Why the new BM are a semi fail

wolf33d

BM micro cinema : a gopro with RAW and better sensor. Amazing!

Wait, S16 sensor, how on earth do I get super wide angle with my M43 lenses and a S16 insane crop sensor...

No worries, BM gave us a dream camera, x times better. The same micro, studio. Add 4K, M43 sensor (perfect 2x crop) for only 300 bucks. Wait... This camera can't even record internally. 

Why not make best of both world with the same camera and just a SD slot? 

The Micro cinema should not exist, only the micro studio with SD slot... 

Also, where is the Pocket 4K? I mean, we all want a M43 sensor with 4k like in the 1300usd micro studio, in a pocket format with built in screen.. 

So frustrating, black magic innovates a lot with insane prices, but do half of the job :(

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Wait, S16 sensor, how on earth do I get super wide angle with my M43 lenses and a S16 insane crop sensor...

​With the existing BM Pocket Camera Metabones Speed Booster it's no problem.

I expect it will fit the new cams as the flange distance and mount is the same.

​That's effectively a 42mm on a super 16 sensor.  Hardly wide at all. 

​I've heard you can move copters away from your subject ;)

I generally use the 1080p crop on GoPro to avoid the fisheye and I imagine that is a similar focal range....

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The micro studio camera is not m43s sensor, just s16 like the normal micro version but with 4K resolution instead of 1080p in the micro. The 4K sensor in the studio micro is not suitable for a drone camera, or even a s16 cinema camera at all. It has tons of aliasing/moire, atrocious rolling shutter and much worse lowlight performance than the micro 1080p sensor. 

If they'd taken your advice of only making the studio micro version with an SD the product line would have been dead on release. Great job.

My advice is that they should have added a screen on the 1080 micro and called it the pocket v2. It already is what all pocke users wanted, 60p, global shutter, remote gimbal use, solved battery issue, just removed the LCD. 

You can add one quite cheaply on the hot shoe and have a wonderful s16 cinematic tiny camera with internal raw and 13 stops of DR, which can be transformed to near 35mm with the pocket SB. 

Haha 14mm? It si 42mm dude. Move from the subject ? Lol..

Andrew, this is an action cam, so on my helmet or drone every gram counts, the SB is not welcome, especially considered the added cost.

dont get me wrong, Blackmagic does great thing, I am just frustrated with those new products. They could have arrange better the product line in my opinion. 

Well, I miss the ability to use my growing library of mft lenses with any of the new cameras, unless I missed something.. First of all, some of my best glass is mft, secondly, nice to have electronic contacts for exposure, third, occasionally it would be nice with AF.

I do think their Video Assist looks interesting though - it doesn't look like it has peaking though, which would be too bad since my GH3 is missing that too.

I agree that the sensor size is a bit problematic for action cam use.

You don't want attach a speed booster and a Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 in a situation like this.

Only native option I can think of is the Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye.

Each to their own. You will have to rig up a Sony a7s or something and have a more powerful rig.

Global shutter and DR are far more important, in my opinion, than crazy wides... For copter work. Would I prefer m43... Sure... Does s16 equal a fail... Not for me.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Gopro will have an advantage in size yes. As sensor size goes up, so does lens size to get the same fov. The point of this camera is that it's a bit larger BUT produces massively better image quality. 

If you want smaller sensor, smaller lens, less connectivity, and the gopro image is fine for you, then it'ss the one you should use. 

I don't see this as a direct gopro competitor, it's just a category up, with still manageable enough size.

Gopro will have an advantage in size yes. As sensor size goes up, so does lens size to get the same fov. The point of this camera is that it's a bit larger BUT produces massively better image quality. 

If you want smaller sensor, smaller lens, less connectivity, and the gopro image is fine for you, then it'ss the one you should use. 

I don't see this as a direct gopro competitor, it's just a category up, with still manageable enough size.

I love GoPro. What a series of innovative cameras! 

I agree with you though, the GoPro isn't ideal for a lot of professional work - I've had so much drone footage put in the bin because the GoPro image didn't quite cut it. I've also been disappointed with GH4 drone footage, the last project I did was shot in 4k and it had aliasing all over it. Very surprised!!

This Micro Camera would be a great experiment... Quite the companion to the new URSA! 

I love GoPro. What a series of innovative cameras! 

I agree with you though, the GoPro isn't ideal for a lot of professional work - I've had so much drone footage put in the bin because the GoPro image didn't quite cut it. I've also been disappointed with GH4 drone footage, the last project I did was shot in 4k and it had aliasing all over it. Very surprised!!

This Micro Camera would be a great experiment... Quite the companion to the new URSA! 

​Wow aliasing with GH4 4K? I thought it was supposed to be quite good in that department.  Were you viewing the footage on a 4K native monitor??

It seems my disappointment regarding lens mount was misplaced. It is indeed active mft cameras, both of them! Definitely super interested now. Combined with the new monitor/recorder, it could be a nice solution, though with that recorder 4K is out of reach. Still nice upgrade-able path, in my view.