Red Weapon is 8K Vista Vision

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks interesting. Really not sure how anyone can deduce that this will look better than the Alexa just because it is 8K. How is resolution going to make the image more cinematic? That has been disproven time and again by the Alexa. Along with many other elements that make up the Alexa's image, one of the most powerful things is the highlight rolloff, which no camera out there has currently been able to replicate. We'll have to wait and see if the Weapon gets close.

There are very few lenses that will resolve 8k onto a full frame sensor.  even less of them with character or soul.  it's a shame RED always seem to use the number of pixels as a marketing thing - like consumer companies rate stereos in pmpo watts.    Imagine they did the a7s route - a 4k full frame sensor with huge pixels., but with the red raw back end.  

That said, a 4k downscale from the 8k full image area will be insanely clean.  it's only now that a high end medium format to full frame focal reducer is a worthwhile venture - squeeze an 80mm image circle of 40/lp/mm onto that sensor and the 8k will be viable!  forget the speed improvements, its now resolution that is the goal from lenses.

There are very few lenses that will resolve 8k onto a full frame sensor.  even less of them with character or soul. 

​it's not the first time i hear about this, some people woried even for 4k.

I am curios how can this be explained, in my understanding, a lens that can resolve, let's say a 36mp nikon sensor, nikon d800 or d810, that lens can be used for RED too.

Also, the cinema lenses, from canon at least that cover FX sensor, are way bigger, a lot of glass compared to a photography lens at the same focal range, why can't they resolve 8K video ?

I am curios for an explanation from a proffesional who worked with expensive lenses.

​it's not the first time i hear about this, some people woried even for 4k.

I am curios how can this be explained, in my understanding, a lens that can resolve, let's say a 36mp nikon sensor, nikon d800 or d810, that lens can be used for RED too.

Yes, this is indeed true.  however, there are very few lenses that will resolve onto 5micron sensors.  the majority are designed for small sensors.  bigger sensors up until the last year have been limited to 24mpx - which is still more than most 135mm format lesnes are able to deliver in their typical aperture range.  

I belive there are only 2 135mm format lenses that will deliver 36mpx onto the d800e.  these are the otus lenses.  and they only just do it.  

https://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/Digitar.pdf  thi pdf is pretty good at explaining the theory

There are quite some lenses that resolve more than 24MP, or at least more than 4K. To make the most of the resolution you will have to resort to high quality primes though.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Ratings/Optical-Metric-Scores

Probably some of the top lenses will score higher when tested on the 50 megapixel Canon 5DS cameras.

There are a LOT of lenses that resolve more than 8MP (4K), so there is an advantage even if you don't resolve the full 8K resolution.

On the other hand, a 6K 'Vista Vision' sensor maybe would have made more sense. Plenty of extra room for 4K finishing and bigger pixels for higher sensitivity and dynamic range...

I'd hope it would out-perform the dragon in low light. The skintone dragon's image is very noisy at 800 ISO in tungsten and difficult-to-use beyond that. 

Still looks pretty cool. The bigger sensor will matter more for sharpness than added pixels and if you can rent this, you can afford a few truckloads of lights.

As a Dragon owner...I think I will stay put OR downgrade to BlackMagic.  Really loving the new URSA...especially the upgradable sensor thing.

The whole upgrade path doesn't make much sense until I can see some images from it.  I'm willing to pay a few extra thousand dollars to wait until the thing is actually IN STOCK.

For now, 6K/15 stops of dynamic range/120 fps in 4K is good for me.  It's actually too much.  Hello BMCC Ursa 4.6k :)

There are quite some lenses that resolve more than 24MP, or at least more than 4K. To make the most of

​Vista-RED, Alexa 65, Panavision 70, a fierce competition is now opened
for big screen origination domination,
and the winner will be... the one able to get the highest def, no-monster lenses.

Me think it will be Panavision with it's mysterious ultra-light glass technology.

I've got my money on Alexa 65. Never been fond of RED's colour-science or claimed dynamic-range.

​First of all, Alexa 65 is currently not for sale, you can rent for $10K a day from ArriRental. No doubt, the images captured by three vertically stiched Alexa sensors are stellar. There's nothing wrong with post-MX sensors by RED in terms of color science and dynamic range. The main problem of Dragon with STH OLPF is higher noise levels than LLO, even though the texture of it is improved if DEB feature is enabled, it's still a little grainy if underexposed, though. On the other hand, ARRI puts out a solid product from top to bottom, no bullshit. Well, except for all that "cinematic 4K" uprezzed from a good ole 3K Alev3 sensor. Now that's a fat sreaming pile.

• 2 months later...

Hi and 2 things for your reference:

1. To play 8K video smoothly. 

8K ultra HD movie has made its way to YouTube. As Ghost Towns, a two-minute video filmed in 8k resolution was released on YouTube earlier, and the news says almost no one can watch it, people start to question if they can actually be able to play 8K movies on iMac or PC. Well, there indeed are factors need to be considered and problem to be solved but the answer is yes, and then another question comes, how can I play 8K movies on my Mac or PC?

2. How to get more 8K videos to stream smoothly? 
      8K TV display is taking the  place of 4K 5K videos movies to blast your eyeballs, and will be replaced by even higher pixels to come, for sure. Now to the point: Are you planning a budget on a 8K TV display but got no authoritative review to turn to? Or you paid for that insane 8K Samsung TV but no 8K TV channel? This is a tutorial for your to detect the maximal amount of 4K 5K 8K UHD videos movies to AirPlay to 8K TV.
      This freeware downloads 8K video from YouTube superfast in any bandwidth environment, serving as the first mature software to download 4K 5K 8K 4320p videos superfast, and sure enough, in terms of your 8K TV Quad UHD display, be it Samsung, LG or Apple TV, it envoys every pixel to reach the stunning 8K screen intactly.

5kp-aiplay-8k-tv-yxt-061201.jpg

5kp-aiplay-8k-tv-yxt-061202.jpg