Panasonic GH4 firmware update brings 24p Anamorphic, V-LOG coming in later update / watch footage

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, I'd like it somewhere in between what Inazuma and cantsin came up with.

Inazuma had a nice base. But it looked a bit dimmed and greenish. catsin took out the green and added some contrast. In the process making it a little too blueish/purpleish and boosting the highlights a little too much for my taste. Yes, that might pop a little more, but for me it takes out a bit of the flatish filmlook and I would prefer a little warmer tone in that scene.

The other ones had a too strong blueish cast. With the last two going straight for the typical Hollywood teal/orange look. :D Fun to see all these different takes on it.

What I find really cool about all these grades is that despite being completely different, they all look good in their own way. That's really encouraging. Some cameras can only pull off one or two looks successfully; one advantage of LOG (and good color science) should be the flexibility to successfully pull off many different kinds of looks.

What I find really cool about all these grades is that despite being completely different, they all look good in their own way. That's really encouraging. Some cameras can only pull off one or two looks successfully; one advantage of LOG (and good color science) should be the flexibility to successfully pull off many different kinds of looks.

​Yes, but my strong suspicion is that 10bit external recording really helps with the LOG footage. The material would for sure not grade as well if it had been recorded with the internal 8bit codec.

​Yes, but my strong suspicion is that 10bit external recording really helps with the LOG footage. The material would for sure not grade as well if it had been recorded with the internal 8bit codec.

Of course, but external recorders are getting cheap and most people just downscale their 4K anyway. I'd record everything externally, but have the internal 4K going as a backup in case there's a shot that needs cropping or stabilization.

Would be cool to have something like the Atomos Ninja 2 that would do 4K.

The Blackmagic Video Assist seems pretty decent, but something even more basic/smaller with less focus on monitoring, just something simple that offers sweet 4K recording at competitive prices without having to go Atomos Shogun/Convergent Design Odyssey7Q+/Video Devices PIX-E5(H) you know.

Of course, but external recorders are getting cheap and most people just downscale their 4K anyway. I'd record everything externally, but have the internal 4K going as a backup in case there's a shot that needs cropping or stabilization.

​Okay, but how good is the 1080p HDMI signal of the GH4? Is it 10bit 4:2:2 with clean downscaling/binning from the sensor's 4K? Would, for example, an Atomos Ninja Star record high quality 1080p video from the GH4?

​Okay, but how good is the 1080p HDMI signal of the GH4? Is it 10bit 4:2:2 with clean downscaling/binning from the sensor's 4K? Would, for example, an Atomos Ninja Star record high quality 1080p video from the GH4?

Absolutely! I know several users who use the exact working style I described and get exquisite results. I'm away from home without my laptop, but a casual search should bring up some samples. If you're smart about your picture profile and settings, you can get stunning 10-bit 4:2:2 footage out of that HDMI port.

• 2 weeks later...

Umm Yeah...Taken them long enough, better late than never tho...or is it too little too late maybe.
One thing tho Jordan from the Cam store says he now mainly uses it as his B Cam to his Sony FS7
He prefers it over the A7S now (his older B cam), judging by some of his posts he seems to really love it.

So it may hold up against the A7R 11...maybe, obviously the A7R will kill it in a lot of areas, but maybe ease of use,
price, gradability etc..will give it some air.

I think the delay is that Panasonic are waiting for the DVX200 to ship before letting the cheaper camera get it. On B&H the ship date for the DVX200 is listed as October.

I also take this as a sign that the GH5 is still a long way off. We're not even hearing rumours about it yet.

Why wait...

I think it's likely Sony will release the A7000 earlier than October. Pretty sure it will get 4K and S-Log (even the compacts have it, so Sony won't hold it back from any future camera).

And then the rumors about V-Log being a paid upgrade... I wouldn't be happy with that, as a GH4 owner.

Glad I just bought my 2nd GH4 body!!....new Metabones speedboster xl Nikon G arrived last night...big difference in the crop factor and the build quality on the adapter seems even better than before...It's good to have a confirmation from a Panny official that they are releasing vlog...now onward to the last step to make this the perfect camera for my use:)

Last week I met the Panasonic sales-man in my favorite shop, he told me that V-Log should come out in mid August... it's a long wait 'till October... :(
They should add the 1.85/2.35/2.39 crop marks and maybe a nice ProRes option via SD card, as my BM Pocket does. It should be not so hard for them.. I would pay for that!
I love my Pocket, but the GH4 is far more easy to use run and gun!

V-Log! V-Log! V-Loggggg! :)