough up more cash or quit whining so much and learn the benefits of patience.  VLOG will come out or they wouldn't be beta testing it now with these guys.  Panasonic knows how important it is.  If they didn't they will know it when they look at the Ursa Mini.  The price difference between an entry-level Mini and introductory price GH4 is so low that they have to be worried.

If you think that VLOG is mandatory you either have the wrong camera for the job or you haven't learned how to expose properly.   The most impressive VLOG demo in that video is the side to side comparison outdoor with a bright background sky that's blown out.  Go get yourself an ND grad.  Jesus.   You have to learn how to work within your limitations no matter what camera you bought.

I bought a GH4 for personal projects because for the most part it's easy to use, has 4k and looks pretty damn good out of the box.   For my high-end projects I do the same as everyone else - work out the budget and part of that is renting high end lenses and cameras.   When your looking at a multi-million dollar budget, the cost of renting your cameras comes to practically zero.

Now stop whining and go create some awesome stuff with your GH4, A7S, Pocket Camera or whatever.  It's all good.   Remember that the Wachowski's could have made millions even if the only version of the Matrix they had was an iPhone video.

What a shame, upsetting NAB from Panasonic. No interchangeable lens camera and GH4 didn't get V-log or 2.35 guidelines! Most of us don't use actual anamorphic lenses, we would just like to have the guidelines as a reference even if we've been able to compose for it. URSA Minor 4.6K is the star of the show  

I feel your pain - I'm in the same boat - but I'm sure those will come soon.

​You are sure they could add those feats easily? Well, you should share your knowledge on the matter by explaining how and which issues they pointed out some time ago in an interview are false.

​I'm not a technician, but I started shooting on Canon and Magic Lantern, then I switched to Panasonic because (thanks to EOSHD) I tried the mighty G6 that is still a miracle for me: great cinematic videos with an humble 27 mbps codec at a price that normally you could buy a point-and-shot camera or a 2 years old smartphone. Not to talk about peaking, EVF, long life batteries... and the possibility to use all sort of lenses.

I'm grateful to Panasonic! Even more with my GH4! 

But I'm not a fanboy and I see that BlackMagic Pocket can record RAW and Pro Res internally.
So, why could that should be hard for Panasonic?
Unlike Canon, they PROVE WITH FACTS that they listen to enthusiast shooters (or shooters on a budget), so I cannot understand why they don't add those features, like BlackMagic did.
I'm not upset like other people, I can live without V-Log of course but, since I read here that *maybe* something like RAW or V-Log could happen during NAB... I just hoped!
And I add my personal "request": a simple 2.35:1 crop marks (at least this one should be easy, no?) that could help me to better frame my video until I can not afford the real anamorphic way... 

theSUBVERSIVE, we are on this forum to talk about something we like: I have no knowledge about firmware to share and nothing to demonstrate here (less then ever some truth or lie to annunce to the world!), I just hope Panasonic can put some more technology in my trusty GH4, because if Magic Lantern (that is not an industry's leader with 100 years of history like Panasonic) can turn the old Canon 50D into a movie camera, I'm sure that Panasonic could give us RAW and ProRes more easily...

​I'm not a technician, but I started shooting on Canon and Magic Lantern, then I switched to Panasonic because (thanks to EOSHD) I tried the mighty G6 that is still a miracle for me: great cinematic videos with an humble 27 mbps codec at a price that normally you could buy a point-and-shot camera or a 2 years old smartphone. Not to talk about peaking, EVF, long life batteries... and the possibility to use all sort of lenses.
I'm grateful to Panasonic! Even more with my GH4! 

But I'm not a fanboy and I see that BlackMagic Pocket can record RAW and Pro Res internally.
So, why could that should be hard for Panasonic?
Unlike Canon, they PROVE WITH FACTS that they listen to enthusiast shooters (or shooters on a budget), so I cannot understand why they don't add those features, like BlackMagic did.
I'm not upset like other people, I can live without V-Log of course but, since I read here that *maybe* something like RAW or V-Log could happen during NAB... I just hoped!
And I add my personal "request": a simple 2.35:1 crop marks (at least this one should be easy, no?) that could help me to better frame my video until I can not afford the real anamorphic way... 

theSUBVERSIVE, we are on this forum to talk about something we like: I have no knowledge about firmware to share and nothing to demonstrate here (less then ever some truth or lie to annunce to the world!), I just hope Panasonic can put some more technology in my trusty GH4, because if Magic Lantern (that is not an industry's leader with 100 years of history like Panasonic) can turn the old Canon 50D into a movie camera, I'm sure that Panasonic could give us RAW and ProRes more easily...

​There was an article right here talking about the difficulties and the trade offs to be able to bring things like RAW - and even if there wasn't one, things are not really that simple, right? It's far from being as easy as you put, that's my point. You either have knowledge to talk with property about things like that or you don't, but I hardly think that the way to go is to bluntly make statements like that. Everyone can be wrong, but at least bring some arguments that tries to back it up.

The comparison with BlackMagic doesn't make much sense, they are very different cameras and they were launched with different feats. It's like saying, the GH4 has great battery life, why can't the BMPC have it too? The GH4 has 96fps slow motion, why can't the BMPC have it too? It's too simplistic to put that way.

For instance, the GH4 may be able to record RAW, but it would be capped by some things and they wouldn't be able to provide a full support since there are HDMI limitation, heat issues, datarate, firmware can become unstable, etc. They were testing but if I remember correctly, they would have to give up some type of monitor capabilities, as tre original pipeline that starts in the sensor didn't had RAW recording as part of it. The processor may not have ProRes codec because it was never intended to it.

It's far from being "BlackMagic did that, so Panasonic can do it too", even more when a camera was launched without those things in mind, so it's not just software firmware, it's also about hardware limitation, plus the market and other models.

I'm not a technician and far from it. Hoping, wanting, requesting, that's one thing but I'll never put out there bold statements saying that I'm SURE about something I barely know how it really works.