New Blackmagic Cinema Camera and URSA Mini 4.6K, 15-stops

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Clearly designed for drones.

It's Super 16mm.

Here's the URSA Mini 4.6K, Super 35mm...

URSA-Mini-Just-Announced-NAB-2015.thumb.

Photos from Noam.

​This is the camera I'm most excited about so far, but my impression is that it's not really much smaller than the URSA. I believe this model has the rod receivers built in and the lens on the front still looks pretty small on this body. It appears 'smaller', but I don't think it will be 'mini'. Which means the 'lightweight' feature is probably via light plastic body. Also, it says 4.6K sensor. Does that mean it shoots 4.6K, or just that it's a 4.6K sensor that shoots ultra HD as it also says on the sign?

Guess we'll know soon enough. I'm on Vegas time over here in socal so it's still early for me.

I thinking about the pocket 2 rumor and the mini ursa 4,6k sensor. I think that the new pocket will still be a s16 sensor camera and probably use the same sensor of the ursa mini but with half the size (the pocket 2 will record 3.2k in camera). The increase in dynamic range of the ursa mini (13 for the pocket and 15 for the ursa mini) is cause by the increase in size of the sensor. Alexa 65 do same with the regular alexa: the dynamic range increase 1 stop. In the case of the alexa 65 is the same sensor of the regular Alexa, but bigger.

Uh, wow. That thing is killer.

Love the practical FS7 like design, love the price. 15 stops? What? Hope the EVF isn't too dear and the low light is decent.

I really think this is the one. It's appears to be great design with everything you need at a great price. Could be as much of a breakthrough as the Pocket was.

Wow. The Black Magic mini looks like a lens adaptor its so small. Gimbal, car work, crash cam, kicking it across a field in a beach ball, endless possibilities. Team it up with the new 5" atomos and you got a some serious pocket power. The Ursa at 15 stops is pretty exciting especially if it's still global shutter. At 3 Grand, I'm just floored by the price. I hope they get the sensitivity up. My only misgiving is the built in monitor. I'm a big fan of on boards but I rather have the option to put it anywhere I want or save the weight and hassle and not have it all. 

Wow. The Black Magic mini looks like a lens adaptor its so small. Gimbal, car work, crash cam, kicking it across a field in a beach ball, endless possibilities. Team it up with the new 5" atomos and you got a some serious pocket power. The Ursa at 15 stops is pretty exciting especially if it's still global shutter. At 3 Grand, I'm just floored by the price. I hope they get the sensitivity up. My only misgiving is the built in monitor. I'm a big fan of on boards but I rather have the option to put it anywhere I want or save the weight and hassle and not have it all. 

I don't think that the 15 stops ursa mini sensor will be global shutter and they will have a built in monitor, people show it in other picture.

​It looks like that should be the proper "Blackmagic Ursa."  When I read "mini," I'm thinking Alexa Mini, or even RED.  Just a critique of their marketing, not necessarily the camera.  It's still too big for my liking, but I just think it's funny that it's called a "mini" camera.

​I agree with that. It sure ain't 'mini'. 

I think this camera is what the original BMCC should have been. A camera with proper ergonomics for filmmaking that doesn't require a huge amount of additional rigging.

now i know that this new camera with bigger sensor and 5000 bagllion dynamic range will make me better film maker  those 8 other camera that i  have are keeping my creativity down but i know this is the one

​It's a nice new tool that could solve some of the headaches we have to face. I don't think any of us are under the illusion that it's going to transform us into better filmmakers.