New Veydra Mini Anamorphic 2X Project

Zak Forsman

Very welcomed, in my opinion...

"The Veydra Mini Anamorphic Project is an ongoing development project to manufacture true 2X Front Anamorphic lenses exclusively for the Micro Four Thirds camera bodies."

"The Veydra Mini Anamorphic 2X 25mm T2.2 M4/3 should be available at the end of 2015. We will simultaneously develop other longer focal lengths with the aim to make a 3 lens set available sometime in 2016.  Expected pricing per lens is to be around or under $5,000 USD per lens."

http://www.veydra.com/news/veydra-nab-2015-announcements/

Vedra-Lens-25mm-Anamorphic-outline-Model

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

On one side I really like this.  On the other - price.  It's a balance that's hard to find.  Would a rental house buy this?  Would it be worth an investment in lenses?  Or just go the adapter route which is cheaper but more hassle?  Size is good, but balance that with less DOF of the m4/3 format.  This is a hard one.  After working with so many adapters, only time will tell if the image is good.  I think if they can mimic the LOMO or Panavision lenses, then maybe it's worth the jump.  It's all in the footage and I hope they have some soon.

I think they missed the boat on this one.  a product aimed at owners, but something that doesnt really offer anything more than a isco54 - which will also do 25mm on m4/3, and allow a lot faster taking lens than t2.2.  for this price you;d get a rama 54, and a 0.95 voigtlander.  And be able to then change the taking lens as and when.  

IMO at those apertures and for m4/3 a century 1.33x will suffice since no amount of squeeze ratio will make up for the depth of focus of a 25mm t2.2 on m4/3.  The Century is half the length of that lens. - which is enormously long since they've had to cram a load of elements in there to allow for the 2x squeeze/ 

I think they missed the boat on this one.  a product aimed at owners, but something that doesnt really offer anything more than a isco54 - which will also do 25mm on m4/3, and allow a lot faster taking lens than t2.2.  for this price you;d get a rama 54, and a 0.95 voigtlander.  And be able to then change the taking lens as and when.  

IMO at those apertures and for m4/3 a century 1.33x will suffice since no amount of squeeze ratio will make up for the depth of focus of a 25mm t2.2 on m4/3.  The Century is half the length of that lens. - which is enormously long since they've had to cram a load of elements in there to allow for the 2x squeeze/ 

​To me, the new Veydra project is a valuable experiment. It really shows what the bargain basement price would be like for an anamorphic prime lens. It's the first real bridge between the lower-end dual focus adapters (SLR Magic and Letus) and project lenses and cinema primes. Nothing like it has ever really existed in that price range, aside from the assorted vintage Lomos and Kowas. And of course, it's only built for the micro 4/3-size sensor. Building an anamorphic prime lens in PL mount for Super 35, even to Rokinon-quality standards would easily cost double. And we don't even know if VeydraScope will be any good. Could be a Hawk V-Lite Jr. Could be an out-of-whack Lomo. Gonna have to see the lens tests to find out.

Adapters are cool and all, but useability and flexibility declines at a stronger squeeze ratio. Despite all the different options of squeeze ratio, 2x is really the look. At 1.3x, you can fit wide angles. But 2x, you lose your wide angles unless you build a massive unit. And even then, you'll probably be soft on the telephotos. And building a 2x adapter that actually works with a wide range of lenses is probably impossible. I'm picturing something like Andrew's super-rare 2x Isco Centavision, except on steroids, with maybe a 114mm front diameter and a rear element least the size of the Isco 54. Probably larger. How much would something like that cost? A metric fuckton, I'm thinking.

Despite everyone's dreams and wishes, I don't think that decent quality 2x anamorphic glass that's single focus and has a wide range of focal lengths (whether it be an adapter or a series of primes) will ever really reach DSLR price levels. It'll never be as cheap as an L-series lenses, for example. We will not have droves of photographers picking up scores of cheap 'Scope glass at the local photo shop or video store. Just not gonna happen. The difficulty and expense of grinding those cylinders while keeping down distortion and aberration is simply too great.

Veydra, however, is a step in the right direction.